Marlin Crawler 70” Slider install and rocker panel BS (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

more patching in grinding...

228FD7C6-5FE3-4DEE-8B9B-7194A8BD62BC.jpeg

15EAE4A0-D79F-4E4B-9462-697318CCF376.jpeg

62A09BFD-9C98-492A-ACAB-9985BEFF6760.jpeg

It'd be hard to get a pic of it, but i used on old license plate to cover the holes I cut when i did the rear shocks. :hillbilly: Sooner or later I'll find a good use of part of a beer can.....
I like your style 🙌🏾

That's hard to look at, and yeah, at a minimum check your polarity. Also, if you are using a flux core wire welder to do sheet metal it's gonna be rough, no matter what. However, for those last horrific pics, it literally looks like you are using non-flux core wire in a flux core wire welder. If you have a flux core (no shielding gas) welder and you are not using a decent flux core wire, it's just going to pop and create insane amounts of slag, like we see here.

I've welded with flux core welders and they are decent with decent flux. Still pretty dirty and need a fair bit of cleanup, but nothing like that. Fuc|< me.

I used the HF flux core and it was OK, but there was a huge improvement using Lincoln innershield.

Your ground clamp should be in the positive terminal for flux core. If you are using solid wire and gas it looks like the gas ain't on. Watch some weld.com videos on YouTube they really helped get me started

Something is seriously wrong with those welds. I've seen polarity flipped welds look better.

Spend 30min on youtube watching videos on how to setup a machine to weld. I guarantee it would be worth your time.

Reactions: MJK
I'm no fabricator, but when someone else's welds make mine look good something is definitely wrong. WAY wrong. Like check double check the setup guide that came with your welder and start over wrong. Are you trying to use solid MIG wire without gas or something?

Generally: Flux core MIG is electrode negative, gas shielded is electrode positive. 1 amp for every .001" of material thickness is a good place to start. You must use either gas, or flux cored wire for a MIG welder.

For carbon steel I prefer INE ER70S-6 .030 solid wire + 75/25 AR/Co2, but will use .030 INE flux core outside if needed.

I agree with the poster who recommended Youtube. Welding Tips and Tricks has good info.

don’t worry I’m sure when I stack dimes like this I don’t have to worry about the middle one, safety first

View attachment 2563834

View attachment 2563835
This was some drunken BS, but my little HF welder does leave a lot to be desired. I picked up a new spool of Flux Wire .30 today and ordered some parts to convert the blue s*** box from ac to dc. So once that’s upgraded later in the week work will resume. Oh, and my 4X4Labs rear bumper kit has shipped, so that’s exciting.

I'd seriously consider just getting a better welder. With the amount of projects you have going, I think it might be a false economy not to.

It doesn't take big bucks to get something nice(r). If you only have 110, a basic gas capable welder is what I would look at.

A refurb Hobart Handler 140 is always a solid choice.

This was some drunken BS, but my little HF welder does leave a lot to be desired. I picked up a new spool of Flux Wire .30 today and ordered some parts to convert the blue s*** box from ac to dc. So once that’s upgraded later in the week work will resume. Oh, and my 4X4Labs rear bumper kit has shipped, so that’s exciting.

Man I gotta say my $350 HF titanium 140 has been perty darn decent. Has gas hookup as well.

I'd even look at buying a YesWelder MIG they have pretty good reviews from hobbyist and you can get 220v for the price of the titanium 140

The wire in it is the original HF stuff from 12 yrs ago. I’m replacing it with some wire made by General Steel, had great reviews many said better than Lincoln wire....we’ll see. I’m also upgrading the ground clamp with a nice brass jobber, and then the DC conversion of the welder. I think all of this will much improve the welds. It’s not that I don’t want a nice Hobart, my BIL has one that I could borrow, but I like to tinker, and make the the blue box better has sort have caught my fancy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom