many ?'s about how to and what to do? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So i have a 79 fj40. the guy that i bought it from had a 350 put in and was running 33's.It was doing really good with the tires just trying to add to it.. :cool:

now i have it and want to try and redo it. with that i am add'n on to the engine not making it a race truck or anything but trying to get better mpg, power and so on. but dont know what to do with the stock drive train? should i get new or stay same if i dont really beef it up?:confused:

so on to the frame, i was thinking of sand blasting it and then painting. Then i here guys say por-15 is the way but i have read and heard that you really want rust so the por-15 will adhere. So if i sand it no RUST? what would be the best or more logical thing to do?:confused:
any recommendations are welcome.
thanks

tyler

you've picked the wrong vehicle to try to get better MPG - you could spend thousands of dollars probably and only end up with 1 MPG extra. Your questions aren't very specific at all. I'd hit up the FAQS on this forum and just start reading until you have a good knowledge of what your dealing with and come ask questions again....

tyler black said:
So have you ever used POR-15 on bare metal ? ?

Treat according to their instructions - thorough cleaning with their Marine Clean, followed by Metal Ready (acid-based etch) and POR-15 works on bare metal. Don't foget edges.

Pete

Sandblast and POR-15 works great. Sticks like glue and looks slick too...

But like others say.. use the search feature to get your questions answered.. it really does work!

dgangle said:
How old are you, 10?
From a direct email to me:

"So you want to know how old i'm?

i'm 28 years old. i have been in the navy for ten years and
have been to afgan once and iraq twice. had my best friend
marcus luttrell go kia and mia in afgan in late june 2005.
came back from iraq and went to texas for and emergency
c-section for my wife and then two months later had my
grandfather die and not mention ten other seals died in afgan with
marcus.

one month after my grandfather died the navy moved me up
here to alaska. i am currently trying to find something to
keep me busy and forget the past deployment and the deaths of
loved ones and friends.

the same friends that were fighting for your freedom
safety!!! you motherfxxxer.

i joined this site to hopefully get some help,seeing that
this is my first time to ever rebuild a car. so i really
dont need you to be a fxxx off and give me a hard time you
pussy!!!

feel free to come up here to kodiak alaska and ask me how
old i am?????

How is birmingham you inbred backwoods fagget?????

feel free to e-mail me back or come on up i work at the
only navy base on the island of kodiak? do you even know what
an island is????

but on a serious note thanks for the input buddy."

You need to find someother avenue to release your aggression there buddy. I thought I was hostile. Don't drop the soap.

Last edited:
Tyler, I'm kind of doing the same thing but my cruiser was so rough I never even got it running. I'm in the north east and I'm going to sand blast to get rid of the rust. I am considering using Rust Bullet as that can be used over bare sandblasted metal then use some sort of top coat. Good luck with you cruiser, start a build thread and post some pictures.

So....are you two close friends?

Hey newbie,
You aren't going to get spoon-fed advice here. You gotta get your hands dirty and figure some stuff out on your own. You don't go asking for advice/help then bash people and call them "inbred backwoods fagget?????" What the fxxx do you think you are going to do? Scare people in to helping you. You gotta chill out, do some research in the FAQ and tech sections, then ask legitimate questions.

Wow, this thread went south quick.
:ban:

Volunteer said:
Wow, this thread went south quick.
:ban:

Kinda like the thread on the Clutch safety ignition switch. It is reading threads like these that make me laugh while doing my 9-5 in a cubicle. Can't we all just get along?:D

Colorado Boy-74-FJ40 said:
Hey newbie,
You don't go asking for advice/help then bash people and call them "inbred backwoods fagget?????" What the fxxx do you think you are going to do? Scare people in to helping you.

Thanks for the second. I thought I may have crossed the line there. For the record I am not from AL, I live in a major metropolitan city of +1MM people and have two degrees in engineering from a big 10 school in the Midwest where I was born, raised and educated. My job brought me here and I have found to like it. While I might like to drink beer and 4-wheel, I am by no means a backwoods whatever stereotype.

Last edited:
Please play nice.

BTW, I see nothing wrong with being a backwoods inbread. You should see my grill. My grill would even make a shark jealous. Looks like Katrina hit it with all the yellow stains and such. The dentist won't even touch it.

this seems like a good way to get more people involved in fj40s

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom