Mark's Off Road Warehouse Fire Thread (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I mentioned my opinion of our economic system in chat earlier today to @dieseldog, and that reminded me that I finished this essay that touches on the subject last week.

In the old days, I would have posted this to the P&R forum in hopes of having a lively discussion about something extremely relevant. Now that we no longer have that option, this is probably the next best option on MUD (that won‘t require or receive the black hand) because the thread is locked. But you’re welcome to talk with me about it offline.😊

Kobayashi Maru

For those unfamiliar with the term, it was brought to daylight for many by the original Star Trek series. Almost sixty years later, it has entered the stream of discourse to the point that the online encyclopedia Wikipedia has an article devoted to it. Kirk, faced with a computer simulation of a no-win scenario as a cadet, simply reprogrammed the computer! The premise that I took away from Kirk’s explanation to Kirstie Alley’s character in the movie was that ‘when you can’t win, change the rules.’ Four years after the movie, I had the first of several ‘Kobayashi Maru’ experiences in my own life.

In my senior year of law school I took an advanced course in navigating the federal court system. We were given a problem to solve, and a ‘closed universe’ of materials with which to solve it. ‘Closed universe’ means we were not allowed to use ANY materials other than those provided by the professor.

Well I racked my brain like everyone else in the class for a couple of days, as the materials did not seem to match the problem. I thought my logic was up to the task…but it wasn’t. Finally in desperation I went to the law library and opened the universe (cheated). I quickly found a line of cases that illustrated the logic needed to solve the problem. Then I extrapolated a line of reasoning back into the ‘closed universe’ that would allow the problem to be solved with the materials provided.

I wrote my paper, using the given materials for reference, and added a postscript explaining that I had gotten the answer by violating the rules.

To my disgust, when the professor handed back the papers, not only did I have the highest grade on the assignment, the professor admitted that the problem couldn’t be solved with the given materials, and that the whole thing had been an object lesson in not letting yourself get boxed in with rigid thinking. Obviously I was just a little ahead of the curve in figuring it out. But the whole experience left me with an uneasy feeling.

A year later, while taking the California Bar Exam, I faced a Kobayashi Maru situation again. We were given a three hour ‘performance essay’ consisting of a problem and a stack of materials to answer it with. As I recall it now, 34 years later, it consisted of a Vietnam veteran who had been denied benefits for exposure to Agent Orange, along with a number of reports from psychologists on the patient’s mental condition. We were put in charge of the appeal and asked to review the substance of the reports and determine the merits of the appeal.

I could hear audible sobs coming from several fellow test takers, one of whom had been a classmate from my law school. After getting over the initial feeling of doom, I decided to implement the Kobayashi Maru and punt. I wrote an essay explaining that in my opinion it would be a slam dunk case of malpractice to ask an attorney to review the substance of psychological reports.

I explained that I would hire an expert witness to review the reports, asking them to focus with particularly on certain elements of the reports relevant to the objective. I in the meantime would organize an appeal based on the relevant code sections, in the hopes that the results of the witnesses conclusions would match the requirements of the code.

I passed the bar. And as far as I am concerned, Star Trek helped me pass the bar.

I’m writing this because I think the Kobayashi Maru is actually a lot more than a personal anecdote. I think it is a force, and I think that it is a force that underpins current events. In other words, a force to be reckoned with.

From the time I reached 17 and constructed a world view for myself, I have had an abiding belief that our economic system is a huge pyramid scheme in that the vast majority of people are not destined to ‘win.’ Now what constitutes ‘winning’ is a subject worthy of its own essay. For present purposes, let’s call winning the ability to buy and retain a home.

The disparity between those who ‘have’ and those who don’t is not debated. The reasons behind this are many, but the outcome, the conclusion, is agreed.

The thing that makes THIS point in world history so different is that there is a surge, an upswelling, well beyond all previous undercurrents, that ‘its time to change the rules.’ Unfortunately, the vast majority of dialogue is still using straw man arguments about things like diversity when what really need to happen is for people to just go ‘through the front door’ and admit they are calling for a fundamental redistribution of wealth so that more people can have access to the rewards they currently lack.

The biggest problem that I see with this is that America has always touted itself as a meritocracy, where success, winning, is supposed to be based on merit. Things like talent, hard work, thrift are at the core of what we currently consider to be merit. For any real change to occur, there would have to be a fundamental shift in what we mutually agree to define as merit. That, or a wholesale abandonment of the merit-based system.

I don’t think most people really want to let go of the ‘traditional’ idea of merit. There is a visceral sense that the only alternative to a merit-based system ends up rewarding sloth. But unless and until those who want change can successfully deconstruct AND replace what currently constitutes merit, there will never be any fundamental change. Just rhetoric and tinkering.

All this has been to say that in my opinion MERIT is the fulcrum point, the ‘rule’ that the Kobayashi Maru must now be applied to if there is going to be any real, lasting change.

Me personally, I am old, and more importantly ‘set’ financially. I will not be on the front lines agitating for change. But I understand the problem, and 43 years later I still think the current system is a pyramid scheme. The only thing that has saved it from collapsing already is the very careful way in which the government prints more money to trickle out to those most clamoring for change, even though that money is no longer backed by anything except our mutual agreement to accept it. That and the fact that people like me still believe in merit.

As always, hit a like button or something to let me know you dropped by.😊

Last edited:
Atomic, four months old
68C70D8A-09CF-4BAD-A435-62B8FF528AD6.jpeg

My wife, daughter and grandson are currently in Tennessee checking out the weather, the flora and fauna, as well as the housing market. While I continue to hope that they will come to their senses and stay in California, I’ve had the same wish (coming to their senses) about the whole country regarding this Covid thing, so I know how likely that is. :rolleyes: I expect that there will be a family meeting once they return, and perhaps I will get to finally hear the ‘logic’ behind this idea.

I’ve always considered my daughter to be a fundamentally logical person, but the reasoning behind the idea of moving continues to elude me. I understand that the California government is so messed up that a lot of people want to and are leaving, but there are reasons to stay too, and not just because of inertia. I have an essay in chat about hats I’m thinking about at this moment, as I see my daughter faltering under the weight of all the hats she’s currently wearing. As if being the mother of two infants wasn’t a full time job, she is now a Director at Live Nation. And let’s not forget she’s also the wife of a man 11 years older, whose been diagnosed with a terminal illness. ☹️

How it makes sense to take those hats and move them to a place where you have neither a familial or social network eludes me☹️ But I have a strong feeling that a LOT of parents have to sit back and watch their children do these kinds of things. I suppose my own parents scratched their heads more than a few times about my decision to more or less turn my back on my legal education and pursue a career as an auto mechanic when I had a wife and two small children to support. :meh:

In the meantime, my semi-retirement hasn’t taken any more shape than before. I’m trying to limit myself, with varying degrees of success, to about 10 hours a week of work in the shop. I continue to get numerous offers of work that I still enjoy doing. I just looked over another large FJ40 project on my way out of town last weekend on a camping trip. But I am becoming more and more comfortable with letting hiking, cycling, home improvement projects, camping and playing music with friends take over the bulk of my time. In some ways it’s also less frustrating having the shop as a hobby than as a business. Im still trying to decide why that is, but I think it’s got a lot to do with consumers changing attitudes, and my lack of interest in dealing with them.

As always, please hit the like button if you want to let me know you stopped in for an update.

Last edited:
Tina sent this yesterday.
B5D40721-7C21-496B-9073-4FD687E47BFF.jpeg

Another chapter closes on my life. This one spanned 41 years.☹️ Off to a new home…in Germany.
F95A376B-2FAB-497A-8EB6-ED1ED50D2FC8.jpeg

Last edited:
After doing a quickie mini brake job on Ruftoys [which brought the pedal from 1&3/4" off the firewall to a respectable 3.5"] I did something I haven't done in a few years: WENT CAMPING IN IT!!!!

E47BFAA8-69A5-4382-A500-D8E51180EC58.jpeg

I've had the 45 and the Karma Cruiser out several times, but IIRC, it's been 3 or 4 years since I took Ruftoys out on the trail. Either the weather hasn't been optimal for running open, or I've just been put off because of the ticking time bomb of the Orion transfer case [which I will pull out once and for all this winter]

Well, the trip was a much needed shot in the arm.:) If I've had Ruftoys in Death Valley since I completed the suspension mods, I don't remember. But it easily outperformed both the hardtop 40 and even the long wheel base smoothness of the 45 with the current setup. Even hitting whoops at 40mph, the tires never left the ground. The long-travel shock towers and Doetchtech shocks on the front with the Ironman springs flex well with the 6 banger over them. The used 5"Alcans I got from @Cruiserdrew for the rear, along with the repositioned shackle hangers and Ironman shocks, absorbed the DV washboard like an IFS.:)

Honestly, I was beginning to wonder if I should sell Ruftoys, having used it so little, and now having broken the ice by selling the Blazer. Now I plan to pull the two racks off, reinstall the OD canvas top, and head back out to DV next month to make more music with my desert friends.:)

Avenger turned six months last week.

1635083267583.jpeg

As I prepare for another trip out to Death Valley, it seems appropriate to post another update. My daughter and her family are still on track to leave CA for TN by Thanksgiving. Odds are against me seeing my grandchildren before they leave, and that I will left only to say that I last saw them in July…over my mother’s grave.☹️

I have kept myself busy all summer and fall with home improvement projects, and making progress on things that make me, well…make me happy! The day before I messed up my leg in April, @Kofoed , @HKforte , Jakob and Brian helped me put the roof up on my new pavilion
ED211F35-4F18-4151-97B3-DD2ABE2B09DB.jpeg

Last edited:
As soon as I was reasonably ambulatory in June I bought a scaffold and got to work taking down all the cottage cheese from our living/dining room ceiling in preparation for a full remodel with new windows. I put in a call to Oscar @tequila4x4 about getting the guest house repiped, as I would like to get it in good enough shape for us to move into when I remodel the bedrooms in two years.
I took out the window in the kitchen and replaced it with a door that not only helped the plumbers, but improves the ‘flow’ of the house for parties.
BF2BC0EB-521B-485B-B340-D30A4DECE417.jpeg

That’s Mrs. Marks Off Road in a rare candid moment.

Last edited:
Oscar’s summer was as busy as mine, but once he got started in September, he and his trusty crew busted a** every weekend.
186EB134-09D1-48DC-969E-80E196D5FE4A.jpeg
6F740A4D-B686-4F6E-AEEE-ABAF024C5CE1.jpeg

and when they were done, they did something woody can’t do: they turned everything upright again!😛

Last edited:
I barely got started stuccoing the exterior walls back shut with the new door and window o the guest house when our special order dining room windows came in ( only 4weeks @1911 !!!) So, since the misses is not particularly fond of the scaffold that has been a fixture of our living room since June, I switched tracks again and replaced the first of our 75 year old casement windows last weekend.
CC9D7FFF-501A-47B9-87A1-468183A5E8DA.jpeg
28D49054-14EB-4A09-AA0C-7D5A3E24B33D.jpeg

Last edited:
And, because I refuse to acknowledge weakness, I have worked the last three weeks with painful gout in both my feet, taking nothing but natural remedies and occasional doses of Motrin. The step app in my phone confirms that I still averaged 15k steps a day!🥵
Happy to say both feet are better now, and I am better aware of the early warning signs for the next incident (seems to happen every other year)

:cheers:

Please hit the like button to let me know you stopped in for the update. Thanks 😊

(edit) I just realized that my prescription (working) matches the adage in my signature line.😉

Last edited:
Well, as you might imagine, a lot of things can happen in my world in the space of two months…and a lot of things did.

First and foremost is that my daughter and her family did indeed move to Tennessee a couple of days before Thanksgiving. Within two weeks of their arrival they got to experience their first tornado alert, and they have now experienced snow at home, two things they did not have here. As for the rest, only time will tell. My initial anger has turned to quiet resignation, as we are no longer communicating directly. They will do what they need to do, and that will be that. Maybe they will come to California to visit; I will not got to Tennessee.

In the meantime, Oscar finished his repipe, and I started on the long process of putting the bathroom back together, changing the window out, putting the surround on the tub, measurin, cuttin, hangin, taping drywall. Then weeks of building up plaster to sand down again. Same stuff I’ve been doing since I was 17.

4E57B4FC-B257-45CB-A5E1-A57D90F68393.jpeg

5A0E524C-AF2F-4265-BBFA-16133774D564.jpeg

At the beginning of December I made a prescient phone call to a desert friend to find out if he was going to host his traditional new year’s party, one that he had skipped last year. When he said that he would indeed, but would only welcome the vaccinated, Tina and I decided that we would step up and host a ‘separate but equal’ gathering for all our unvaccinated desert friends…even if the house was torn up! Of course there’s nothing like a deadline that will cause you embarrassment in front of your friends to motivate you!
So I slipped into high gear, doubling up plaster time, buying a toilet and a new floor, neither of which I had the room to store, and bore down on it. Dec 29 I had a s***ty coat of paint on the walls (you should never paint when it’s been raining for a week!) the floor down and the toilet in. By 3pm on the 31st, the sink was plumbed.

1642129636504.jpeg
1642129636504.jpeg

Last edited:
Within an hour of the last guest leaving, I was back at it, using a diamond blade in a 4.5” grinder to cut up some slate donated by @65FJ45 for a pocket shelf above the enclosure. That was an interesting experience, as I’ve never worked with slate before. It’s a little rough, but I was working against a different deadline. And it was good enough. I learned a couple of tricks that will probably come in handy when I do the outdoor shower.
B20C67DF-376B-4F10-97F2-A33C946246E7.jpeg

Found a mirror to match the cabinet, so I bought matching wood stain for the second pocket shelf (TP), the door and floor moldings, and of course the new bifold doors, which I special ordered and just picked up on Monday.

6B894E23-476D-44FC-BF3F-21B2F30A5575.jpeg

Last edited:
That brings us up to this week. On Saturday Tina and I drove down to Oceanside for the first annual Landcruiser summit. I had several people to meet up with, and got to see some old faces that I hadnt seen for a while. The next morning I had some unusual twinges while I was hiking, which I shrugged off as the byproduct of too much sitting around the day before.
Sanding and staining proceeded all afternoon, with the notable change that I felt the need to put on a jacket in 70 degree weather. Hmmm. And the lower half of my body was starting to feel achy, the kind of achy when illness is setting in. I pushed on, and got the last of the door molding up at 7pm.
Monday started off a little better, and I stopped on the way to work to get my new doors from Lowes, along with some new brake rotors for my touring bike. I finished installing the rotors right after my visit with @royal cake at 1pm. But by the time @Yotajeff got here at 2 I was reasonably sure I was indeed sick, and told Jeff to just leave his money on the porch and I would be out to get it after he left. I collapsed on the shop bed. I’ve been here all week, afraid to go home and get my wife sick.☹️
Having not ever been sick AND having a HRM has proven to be an interesting experience. Now when I say that I didn’t manage to sleep AT ALL Monday night, I have a chart in my HRM app that cooberates it by crediting me with 9 straight hours of fat burning…because my heart rate never went below 80bpm!😱
Tuesday was pretty much a dead loss, except for the pleasure of reading some John Steinbeck, which almost always makes me smile. Wednesday and today I have managed to rally about two hours a day in the shop, pecking away at all the projects. Hence the change in my signature line putting off any more repairs until March.

I hope to be better tomorrow. Of course that’s what I thought last night about today. :rolleyes:

Thanks for stopping by. Hit the like button so I know you did.😉

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom