Mark Levinson audio issues - left main channel dead (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
While replacing the foam on all 4 door speakers and the sub, I realized that my driver's side speakers weren't just blown, they didn't seem to be getting any signal at all. I tried swapping sides and the driver's door speaker hooked to the right channel is good (minus the foam), and the left channel wouldn't power the known-good passenger speaker. The rear doors are the same way. The mids and tweeters on the left front channel sound ok; I haven't been able to tell if the rear tweeter works. I'm assuming this is an amp issue; I have a pin-out diagram for a 2004 LC; anyone know whether that would be compatible with a 2001 LX? It looks like the left front and left rear channels are separate circuits coming out of the head unit, so is it a coincidence that both channels are out, or do they share componentry somewhere that could kill both at once?

I do believe the wires heading into the doors to power all of the speakers in each door are just two wires. On the front, I believe the main wires "branch" out to power each speaker. Due to this, you may want to see if there is a break in the wire, or a bad connector, that leads to the front drivers side woofer from the "branch" point in the door.

I do believe the wires heading into the doors to power all of the speakers in each door are just two wires. On the front, I believe the main wires "branch" out to power each speaker. Due to this, you may want to see if there is a break in the wire, or a bad connector, that leads to the front drivers side woofer from the "branch" point in the door.

That's good info, thanks. Looking at the wiring diagram it looks like both LH speakers share connector IV1; unfortunately the full FSM I have is for an LC with nav, so it doesn't have the same info. Can anyone with an '01 non-nav FSM tell me where that connector lives? Thanks!

diagram-jpg.1361783

I was cleaning my truck and noticed my driver's door tweeder stopped working but when I opened the door it started working again. There's definitely a cracked wire as I can wiggle the harness and make the speaker come on and off. Haven't dug into it any more than that but should be simple. Might be the same for yours.

According to the diagram, I suspect B2 is not connectorized and simply a solder/wrap/tape job. If you dig upwards from your woofer, or downwards from your tweeter, you should find it without too many issues.

This is all a hunch BTW based on what I remember seeing for the door (speaker) wiring on my 01 LX ML stereo before I ripped out the speakers and left the OEM wiring (unused).

Fixed! Turns out that it was completely incidental that both driver's side mains were dead. Used an old tweeter I had laying around in the shop to test output on all the connectors leading to both doors; broken +/- (pink/purple) wires somewhere in the front door harness, and broken - (white) in the rear door. Snaked some new speaker wire through and repinned the connectors. Works perfectly now!

Of course I only figured this out after removing the amp, but that was a good opportunity to vacuum the 3 pounds of cheerios left under the passenger seat by the PO's children...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom