Mark's Off Road Warehouse Fire Thread (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
phone shystems, phone shystems

Set that big bag of family n biz drama down every chance U get. When I met ya and you helped meto build up the 74 FJ40, I was caring for my grandma who was terminal and very combative with dementia.......

Land cruiser whisperer Algazy helped keep me from tipping over the edge that year.......Time flys bruh

Nature finds a way, just like water seeks its own level.....Karma on your side mister

Peace, from Vancouver, BC

I’ve come back to this comment several times Joseph. There have literally been dozens of people who have come to me over the years to tell me that I have made a difference to them at an important time in their life. A few who have said even more.

While I continue struggling with my family’s dramas, it’s nice to be reminded that I have made a difference. Thank you.

Well, I guess it’s time for another update. The Landcruiser motorhome project has taken most of my time since the last update. I wanted to upgrade the bathroom door in the office to one with a frosted glass panel, but I knew Tina would have a fit if I had a nicer door in the office than we have at home!

So I ordered one for home first. ;)

Of course once I got it, then it had to be cut to size (which means crooked!) to match the framing in our 70 year old house, because I’m not ready to remodel the whole bathroom yet! And it needed to be sealed. Fortunately I’ve remained on good terms with the furniture maker that used to lease part of my dad’s warehouse (moved out about a year before the fire). He obliged me by cutting and sealing the door for me. I hung it last Saturday and installed the lock after returning from the in-laws Christmas Day lunch.

In the meantime I’ve just been studying the flow of things with the workbench in the new location before I get rid of the second workbench that will make room for the long-awaited arrival of...a freestanding beadblast cabinet!:bounce:

Oh, and I tore out an ancient swamp cooler that was in the shop when I bought the place. Why now? Trying to chase down a new leak in my long overdue roof.

Last edited:
11F13D14-EE95-46E5-887F-94328DF62917.jpeg

I've just realized that I have not effectively communicated that there is an important exception to the $100 order minimum: if you are BARTERING something with me, I can be a lot more flexible. There aren't a lot of things I 'need", but I obviously collect things for longer periods of time than are preferable for a successful business model.

Just part of the addiction I guess.

Well that old saying that when it rains it pours is true in more ways than one!

Since the first of the year there has been a strong upsurge in both sales and service. I currently have a heavier workload than I can remember for quite some time, along with opportunities for more if I can handle it. Trying to maintain a sense of balance; it’s still work.

One of the things I decided last year was to stop doing the heavy lifting, literally. So when I finished installing the engine in @SW20 rig, we had it towed to a nearby shop to have the transmission installed. This turned out to be a very timely move.

Scott had purchased and set up an awning in my driveway to keep his rig covered. He sandbagged it and it held up well thru the recent storms.

But as fate would have it, I came in today to work on a transfer case that’s going to SLC and was in the shop when I heard a loud crash. In today’s storm the awning buckled and went into the shop door AND THE HOUSE at the same time. One corner missed the kitchen window by inches!
DA7A3408-A604-48E5-8521-587A1C59FB33.jpeg

Glad there was no damage. Mine did the same thing this morning. Ripped the anchors right out of the ground. I've been throwing tarps and cleaning up and getting crap out of the rain, since 8am.

And the damn dog just sat in the doorway laughing at me and saying, 'Global warming is a scam!', in Spanish.

The karma in all this: I’m sure the awning would have heavily damaged Scott’s new paint job, as well as leaving the rig totally unprotected if it were still here.

Last edited:
It was very windy at times......I went up to hike the Stough service road (for the heck of it). Rain was going sideways, and was nearly blown of the road at the pass. The trail is technically closed for repair.

It was very windy at times......I went up to hike the Stough service road (for the heck of it). Rain was going sideways, and was nearly blown of the road at the pass. The trail is technically closed for repair.

Well, that's one way to get the mountain to yourself!:eek:

We got a text message last Wednesday about the trail closure. We'll be hiking at Brand Park for the next few weeks.

Glad there was no damage. Mine did the same thing this morning. Ripped the anchors right out of the ground. I've been throwing tarps and cleaning up and getting crap out of the rain, since 8am.

And the damn dog just sat in the doorway laughing at me and saying, 'Global warming is a scam!', in Spanish.

Having been in your backyard, I can SO picture this! LOL. I pulled the front axle out from under the 60 on Friday and rolled it under the awning where Scott's truck was, thinking I might work on it between storms. HA! Of course it's out in the open now, cause the shop floor is littered with all the jobs in progress. :rolleyes: And the axle itself is a job in progress too: housing to @Crinkler

Last edited:
Well that old saying that when it rains it pours is true in more ways than one!

Since the first of the year there has been a strong upsurge in both sales and service. I currently have a heavier workload than I can remember for quite some time, along with opportunities for more if I can handle it. Trying to maintain a sense of balance; it’s still work.

One of the things I decided last year was to stop doing the heavy lifting, literally. So when I finished installing the engine in @SW20 rig, we had it towed to a nearby shop to have the transmission installed. This turned out to be a very timely move.

Scott had purchased and set up an awning in my driveway to keep his rig covered. He sandbagged it and it held up well thru the recent storms.

But as fate would have it, I came in today to work on a transfer case that’s going to SLC and was in the shop when I heard a loud crash. In today’s storm the awning buckled and went into the shop door AND THE HOUSE at the same time. One corner missed the kitchen window by inches!View attachment 1895204
My apologies Mark. I was not in town, and I was told it was super windy.

My apologies Mark. I was not in town, and I was told it was super windy.

It’s going to take a sawsall to take it down now. And it’s moved between the back door of the office and the shop door. A real nuisance at this point.

After looking at how many more pictures I still have to take, and how my workbench is already getting harder to clean off to take those pics on the nice white background, I decided to invest in a light box. Jim @Downey had one in his office when I met him in ‘92, and he sure had some fine pics in his catalogs!

So here’s my first pic from the new box, a carb I just rebuilt for @hey you. It not only looks spiffy new; Jeff VMed to say it passed smog with the best numbers it has had in a long time.

@RAGINGMATT , I took these pics with my Apple SLR IPad! :p

Last edited:
A steering box I just rebuilt for Mr. Hannigan:

7B69C48C-5301-4997-AE2A-DD9D38A30280.jpeg

Wow!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom