March 10th & 11th Ruby Falls (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

canadian bum

SILVER Star
Threads
Going to do a two day trip out to the Ruby falls area. Winter camping is obviously to be expected. Who is interested in heading out this is going to be an amazing trip. Deep snow is to be expected.

Okay since it would be a pain for people coming from Edmonton to meet in Nordegg I have decided it would be better and smoother for us all to all pool into one specific area near the trails.

The location is near a bridge 52 degrees N 52' 42.50" 116 degrees W 33' 29.00"

It's going to be hard to meet at exactly the same time but we should be fairly close. The Jeep crew took 4.5 hours to get out there from Red Deer. So I think those leaving Red Deer should hit the road by 7 am March 10th from Tim Hortons on 67th street nearest to highway 2.

Those of you in Edmonton are fairly spread out so it will be tough to meet in one location. If you all can come up with a location so no one backtracks then that would be great. If not I'm sure you can calculate a time to hit the road and meet with the Convoy from Edmonton.

Those of you coming from Calgary or from other South Western areas can either meet in Red Deer at the location above or Meet in Rocky Mountain House at the Shell station at 8 am.

Those of you wanting to head out a night early and camp let me know and we can see if we can drive by the location of your Camp.

The hardest part of this whole run will be meeting from our different starting points. So it is imperative that we all stick to the times set strictly to allow this to all run smoothly. ETA for the meeting location is 11:30 am. If you arrive earlier than the other group take the time to air down your tires and prep your rig for the trail.

Please let me know if the meeting place could be in a better location and provide GPS coordinates for consideration or if the plan isn't to your liking.

Thanks,

John

Last edited:
Interested....I've been out in the summer, great area!!

I am interested. Will watch for more info but i am probably 95 % in.

Also 95% in on this one!

Yup. love, love, love Ruby, I'm in. Just wonder how deep the snow is?!? I don't have any chains! I can lead an Edmonton crew out if need be.

Rumor has it that 33s and chains can't make it. But we got some big rigs to break trail for the smaller guys. I have chains for my 37s so we should be good. Looks like we got a good crew coming.

I guess 37's really are the new 35's!!

I might try and get some chains...

Sounds fun, but I'm gone to Kicking Horse that weekend.

Paul, if you are leading an Edmonton convoy, count me in. I am pretty sure we are in, Max speed limit 95 kph right? Haaaa!!!

Just so everyone is aware this is an exploration/adventure run. I don't know the trails or are and am just going to go off what I have heard from others. It is advised that you bring extra fuel and personal necessities for at least a day extra just in case. Unlikely we will have issues but I would rather have everyone prepared rather than unprepared. We can always burn extra fuel and eat extra food later. But if we need it and don't have it, well that's a completely different story.

John, I am very familiar with the run into Ruby falls, the only issue will be snow depth. There are lots of "jeep" trails up by Mountain Park as well. I quad this area several times a year, I even have maps showing trails if you are interested.

Just looked at my calendar. I'm out :frown:

That works you can be our expert. Any good hills out there?
No serious climbs going into Ruby, trail basically winds up a valley, a good portion of it is rocky creek bed. Some short rocky climbs going into the lakes if we decide to take a detour. There are definitely hill climbs in the area. Some have suffered from washout and are pretty hairy even on a quad.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom