Manually raise window with dead motor? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The motor in my driver's front window died while the window was completely down. Is there a way to manually raise the window?

Are you sure it's the motor? Odds are it is the wire harness in the driver door, wiggle the harness while holding the switch up.
Otherwise remove the door panel, life window and use a block of wood to hold it up.

Try this: unplug the motor, then use alligator clips to a drill battery or similar. 14V, 18V—shouldn't matter for such a short duration.

But...keep all appendages inside the ride. +50% voltage will speed it up some, and it will HURT if you leave a finger in the way. Not that I would know.

Are you sure it's the motor? Odds are it is the wire harness in the driver door, wiggle the harness while holding the switch up.
Otherwise remove the door panel, life window and use a block of wood to hold it up.

Pull apart the door, harness is fine. Can't lift the window at all, should I be able to? Also worth noting, the motor feels warm, almost hot, to the touch.

Yes, you should be able to lift the window, you will be turning the motor too though so it's going to be hard.

Pull apart the door, harness is fine. Can't lift the window at all, should I be able to? Also worth noting, the motor feels warm, almost hot, to the touch.

Wiggle the wiring 'bundle' that goes into the front door (a little above the bottom hinge). Hold your window button down and move that bundle back and forth, see if you get intermittent window activation.

While it is theoretically possible to lift the window with the motor and regulator still attached...you'd have to be one bad dude to overcome the mechanical advantage built into it.

You can disconnect the harness as @saucebox suggested and apply voltage directly to the motor and see if that runs the motor or not. If the motor runs but it is not lifting the window switch the polarity (the wires you used to jump it) and it will reverse the direction of the motor.

Check also while you are in there that nothing has become dislodged and jammed the window regulator.

DC motors on toyota's don't die easily. Never seen one in my life. Probably a broken wire or carbon built up inside the master door window switch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom