Mark's Off Road Warehouse Fire Thread (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Installed the toilet Thursday morning, the supply line Friday night. Started framing in the window Saturday. And working on the sink today.

Real estate in a bathroom being the precious commodity that it is, my wife was unhappy with all the store bought options for vanities. And having known me for 40 years, she still remembers that when I bought the building across the street from my shop in 1979, my original intention was to go into the cabinetry business. Sooo, she asked if I would build a cabinet that was slightly cantilevered, so the footprint wasn’t as big as the sink.

I got a huge head start out of the fact that she REALLY likes pine. And there’s an IKEA a mile from the shop that sells laminated pine planks for pantry shelves for $10 a plank (36x19). So for $40 I had both sides, the shelf and the door. A few hours later, we mocked up the sink so we could buy the fittings for the faucet.
1606588A-B946-4451-8F82-488D6E90A6D5.jpeg

You are a craftsman!! I like the toilet paper holder!

There’s one in every crowd. :rolleyes:

We were waiting for one that matched the shower controls.
FD90391B-A81D-43C1-BD83-A44A52C5BDD7.jpeg

Nicely done Mark!

Nick

Thanks Nick. Been meaning to call you. So many irons in the fire right now. Thought about it yesterday even.

Soon.

Good riding weather. You been out on your new coupon book lately?

Thanks Nick. Been meaning to call you. So many irons in the fire right now. Thought about it yesterday even.

Soon.

Good riding weather. You been out on your new coupon book lately?
Being in New England one does not take good riding days for granted; so yes, the m'cycle has been out as much as possible before the weather closes in (likely very soon...).

Nick

Getting back to what makes me tick, two back to back stories.

Yesterday, I went to move the SA Cruiser that’s been the major contributor to my Wall Of Shame from the front yard of the shop to the service bay door to start working on the steering. Immediately on startup, the engine was stumbling, with the exhaust chugging and nothing sounding right. Shut off, consider options, restart, check oil pressure. Good. Check all plug leads; good. Look inside dizzy. All good.

Call customer and recommend a compression test, because I have a hunch. Oked. Pull the plugs. Sure enough, five cylinders at 145, one at zero. Pull the valve cover. Nothing obvious. Spin the motor again. WHATS THAT????? HUUGE gap between the rocker arm and pushrod on intake #5.

By the time I return with my box end wrench and slot blade screwdriver to investigate, no more gap! Spin motor again. Gap reappears...and slowly closes.

Weak spring, bent valve, or a burr in the valve guide/valve stem(most likely)

Called customer with news. Rebuilt engine has less than 100 miles and 4 months on it, so the truck got towed back to the mechanic who sold and installed the engine.

I felt pretty good that I isolated the issue as quickly as I did. And so did the customer. In contrast, the knuckle-draggers who moved in next door to me think the first step in every rough running diagnostic is to redline the motor. :rolleyes:

20 minutes later I get a cold call from a potential new local who thinks they’re having carb troubles with their FJ60. Gives me a VERY short description (suddenly won’t idle without choke).

I told him I was busy until after New Years, but he was welcome to call back then. I didn’t even take his name and number.

Today, as I was riding my bicycle, all of a sudden I had a hunch. Went through the caller ID log and hit the button when I got to what I thought was his number. Left him a VM to check the PCV hose where it goes behind the air cleaner.

Took Tina out for lunch. When I got back there was a message on the answering machine. BINGO!!! He checked the hose and was incredulous to find it cracked...behind the air cleaner.

The Cruiser Whisperer strikes again.

Well, here we all are in 2020, the year of hindsight as well as planning for the future. I’ve got some special hindsight coming up. As I was telling @Ghetto Fireman and @Downey earlier today, May marks the 30th anniversary of Marks Off Road! I’m pretty proud of that!

I feel like I should plan some sort of celebration. BBQ?

Looking at the calendar, it looks like the easiest date would be Saturday May 9th. I’ve got a few weeks to nail this down, but I’d have to commit to it pretty early to make it work. There’s a lot of prep that I would want to do to make the place ‘nice’. Right now it’s just a big pile of things I’m planning to get to.

I’d appreciate some input.

Oh and here’s an awesome picture of my wife (turns 60 next month) with my granddaughter
64845778-0255-44D7-B008-78F0FFE29180.jpeg

she's growing right up, 7 months now?

May marks the 30th anniversary of Marks Off Road! I’m pretty proud of that!

Congratulations Mark! A real accomplishment.

Good job! Congratulations.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom