Manually move 99 LX steering wheel? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Folks,

I have a 99 LX that has some small issues I am trying to work through. One of which is an inoperable steering column. It doesn't telescope or move up or down. I have read some posts on replacing the motor, but it seems to require more money than I want to spend. In addition, while I can certainly tinker around these cars, I am not at the level most of the people on here are when it comes to pulling stuff apart. I am guessing there isn't a dedicated fuse for the steering column, and that my motor is just bad. I do not hear any noise when I attempt to move it. With that being said, unless there is something I am missing, my goal is to see if I can manually move it down. It is at its highest point which is a little cumbersome to drive it. Telescopically it is fine where it sits. So, I guess my questions is twofold: Is there a dedicated fuse for steering column? And is there a way to manually lower the steering wheel? Thanks!

Jonathan

I’ve got a manual column from a 99 LC. Wonder if they can be swapped out?

Folks,

I have a 99 LX that has some small issues I am trying to work through. One of which is an inoperable steering column. It doesn't telescope or move up or down. I have read some posts on replacing the motor, but it seems to require more money than I want to spend. In addition, while I can certainly tinker around these cars, I am not at the level most of the people on here are when it comes to pulling stuff apart. I am guessing there isn't a dedicated fuse for the steering column, and that my motor is just bad. I do not hear any noise when I attempt to move it. With that being said, unless there is something I am missing, my goal is to see if I can manually move it down. It is at its highest point which is a little cumbersome to drive it. Telescopically it is fine where it sits. So, I guess my questions is twofold: Is there a dedicated fuse for steering column? And is there a way to manually lower the steering wheel? Thanks!

Jonathan

If I’m not mistaken, in one of the tilt/telescope motor replacement threads, there was someone that just “adjusted” the tilt or telescope manually while they were waiting on a replacement motor.

Maybe this thread:

I’ve got a manual column from a 99 LC. Wonder if they can be swapped out?

If I’m not mistaken, the ignition (key)/steering lock mechanism is different between the two.

Last edited:
TT1.jpg
TT2.jpg

I did this, you can manually pull the wheel out. Follow the thread above. For the tilt feature you will need to pull the tilt motor and physically turn it while still attached to the assembly.

If you remove the covers behind the steering wheel (two screws if I recall correctly), then remove the two allen bolts that hold the column to the tilt motor, you can manually wind in the adjuster on the tilt motor. Then you reinstall the two bolts (try not to loose the brown washers/bushings), and voila, your steering wheel is lowered.

You guys are awesome, thank you so much. I will give this a shot!

You guys are awesome, thank you so much. I will give this a shot!
Just make sure to torque the two bolts according to specs. You don’t want them to fall out:)

Give the motors a tap while you press the switch. My telescoping motor stopped working but I was able to get it to move with some love taps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom