Market for Used FJ40 Brake Booster (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Does anyone buy and rebuild used FJ40 Brake Boosters. I just pulled mine to replace it, and it really doesn’t look too bad. Hate to toss it if someone is refurbishing OEM Boosters for the purists.

If you know it's leaking I doubt you'll find a buyer. Why did you replace it and what did you replace it with? What year?

If you know it's leaking I doubt you'll find a buyer. Why did you replace it and what did you replace it with? What year?
I have a 1978 FJ40. I thought the MC might be leaking into it, but after I bought a new Dual Diaphragm Disc Brake Booster for Land Cruiser FJ40 FJ55 FJ60 from City Racer
I found that is looked pretty good. I think it's still a good unit. There was some rust and corrosion at the mounting location but the seal looks good.

Here's a couple pics. First is the Side going to the Brake Pedal, then the Master Cylinder side.

1650747010991.png
1650747074383.png

I had my booster rebuilt in Denver in the early 1990s. Still working well. Not sure if there are still shops rebuilding boosters, but the core has to be worth something to someone. Pull a vacuum on it, and see if it holds the vacuum.

So, I hook up my vacuum hose to it to “pull a vacuum on it”? How do I tell if it holds the vacuum?

Well, all brake boosters have a check valve in the vacuum line that powers them. If it's still in the truck, you start the truck and let it run for a bit, shut it off, wait 30 minutes or 1 hour, and then wiggle the check valve. If you heard a vacuum sound, then your booster was still holding a vacuum. In this diagram, the 90 degree 'fitting' where hose #4 goes in, is the check valve. If the booster is off the truck, you will have to rig up a way to supply full engine vacuum to the booster and charge it up.

1851_68_1099-land-cruiser-engine.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom