Marking compound (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi everyone i am doing my first ring and pinion and have a question. does anyone know of a good substitute for the marking compound that is given in the install kit? i am installing a new ring and pinion for a friend of mine and its my first time trying to set a patter but in case i use the tiny little package that came in the yukon kit i need to know what else works or where can i get a good size container. if anyone knows please let me know what you have used, thanks.

omar

compound

You can substitute anti seize compound or grease it has the same consistency and apply thinly,rinse it off really well since its really gooey its for last resort kind of thing.let me just add that pinion and ring gear set up is not an easy task to do so if this is your first time take the time to measure everything including pinion depth,backlash is measured once you have your preload in specs.just take your time and good luck.:D

I can contest that backlash is a cake walk on these third members but pionion depth.... I am 5 for 6 but on none of them did I say oh ya thats a perfect pattern...... Lets just say I am glad they were mine or close friends. On the one that failed I didnt know it failed it worked perfectly but I later pulled the 4.88s back out and come to find out to my suprise a tooth was missing..... Everything else looked fine. Moral of my story good luck its not easy although doable.

I am not sure if I screwed up on setting the depth or if the trying to pull wheelies with a samurai and a ford 2300 finally caught up with me but regardless it definately humbled me......

i did a wicked write up on how to do this

but what ever the case get a FSM. follow my lead, as there are some goofy steps in there

the compound you are looking for is "prussian blue"

i can set up three diffs with one weenie pack of this

Not so bad a thing to do

But follow the advice given above & take your time
They invented double check for a reason.....use it!

I don't know where for sure he got it...but my buddy had the
set up compound in a jar(with the brush in the lid)

Cream Cheese.

Don't believe me ask Marlin about John's diff at hammers a few years back.. :lol:
rpbreakage15.jpg

Broken Ring & Pinion from Clawhammer

Toast

Shane, does that mean you can reuse the creame cheese when your done? just joking i'm sure it work if Marlin says so.

I would try latex house paint.

I wouldn't use Prussian Blue, or by it's trade name Dykem. It would work, but that stuff is a pain to clean up and it gets everywhere, and it STAINS everything it touches. Imagine using that blue sticky ink from a ball point pen, that's what it reminds me of.

Last edited:
I would try latex house paint.

I wouldn't use Prussian Blue, or by it's trade name Dykem. It would work, but that stuff is a pain to clean up and it gets everywhere, and it STAINS everything it touches. Imagine using that blue sticky ink from a ball point pen, that's what it reminds me of.

Ken I gotta admit, the stuff i been using, i thought it was called prussian blue. Now i always wondered why it was called blue when in fact it was a thick oily, yellow.

the way you describe such goo, makes me second guess what i have been using. I just figured,like the OP said, it was marking compound.

I suppose i dont know what i got. but the old men always use prussian blue, and since then that what i called it.

like a cresent wrench, or vice grips, or high lift, you know trade names that stuck.

Cream Cheese.

Don't believe me ask Marlin about John's diff at hammers a few years back.. :lol:
rpbreakage15.jpg

Broken Ring & Pinion from Clawhammer

well I'll be dipped in s***! i hate that stuff, but i suppose a cheap way to use it as a hi tech marking substance I guess I'll try it. I got another setup scheduled for next week, maybe I'll give it a shot

well I'll be dipped in s***! i hate that stuff, but i suppose a cheap way to use it as a hi tech marking substance I guess I'll try it. I got another setup scheduled for next week, maybe I'll give it a shot

It was more of a need versus want situation in using that, nobody had marking compound and they needed to get it installed. Worked out fine, he drove it back from Hammers all the way to the S.F. Bay Area without any issues.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom