Mar. 10-11 Butt Buster in the Swell (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

MDarius

I break stuff.
SILVER Star
Threads
Well, now that I have your attention...

I'm looking for a trail buddy to join me on a ruthless run in the San Rafael Swell March 10 and 11. I've volunteered to lead a run in April for the Wasatch Cruiser's club and I want to go check out the routes in advance and make sure everything looks good for April. I'm leaving the SLC area Thursday night to camp and head out early Friday morning. I plan to hit one 4 hour trail, another 3.5 hour trail, and possibly a couple side trails on day 1. Saturday will be similarly ruthless. Trails include Wild Horse Mesa (Goblin Valley to Hwy 24), Town Wash (Hwy 24 loop back to Hanksville or up to Bull Mountain and a campsite), Nottom road to the Burr trail, the Wolverine Loop, Upper Muley Twist, maybe ChokeCherry Point, Tantalus Flats, and the scenic drive out of Capitol Reef NP. I'm planning to have my two teenagers with me. They can use a day off school.

If it's just one other person I'd prefer a buddy with a winch and minimum 33" tires and lift. Being cool is a must. I'll check your references.

Alright, as I get closer to the date I might even accept jerks with a winch. ;) Thanks!

Here are some pics of the area from previous trips.
https://goo.gl/photos/KKjZZpi3ZBQB8jra9

Sounds like fun.

I've got a friend with a stock 100 coming Friday, so having another vehicle in case we need to park his somewhere would be ideal. I have another friend with a Rubicon and a winch joining me for Saturday. Would love to have you.

Friday will be The Goblin Valley route, Saturday will be the Capitol Reef route.

Sounds good my 80 is in good shape and has lockers & 33's. I even have a teenager.

Perfect! Be careful though, the teenager mod can end up breaking things if it's not properly calibrated.

We'll start Friday morning from a primitive camp site near Goblin Valley on the way out to Little Wildhorse canyon. We'll start Saturday morning from the Cedar Mesa Campground on the Nottom Bullfrog road West of Capitol Reef. If you can make it both days you would be welcome! But just one day or the other is good too.

We will plan for both days. Thanks for the invite.

Update:
I have @Jason hansen confirmed for both days, a friend from the Wasatch Cruisers forum confirmed for Friday (Stock 100 series), a local friend with a Jeep Rubicon confirmed for Saturday (We need someone to practice recovery techniques on), and another friend with an undetermined vehicle unconfirmed for Saturday. I'd like to keep it fairly small so we can be agile, so if there is more interest we can handle 2-3 more vehicles if people are still interested, but we are covered from a safety standpoint. Thanks!

@MDarius This sounds like a blast but I'm a days drive west of you. :hmm: It looks like you will be covering many miles of trails based on what you posted. What you are doing is a two day thing? Do you have all the trail buddies you were looking for?

2 days, but you can come for just one. We have what we need to be safe, but there's always room for a couple more. If you can only make it for one day or the other I can tell you where and when to meet us.

If I came it would be for at least 2 days. I'm up to my eye balls in getting rid of a rolled rig right now and then doing the low range gear and part time on the rig I would bring so I don't know I could even be ready. Definitely some wishful thinking here though. Your plan sounds just like what the doctor ordered... :)

Put it together and come out and we'll hit some trails that will make your drive worthwhile. This weekend is a good ROI for a 4 or 5 hour drive, maybe even 8 if you don't get down there much. From Northern California, I would want more. More scenery, more slot canyons, more arches, and more challenging roads.

Put it together and come out and we'll hit some trails that will make your drive worthwhile. This weekend is a good ROI for a 4 or 5 hour drive, maybe even 8 if you don't get down there much. From Northern California, I would want more. More scenery, more slot canyons, more arches, and more challenging roads.
Yes, I will be working on my rig every spare minute and filing the correct "forms" with my minister of finance.

Right now we are planning to meet at the gas station in Green River, UT at 7:00 pm. Should we miss someone there we'll be camping off a side road of the Wild Horse Mesa road. That side road takes off to the South at 38.5763, -110.73923. We'll leave a Toyota at the offshoot that leads to our selected campsite, since we can't tell in advance what will be available. One of these two vehicles:
20160401_144336.jpg

Bring a good flashlight, a towel, and water shoes. Maybe we'll get in a night time hike of one of the slot canyons out there.

We will see you at one of the 2 gas stations in green river at the west exit. Do you recommend bringing aux gas.

Yes. I'm bringing 10 gallons for me. You probably only need 5.

Last edited:
It was fun exploring with you guys. Nice to not have to go it alone and to be able to check out a lot of backcountry.

Jason, it was great to meet you and your wife and it was a good time. Next time it won't be so intense. I'd liked to see the end of Poison Springs road.

Sounds like a Maze trip.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom