Mark's Off Road Warehouse Fire Thread (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, in between rebuilding a few more carbs and another transmission i’ve started tearing down my old office. I really have no recollection of building it 27 years ago, but I know I did. Apparently I overbuilt the s*** out of it, not knowing how much stuff I might end up storing on top of it. All the 4x4s are strapped to the 4x12 header, and the 2x8s are fully blocked in.

IOW, this is going to take a while.
E08E8268-9ABD-479A-8755-3E550558ACCE.jpeg

Last edited:
Your “how you do anything is how you do everything” was is full effect 27 years ago.

What’s your thinking behind tearing down the platform/office?

Looks like you are getting low on gauge clusters, I see one row severly leaning:cheers:

Your “how you do anything is how you do everything” was is full effect 27 years ago.

Yes it was. But soon it will only be a 'was'. Many of the projects I built for my parents are gone as well, and were not digitally documented. I built my parents a beautiful concrete driveway at their old house with inlaid brick. The new owners tore it all out when they remodeled and expanded. Same with the built-in pantry that perfectly matched their existing kitchen. And the jacuzzi. And then there was all the work in the warehouse. What survived the fire was gutted by the new owner. I really should take pictures of my mom's new kitchen.

My mom went nuts watching me set the anchor tiles on her countertop. Two hours to set FIVE anchor tiles on point, measuring and remeasuring, so there would be no drift in the field tiles. Her requirements were exacting. She wanted every grout line on the wall to continue diagonally from exactly where the counter met it, so that it looked like the wall was simply folded up from the countertop. The effect under bright light is stunning, like facets of a diamond [my father was a jeweler]
Edit: pics of kitchen:
A87A99FB-A1B9-4F38-8975-7B2AFE83D707.jpeg

Vaulted ceiling:
C130FC78-98E9-4F6D-89F0-F2B724EBB07B.jpeg

Skylight window (with help from @Land Cruiser Junky ):
AF6232D0-F9C3-428C-A021-80B6ADA51AAC.jpeg

Last edited:
What’s your thinking behind tearing down the platform/office?

I will have at least 4 pallet racks replacing the space where the office currently is. Hopefully two will be going into place within the week.

Working thru the weekend, I was able to drop the first four feet of the roof of the old office, which meant I could take down that much of the back wall as well
E68BB588-EDCF-4F9D-8196-E2B4AAAE55FE.jpeg
D5A0A64D-80E9-4ADD-9C01-DE4B2878E941.jpeg

With the wall out of the way, I brought over two sections of pallet racking that I’ve had stored in my backyard since the warehouse fire and started the process of reassembly. The studs I had used to box in the windows in the old office got de-nailed and repurposed to hold up the plywood. The plywood came straight off the roof of the old office to get repurposed on the racks. Virtually nothing needed to be purchased
085C6196-F14B-4525-B24D-927C44FE941B.jpeg

Having now transferred all the remaining inventory that was above the office straight onto the top shelves of the pallet racks (walking across was a lot easier than going up and down the ladder!) I can now finish stripping out the old office.

Very tired, but very satisfied.

Not sure where better to post this, so I’m just going to start here, and maybe one of the many viewers can chime in.

Looking ahead, I am using up load beams faster than uprights. I could and would readily buy more, but my racks are apparently a little more unusual than I realized. Here’s a closeup pic of a load Beam (Think Z shape, with an upturn on both top and bottom planes) and a 3 pin, two-face interface with the upright.
257A9B87-70C1-48ED-A223-8B59D9C88437.jpeg

TIA for any assistance.

A mini-milestone yesterday, before I even realized the significance.

I turned the lights off in my old office for the last time.

Hopefully you won’t have to ring your chinese cousin lo tec to look at your up load beams:D

I imagine that old office has seen you help save many a Land Cruiser. :cheers:

The old office is almost gone. Working away. Should be done dropping the walls on Tuesday.
7D4C39AC-2C19-4759-84A9-C90B3D0370B5.jpeg

Last edited:
Not sure where better to post this, so I’m just going to start here, and maybe one of the many viewers can chime in.

Looking ahead, I am using up load beams faster than uprights. I could and would readily buy more, but my racks are apparently a little more unusual than I realized. Here’s a closeup pic of a load Beam (Think Z shape, with an upturn on both top and bottom planes) and a 3 pin, two-face interface with the upright.View attachment 1590795
TIA for any assistance.
If you can't find more matching horizontals, just drill and bold-in more horizontals where you want them (as we did at Downey on many occasion.

THE FRONT WALL IS DOWN!!!!!
6E5A1F61-901F-4D65-898E-DD25F3B11A6E.jpeg

We unceremoniously dropped the last wall a few hours later. I daydreamed for about 10 minutes of keeping the framing intact to add on to the lemonade stand, but my son brought me back to reality and we dismantled it. Half the 2x4s have already been repurposed into the new rack I put up on Friday.
EC38F788-0CF7-4551-91A6-1D95CC68ABBA.jpeg

I managed to get 17 single piece t-cases on the rack, along with 27 bare housings. Found three 75-80 cases I didn’t know I had! The rest are still married to transmissions! D’oh. It’s still pretty exciting to finally get this stuff organized.

I’m beginning to think that when I’m done with this I’m going to have to re-launch Marks Off Road as Version 2.0.

Well I drove into LA this morning to begin the long-overdue process of moving all my stuff from deep storage into the shop, now that the racks are going in. Most of this stuff is what I got from Midwest Landcruiser when I bought them out in 1990. Lots of boxes that remained unopened once I put them in there. It's a daunting and somewhat thankless task hauling most of it, considering how little demand they've had. But karma is what karma is.

Last edited:
I'd be selling those drum brake spindles as pairs to make trailer axles. Or have a local fab shop build you the axle beams that the spindles will bolt to.

Nice work! Organizing my crap so I know what I have is one of my personal goals too.

Nick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom