Mark's / Adapters 6.2/6.5 swap (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Can I use the "bus" trans since it has a sperate TCM? If so what about stall speed in the TC? And shift points?

I would like to go full Mark's Adapters kit plate,mounts and spacer. Is this a good bolt in kit?

How do you get the tach to read correct?

What about the radiator? Is the stock one good enough? If not what is a good replacement source?

It seems everyone is set on 3" exhaust. This is what I plan on unlees someone has a better option.

Where do you get the battery hold down set up for 24v systems?

Thanks

I'm also interested in the details of this swap, sorry cant answer the question on trans. For the 24v just run dual batteries, battery boxes can be order at any Toyota dealer.

Are you sure you want to swap in a 6.2 diesel?

Engine RPO Codes: LH6 ('C' series, with EGR) and LL4 ('J' series)
Displacement: 6.2L / 379 cu in
Bore x Stroke: 3.98 × 3.80 in (101 × 97 mm)
Block / Head: Cast iron / Cast iron
Aspiration: Natural
Valvetrain: OHV 2-V
Compression: 21.5:1
Injection: Indirect
Horsepower / Torque (at start): 130 hp (97 kW) @ 3,600 rpm / 240 lb·ft (325 N·m) @ 2,000 rpm
Horsepower / Torque (at final): 143 hp (107 kW) @ 3,600 rpm / 257 lb·ft (348 N·m) @ 2,000 rpm
Horsepower / Torque (army): 165 hp (123 kW) @ 3,600 rpm / 330 lb·ft (447 N·m) @ 2,100 rpm
Max RPMs: 3,600
Idle RPMs: 650 + or - 25

I like the 6.2 actually, my brother has one and I seen a guy around here (tacoma) with one in his 60. If you treat it like the slow revving torquey beast that it is you won't be stopped. And for a big engine with good amounts of low end torque you get decent gas mileage too.

But I am also usually fond of the indirect injection high compression diesels.

Edit: I will add this chart just so you are not swayed.
And I will look forward to answers from somebody because this is a option for the wife's rig.
you may only end up with 240 lb-ft at 2000rpms but you get 225 lb-ft @ 1250 rpms as well.

GM62-NA-v-turbo.png

Last edited:
If you ever thought the toyota engines in the 80 were gutless boat anchors, stay the hell away from the 6.2. I suppose if all it was ever gonna do is wander over rocks you'd be ok.

There was only one 6.2 I've ever seen that I liked and that was the military spec version in a late 80s army K20.

Is the 6.2 / 6.5 really the cats meow for diesels... Prob not, but as said before if u accept it for what it is, an given the cost and lack or choices available it seems to be the best bang for the buck as far as diesel swaps go. Plus if u score one cheap u can build it before u swap it taking care of all the "known" problem areas... That and a banks system would help!

Matt

If you ever thought the toyota engines in the 80 were gutless boat anchors, stay the hell away from the 6.2. I suppose if all it was ever gonna do is wander over rocks you'd be ok. .

So, exactly how many 6.2/6.5s have you driven that were in a LC? My guess is none...

Come on down to Tennessee and we'll be happy to show how "gutless" the 6.2/6.5 is...I believe out club is up to 5 swaps: two 6.2 40s, one 6.2 62, one 6.5 60, and one 6.5 80 (mine)

I had an old chevy 1 ton that came with a factory installed banks turbo kit (was a 6.2), and it had plenty of power...

You mention that the 93-94 cruisers have a separate TCM for the trans? Is this correct?

i wouldn't knock the 6.2/6.5....I once rode in an H1 hummer up (and down and up in reverse) potato salad hill - it had plenty of torque to climb the far left side without issue. it was impressive. The owner of said hummer was John Gilleland from Durango - he used to drive the Karnivore rock buggy for Avalanche Eng. It was a non-turbo version.

You mention that the 93-94 cruisers have a separate TCM for the trans? Is this correct?

yes, the '93 and '94s use a separate TCU to control the transmission and the later trucks use the engine ECU to control the trans. fastest way to ID is to look for the 2nd gear start button - having the button means the truck uses the ECU to control the trans (ie no independent TCU).

rockrod said:
yes, the '93 and '94s use a separate TCU to control the transmission and the later trucks use the engine ECU to control the trans. fastest way to ID is to look for the 2nd gear start button - having the button means the truck uses the ECU to control the trans (ie no independent TCU).

Is that 2nd gear button on the side of the shifter?

I got a 6.5T in my ;98 Suburban. It has towed my 45 all over the western USA.. The best milage I got was about 15 m/USg towing. Without towing I get about 22 m/USg.

It's not as strong as a duramax but unless I'm on a long steep hill it pulls just fine.

So, exactly how many 6.2/6.5s have you driven that were in a LC? My guess is none...

Come on down to Tennessee and we'll be happy to show how "gutless" the 6.2/6.5 is...I believe out club is up to 5 swaps: two 6.2 40s, one 6.2 62, one 6.5 60, and one 6.5 80 (mine)

You see "6.5" anywhere in my post?

And I had no idea that there were Fs and 2Fs that came in 80s either...

But I do suppose calling them slower than 3fs was probably unfair and incorrect.

chattfj40

So I take you guys are happy with em.;) I was thinking of doing a a440 and a split case also. I want to run a military 6.2 non turbo. My goal is to keep it stupid simple. The least amount of electronics the better. One wire makes em run kinda thing. A bud up the road was just telling me yesterday that he was gonna remove his ABS. He was saying something about a metric T for the lines he was having a hard time finding. Do you know a source? Or are you gonna make new lines? What did you do for a vacumn? I was gonna run a hydroboost GM brake unit. Also did everything from Mark's appear to be a bolt on? Did the A440/new trans bolt right in place also? What kinda of mileage with the 37s? What you have is what I want except non-turbo. Awesome rig man! The US goverment Fs-up all the time. But our military kicks ass all the time. So if its good enough for them. Its good enough for me. I dont think power will be a issue.:D The only thing I will be towing is my 18'1" carbon/kevlar ECC Lostmen flats skiff. Boat and trailer is around 1500lbs

i wouldn't knock the 6.2/6.5....I once rode in an H1 hummer up (and down and up in reverse) potato salad hill - it had plenty of torque to climb the far left side without issue. it was impressive. The owner of said hummer was John Gilleland from Durango - he used to drive the Karnivore rock buggy for Avalanche Eng. It was a non-turbo version.

I haven't found many engines that couldn't go up a hill in low range off road. A good running F engine geared properly is plenty of motor off road... On road? Not so much.

The US goverment Fs-up all the time. But our military kicks ass all the time. So if its good enough for them. Its good enough for me.

GM gets a huge government contract to build military trucks. Do you think they want to give them all the good s*** when they're getting paid the same either way?

The 6.2 is a good engine in that it doesn't have enough power to blow itself up.

Bullet SC Engine Is Bad Ass!!!

It had instant response compared to the turbo. But I am not gonna be doing any tractor pulls. My goal is simplicity and longevity. Thats why I am liking the 6.2 non-turbo with timing gears. If I find it is not enough. I always have the option of a turbo down the road. Just cant add much boost with it being high compression. Maybe 7-8 pounds of boost. Again I like the idea it doesn't have enough power to blow itself up.;)

Snowboardonsnow

Thanks for the graph. It didn't load ealier. I just now saw it. I think a Banks will take care of all my power needs.:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom