Marlin 'Toy Box' Install in a 40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just wondering,

Since Advance Adapters can't seem to produce any Orion cases in a timely fashion, I'm thinking of a Marlin 'Toy Box' to compliment my SM 420, 3-speed T-Case in my 78 FJ-40. Anybody done this or heard reports from those who have? I'm primarily wondering if altering the shift linkage to accomodate the 'Toy Box' is a nightmare or not to bad?? Other thoughts on the Marlin box would be great as well...

:cheers:

Scott
78 FJ-40 "Rudy"

Going to be installing one for a customer here in a few weeks when they have another 465/3speed crawler box ready...

I was going to make remote linkage for this install, as there is a Tuffy center console that would be seriously in the way of the Toy box shifter..even with useing the marlin offset, custom bent and welded set up..I do not think that this will be that big of a deal...

I have installed a few crawler boxes in 4Runners and pickups, they have worked great, I hope that the Toybox is just as reliable...

Good luck!

-Steve

It's on my list...have the mini case in the garage already, have a 60-series split case in the garage, just waiting until I recover from the rear link suspension project.

SpaceGhost ran a SM420 > Marlin-minitruck > cruiser split case last year for the EROCC comps and loved it....it was a REALLY sweet setup!

Thanks Fellas,

Encouraging to hear that linkage and install shouldn't be to big a headache...and that some die hard wheelers (Spaceghost) have been happy with that route.

Appreciate the feedback,

Scott
78 FJ-40 "Rudy"

I just got my H42/toybox/3spd setup yesterday...looks great...UPS MFers ripped open the box and lost my toybox output shaft though...Marlin/Dave took care of it and should have the new parts on thursday/friday...

I am stoked...got my tranny rebuild kit this morning....bearings have been pulled. Going to put my 3spd case back together tonight and start working on build the tranny build up...maybe have mock up done by the end of the weekend.

For linkage i am just going to extend my stock linkage as needed.

Stew

I love mine. Connected to a split case, for somewhere near 160:1. Hard on axles! Marlins adapters are top notch, all parts included, easy install! The mini box shifts very smoothly, so I rarely shifted the splitcase.

Does Marlin sell the Mini case - split case adapter? I thought he only sold a 3 and 4 speed t-case adapter, sounds like a sweet setup

Yeppers, Marlin does to the split adapter...click their banner link on this site and check it out, or pm/email Chris Geiger on the forum for info.

I'm looking to go this route, as I am tired of waiting for the orion as well.

I want to use it with my stock driveline on my 78. I'm going to be working with someone on putting a 4-link suspension, with fox airshocks.

What do I need to look out for? Will I need a new crossmember? Has anyone else used it with a stock driveline?

Sorry for the questions, but I have no idea when it comes to this. ???

I just installed the toybox between a sm465/splitcase. I had to cut the stock crossmember out. I am going to use a stock length rear driveline too. I need to move my rear axle back about 7"-8". It was way easy to install. everything fit perfect, and the adapter plates are way nice too.

You are deffinitly going to have to cut the cross member off. I would highly suggest replacing it with another welded in tube cross member. If you look at the design of the frame it is all hot riveted together...boxed from the front cross member to were the wheels arch. If you don't put another welded cross member in then the frame is only solidly attached at the ends.....makeing for a big rectangular box...IE it has more of a tendance to go out of square. I am going to have my buddy with a tube bender bend me up a "new" rear cross member and install it on the last box section of the frame hopefully if it fits...probly drill a hole through the frame and weld it in similar to stock...maybe then box the rear section of the frame in also..not sure....anyway i would suggest putting the rear crossmember back in...

Stew

Does anyone know if AA or Marlin will offer a Toy Box for an NV4500? Will it replace my adapter to the 3 speed case?

[quote author=SPRDAV link=board=12;threadid=12844;start=msg122171#msg122171 date=1079464768]
Does anyone know if AA or Marlin will offer a Toy Box for an NV4500? Will it replace my adapter to the 3 speed case?
[/quote]

I called them a few days ago. The "counter" guy didn't know much and I didn't get to talk to the "shop" guy. (Sorry, don't know those folks yet.) The message I got by relay was that they're thinking about it.

But it would add an additional ~6", which is too much for my 40. I mentioned that AA replaces the Chev tailhousing with a Dodge tailhousing and you cut the output shaft down to the inner splines. He wasn't aware of that setup. I asked if he thought they could incorporate the gears in the space of the existing NV tailhousing and he didn't know. (I realize this may not be possible, but maybe so with an even shorter output shaft??)

(all i know. wishing for gears too.)

That's what I had to do with my Chev NV4500 to fit the adaptor on. It's not fun spending that kinda money and then cutting the shaft off. Everything works nicely, but I'm always in the search for lower gears. Trying to get AA or Marlin to commit and then produce a reduction gear box for the NV might be like waiting around for the "Orion" box. Thanks for the info. The only current alternative is a doubler box to a 203 or 205 Chev box, but then that requires me to replace the rear with a centered Chev or Ferd axle. I'm not even sure if a 203 or 5 will bolt to an NV? Does anyone know?

Thanks,
Superdave

I've got a buddy that is needing lower gears but wants to keep his 4sdp tranny in his 77 fj40. The Toybox seems like a good option. Anyone running the 4spd/toybox/4spd tcase set up. I'm woundering if he will have issues with his driveshaft angles. He is running the Skyjacker 4"lift. Any advice would be great.

Trent

He will be losing 6.75" of rear driveshaft, and if I recall correctly, the rear shaft of a 4 spd truck is not that long to begin with...I will soon be moving the rear axle back to accomidate this mod...

Good luck!

-Steve

I'm installing a rock-box in a '78 40 at my shop right now and with SBC I won't need to cut the crossmember. I'm also in the middle of a marlin for a different customer and think I like the rock-box better in a 40. Not sure yet. Will know by the time I get them both done I'm sure. 8)

flipping the rear springs end for end on the back of a 40 will push the axle back ~3"

If Marlins combo was available before I went to the sm420, I would have definately kept the stock cruiser 4 speed. The extra gearing can be made up in the reduction box, vs the sm420's first.

I had cut the rear crossmember out and replaced it long ago with a bolt in unit. Something I learned a while back was avoid attaching anything thru the bottom of the frame rails. The bolt heads get ground up easily and may be impossible to get a wrench on later. Instead, sleeve the frame rails and attach thru them, works for skid plates and crossmembers.

At one point I had a 15" rear driveshaft, short but with the mini shaft/joints it worked flawlessly. I avoid high speed on road with my Cruiser, so no noticble vibrations. After this last round of mods the rear shaft is 18" and I changed to 1410 joints from HighAngle.

As stated above, the adapters are a work of art, almost hate to install em!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom