Marlin Crawler 70” Slider install and rocker panel BS (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So the blue HF welder did not survive my attempt of uograding it. Something got hot, my resistor fried and the feed motor burnt up. So I grabbed a Titanium 125, much better unit. After playing around I need to slow down and maybe lower the heat. I may not use this one, hopefully the next mock up goes better.

1680A548-6811-4072-9BBF-9670BA14EFD8.jpeg

A70C971E-504F-4E14-9F41-148D48533AB6.jpeg

263BD6C7-56F2-48CE-8EEB-7D39DD33C7D8.jpeg

E411FFBF-E2CE-494F-A202-8A2449D6D0E3.jpeg

So the blue HF welder did not survive my attempt of uograding it. Something got hot, my resistor fried and the feed motor burnt up. So I grabbed a Titanium 125, much better unit. After playing around I need to slow down and maybe lower the heat. I may not use this one, hopefully the next mock up goes better.

View attachment 2578888

View attachment 2578889

View attachment 2578890

View attachment 2578891

Something is still up - what flux are you using? Are you dragging?

Something is still up - what flux are you using? Are you dragging?
If it slags you drag. I am thinking of getting a better ground clamp, and I need to adjust speed and heat...I think. The wire is what came in the box, I have a spool of US Forge wire, might pop that on for comparison. Also need to get more consistent with gap distance between weld tip and material.

85E9A6B5-E1F5-4CE3-BB53-B403E485D217.jpeg

FB06DCC4-4973-49AF-97D7-AB24B17FF5E0.jpeg

I'm starting to feel like we're getting Punk'd.

I hope so!

It's certainly not the machine or the flux if its out of the box that came with the welder. The Titanium machines work great, and are one of Harbor Freight's best products. I have a Titanium 170 and tried using the flux that came with it - really nice stuff and while it liked slightly different speed/voltage than the Lincoln Flux I have now when I'm running gasless, it worked great and produced very very little splatter. The Vulcan FCAW wire is from an Italian MFG known for pretty good wire.

Looks like yer welding with a sparkler. Are you trying to spray arc weld with out gas?

Lol I'm also feeling punk.

How much stick out are you using? With flux core in my titanium 140 I'm usually like 3/8". Drag it. And check to make sure the polarity is set for flux core. And yes the contact tip to work distance will have a big effect. When I was welding some awkward spots and it got too long it was very "globby" and spattered

This was done with a titanium 140 and flux core (I'm not saying it's great but making the point the cheap machine can at least lay a bead) something is way off
20201203_163916.jpg

Lol I'm also feeling punk.

How much stick out are you using? With flux core in my titanium 140 I'm usually like 3/8". Drag it. And check to make sure the polarity is set for flux core. And yes the contact tip to work distance will have a big effect. When I was welding some awkward spots and it got too long it was very "globby" and spattered

This was done with a titanium 140 and flux core (I'm not saying it's great but making the point the cheap machine can at least lay a bead) something is way off View attachment 2579071
Yeah, this is what my cheap flux core does, it's got a little more slag, but it will lay a decent bead.

This was done with a titanium 140 and flux core (I'm not saying it's great but making the point the cheap machine can at least lay a bead) something is way off

That looks damn good to me.

Maybe a little spatter from some oil that an acetone wipe could reduce, but otherwise I'd be very happy with that.

Looks like yer welding with a sparkler. Are you trying to spray arc weld with out gas?
No, I’m just learning as I go, I think my biggest problem at this point is I’m moving to fast, need to alternate spots welding as well. Both plates warped slightly, not terribly, but definitely flexed a bit

Yeah, definitely need to practice more. Don’t worry neither of these pieces are going to be used, welds needs to be much better.

Yeah only thing I can say is slow way down. Wait until you see the puddle forming and then just keep the arc right at the edge of that puddle as you drag.

It almost seems like maybe your wire speed is too low? Does it sound like frying bacon , a constant hiss or does it like drip drip drip into the puddle as you go?

Again I am no welder just saying what works for me with my little HF welder

Yeah only thing I can say is slow way down. Wait until you see the puddle forming and then just keep the arc right at the edge of that puddle as you drag.

It almost seems like maybe your wire speed is too low? Does it sound like frying bacon , a constant hiss or does it like drip drip drip into the puddle as you go?

Again I am no welder just saying what works for me with my little HF welder
It’s blobbing a bit, maybe up the speed a bit. I’ll play around with it some more tomorrow night and try to get some good looking beads going on some scrap plate. Tried bunching up some speaker wire on the stock ground clamp, but will probably get a brass clamp tomorrow.

Just start with scrap and put down straight beads. You have to see the puddle and walk it. Think little circles where you keep dipping into the puddle and then draw it out a little as you go. The welds you are showing look like you are just sitting in and area and feeding in wire. Those welds may look strong, and they maybe strong enough,but they aren't that strong in the right places. Also you are working your machine way to hard and wasting a lot of wire.

Get some scrap and practice walking a bead. A good flux wire will do what you saw above. They are good welders and just a touch of grinder is all you need to dress them up.

After you can lay down a clean bead then consider welding another joint. And in case it's not been mentioned ensure your metal is oil free. I only mention that because of the insane amount of slag. Clean and dry. Anything else will pop and create slag. Oh, and what was said above. You want to hear a crisp bacon frying sound. Keep practicing.

Reactions: MJK
The last one did look a little better, just keep practicing. The hardest thing for me when I first started messing around was probably keeping the contact tip the same length from the work while also maintaining the same gun angle and travel speed. I still struggle with it. Welding is hard , who knew!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom