Market - question on 2008 Value (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a very clean 2008 LC/133k miles that I originally listed for 28k. It's an east coast truck, so there's some rust on the undercarriage, but not bad at all considering where it's from.

I've lowered down to 26.5 and a bit shocked it hasn't sold yet. What's the right private price for this? It's getting very close to moot as a trade to dealer is only a few thousand away from my target (when I include sales tax). Just looking for honest insight, not a troll to drive traffic to my for sale listing as I'm almost indifferent about trading in at this point. I just thought the market for these was much stronger.

What color?

I think the fact it's white and has some undercarriage rust is what you are up against. I recently purchased an '08, with very similar rust and less miles (100k) for $30K. But, it is Amazon Green. If I had wanted white, there were several to choose from with no rust, and that's the route I would have likely gone... however, I think $26.5 is a very fair price, if you have the patience to wait for the right buyer. People from the NE should look at that truck and be happy with the condition and the price, IMO. Just need that local buyer to pop up. GLWS.

I paid $34 for my 2008 with 69K miles on it in December 2017. It's gold and had new tires and good service records. Data point FYI only.

I think you have a good truck, and a fair price. (even at your original price)

It’s your location. The enthusiast market is out west and most people out this direction would rather look in the west or southwest unless the price is REALLY good. Your price is closer to average but when someone has to pay over $1k to ship and then has to worry if the rust is worse than pictured it makes the deal far less appealing. If you can get close to that on trade if that’s your other option, I’d strongly consider that as you’ll save money on tax and it’s just simply easier/faster.

Thanks for the replies. Gonna leave it at firm 26.5 here on mud, and a bit higher elswhere and see how it goes.... Appreciate all the feedback, just needed to make sure I wasn't out-of-line price-wise.

Thanks for the replies. Gonna leave it at firm 26.5 here on mud, and a bit higher elswhere and see how it goes.... Appreciate all the feedback, just needed to make sure I wasn't out-of-line price-wise.

IMO if you would accept $26.5k from someone here, why wouldn’t you want to accept it from someone elsewhere? If you want to sell I wouldn’t discriminate on price. Just the opinion from someone who’s sold a ton of vehicles in the past.

IMO if you would accept $26.5k from someone here, why wouldn’t you want to accept it from someone elsewhere? If you want to sell I wouldn’t discriminate on price. Just the opinion from someone who’s sold a ton of vehicles in the past.
It's a good point. This forum has always been great and the majority of the user base, very cool. I figured it might be a nice gesture to offer it at a different price, but now that I put that down on paper, I realize it's kinda stoooopid.

It's a good point. This forum has always been great and the majority of the user base, very cool. I figured it might be a nice gesture to offer it at a different price, but now that I put that down on paper, I realize it's kinda stoooopid.

I get where you're coming from and it's a nice gesture, but at the same time you just want to set yourself up for the best odds which means put your best price out there for everyone.

The main reason is the market for a white '08 with rust isn't super strong.
I think you're right, but it's still a great truck at a super fair price. It's never seen a trail or a rock, so I guess it's pick your poison at this price point. The rust is tame compared to many others I've seen. If I was keeping, I would wire wheel and POR 15 not a big deal.

I paid $19.8K for a very clean, 1 owner 2008 that had never seen road salt via eBay. Mileage was a tick higher at 169K.I think you are at a more realistic 20-22K w/ the rust.

What, really @foeix ?! I thought those listings were always scams. I've never seen anything close to that in person. Maybe I'm not as brave as you are.

For another data point, I recently bought a white 2008 with 123k miles, service records, and no rust for $29.4k.

I looked at your thread and while the price is enticing, the rust is concerning but probably better than many in New England. If it was within an hour or two of here I'd be there checking it out for myself.

If it were me I would fluid film the underside, and repost pictures and update the listing.

State in the listing that the truck has typical rust for the northeast, but the truck was recently fluid filmed and continuous application will keep the rust at bay.

It's a $40 fix, and changes the tone of the listing from 'here's my rusty rig - buy it!' to 'here's my honest rig that I make an effort to keep in good shape'.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom