Replacing rear manual window non-flared (OEM) doors and sourcing parts (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
But I managed to get a pair. They are to replace the existing rear doors of the 80 which are both damaged and have aftermarket flares that are making them rust.

I like manual windows in my 80 - there is no wiring of any sort into the rear doors (or the front ones) so nice clean pillars where the doors mount.

But I managed to get a pair. They are to replace the existing rear doors of the 80 which are both damaged and have aftermarket flares that are making them rust.

I like manual windows in my 80 - there is no wiring of any sort into the rear doors (or the front ones) so nice clean pillars where the doors mount.
Pics installed?

I also prefer the manual windows on my 80. I found a lack of central locking drove me a bit nuts for a DD though, so I ended up adding in the wiring and electronic actuators to get central locking from the higher models. Even found the electronic lock for the rear barn door. That one is a win for me. I'd always take the manual windows over the power windows though.

Oh, if you've got a base model too, best cheap upgrade IMO - get the headlight retainer relay. Custom for the Aus market, makes sure if you leave the headlights on, they turn off automatically when you close the driver's door, but you can still turn them back on when the vehicle is off and they'll stay on. Stops you draining your battery by leaving them on in daylight accidentally wheb you park. The relay plugs right in, just got to take off the dummy loop back plug that's in its place.

My 80 has always been base model but it was a Telstra vehicle before I got it so it has flares (tjm not factory), and a few other odd things. The back doors have been beaten up by me when off-roading in the past and I'm 'deleting' flares so starting on sorting out the doors. I'll be using Aussie made interior door trims as the factory original ones are ugly. My 80's door's are manual window but all have GX/GXL inside trims so the door handles will be getting saved and transferred across. No speakers in the doors, so no need to have wiring into them.

There's no central locking either.

I wonder if mine is an ex-Telstra vehicle too? It was something in a previous life. It has a cap on the roof where it looks like a roof warning light was previously fitted, and it appears to have had a cargo barrier installed which was later removed. It also has aftermarket flares, but I'm not sure on the manufacturer. It's not an ex-mining vehicle though, it hasn't seen enough abuse to be that. Not sure how to trace its origins though.

I wonder if mine is an ex-Telstra vehicle too? It was something in a previous life. It has a cap on the roof where it looks like a roof warning light was previously fitted, and it appears to have had a cargo barrier installed which was later removed. It also has aftermarket flares, but I'm not sure on the manufacturer. It's not an ex-mining vehicle though, it hasn't seen enough abuse to be that. Not sure how to trace its origins though.
Can you look up the title history?

Can you look up the title history?
Privacy laws limit a lot of information here. This is what they give me:

Registered operator history
  • The vehicle is registered in one name.
  • There have been 15 registered operators since the vehicle was first registered in NSW.
Usage records
This vehicle has been registered with the following usage types in NSW
PERIOD OF USEUSAGE TYPE
13-Sep-1996 to 31-Jan-1999Business
01-Feb-1999 to 25-Feb-1999Held for resale by motor dealer
26-Feb-1999 to 02-Jun-2013Private
03-Jun-2013 to 16-Aug-2013Held for resale by motor dealer
17-Aug-2013 to 17-Aug-2013Private
17-Aug-2013 to 17-Dec-2013Held for resale by motor dealer
18-Dec-2013 to PresentPrivate

I think the guy I bought it off might have been a member or lurker on mud, but not sure. Think he mentioned the forums as a good resource when I bought the rig off him in 2017.

Privacy laws limit a lot of information here. This is what they give me:

Registered operator history
  • The vehicle is registered in one name.
  • There have been 15 registered operators since the vehicle was first registered in NSW.
Usage records
This vehicle has been registered with the following usage types in NSW
PERIOD OF USEUSAGE TYPE
13-Sep-1996 to 31-Jan-1999Business
01-Feb-1999 to 25-Feb-1999Held for resale by motor dealer
26-Feb-1999 to 02-Jun-2013Private
03-Jun-2013 to 16-Aug-2013Held for resale by motor dealer
17-Aug-2013 to 17-Aug-2013Private
17-Aug-2013 to 17-Dec-2013Held for resale by motor dealer
18-Dec-2013 to PresentPrivate

I think the guy I bought it off might have been a member or lurker on mud, but not sure. Think he mentioned the forums as a good resource when I bought the rig off him in 2017.
Geez, not terribly helpful. No way to quiz the PO now, trace smog or inspection certificates (if any), that kind of thing? Or use the VIN to look for service or accident or insurance records? Just tossing things out there. I'm not familiar with what can (and can't) be done in Australia...

Last edited:
Geez, not terribly helpful. No way to quiz the PO now, trace smog or inspection certificates (if any), that kind of thing? Or use the VIN to look for service or accident or insurance records? Just tossing things out there. I'm not familiar with what can (and can't) be done in Canada...
Australia here. No smog checks, or smog gear fitted on these models. There's really nothing to look up. Privacy laws don't allow disclosing information on current or previous owners here. I believe in the US you can lookup all kinds of info about the owner from a plate. Not so here in Australia. All you can really do is confirm if it's registered and insured, but not who by. If you want info beyond that, IE, because it was involved in an accident and the driver didn't give info, you have to go to the police and let them handle it.

Australia here. No smog checks, or smog gear fitted on these models. There's really nothing to look up. Privacy laws don't allow disclosing information on current or previous owners here. I believe in the US you can lookup all kinds of info about the owner from a plate. Not so here in Australia. All you can really do is confirm if it's registered and insured, but not who by. If you want info beyond that, IE, because it was involved in an accident and the driver didn't give info, you have to go to the police and let them handle it.
Damn. Well if you REALLY want to know, dig some caked-on dirt/oil/grease out of the remote parts of the undercarriage and have it analyzed. If it shows a whole lot of something that's only found at mining sites, there's your answer... On another note--what are the good AUS Cruiser forums?

Damn. Well if you REALLY want to know, dig some caked-on dirt/oil/grease out of the remote parts of the undercarriage and have it analyzed. If it shows a whole lot of something that's only found at mining sites, there's your answer... On another note--what are the good AUS Cruiser forums?
I'm only active on MUD, but in terms of active forums with a big Australian membership, Forum list - https://www.landcruiserclub.net and Welcome to Land Cruiser Owners On Line (LCOOL) - http://www.lcool.org seem the most promenant, and Toyota Prado Forums - Toyota Prado How To's, Technical Information & Reviews - https://www.pradopoint.com.au for the Landcruiser Prado models.

Also used to be one called offroad80s specifically for 80 series but I dunno what happened to it. Lcool forums are good but not much activity.

Oh, if you've got a base model too, best cheap upgrade IMO - get the headlight retainer relay. Custom for the Aus market, makes sure if you leave the headlights on, they turn off automatically when you close the driver's door, but you can still turn them back on when the vehicle is off and they'll stay on. Stops you draining your battery by leaving them on in daylight accidentally wheb you park. The relay plugs right in, just got to take off the dummy loop back plug that's in its place.

Got any more information, or pics on this?

Mine kills the headlights when I open the door. Same deal; can turn them on manually with the door open. Thought that was standard.

Got any more information, or pics on this?
Part number 85961-30050, headlamp retainer relay. It's this little green box:
1659051462072.png

Plugs into a connector on the driver's side kick panel (RHD model). The US spec models had a different relay fitted with different behaviour, this one I believe, 85965-60010:

1659052093506.png

In Australia, base models (catalog says ones with barn doors) didn't include the relay at all, just a loopback connector which kept the headlights permanently on if you leave them on at the stalk, which is great for giving you a flat battery if you turn on your headlights in the dark, and forget they're still on when it gets light and you park your vehicle.

What's interesting is that this part isn't listed correctly in the official part catalog. If you check it, it'll list the light reminder relay, 85960-60010, which doesn't seem to actually exist. I've seen the green box 85961-30050 on all wrecked aussie cruisers I've come across which are above the base model. Easy drop-in for the base model though, just unplug the loopback connector and plug in the relay, no more dead batteries!

I've got caught with the lights staying on a few times. My 80 is a 3/92 and I never worked out where a headlight retainer relay would plug in. Any pics?

One reason I haven't ever fitted speakers in the doors or retrofitted power windows or mirrors is the a and b pillars do not have any holes for wiring to come out, so as there's already more than enough bad rust occuring in the body I don't want to make more. ;)

Manual windows are just fine. Just like manual AC (winding down the windows) in summer.

BTW FYI the pair of spare manual window no-flare doors cost A$200 each. Such is the price of used 4wd parts here

Part number 85961-30050, headlamp retainer relay. It's this little green box:
View attachment 3071833
Plugs into a connector on the driver's side kick panel (RHD model). The US spec models had a different relay fitted with different behaviour, this one I believe, 85965-60010:

View attachment 3071851

In Australia, base models (catalog says ones with barn doors) didn't include the relay at all, just a loopback connector which kept the headlights permanently on if you leave them on at the stalk, which is great for giving you a flat battery if you turn on your headlights in the dark, and forget they're still on when it gets light and you park your vehicle.

What's interesting is that this part isn't listed correctly in the official part catalog. If you check it, it'll list the light reminder relay, 85960-60010, which doesn't seem to actually exist. I've seen the green box 85961-30050 on all wrecked aussie cruisers I've come across which are above the base model. Easy drop-in for the base model though, just unplug the loopback connector and plug in the relay, no more dead batteries!

Hmmmm. I don't think my headlights automatically turn off. Gonna have to go and check that now. Can't remember to save my life.

Today I swapped off the second of the original rear doors to fit the drivers (right) side one. It's a nice silver door not a white one, but colour isn't important. Like the left rear one I already fitted, the weatherstrips and window run rubber need replacing. Internally they're both clean and have hardly any paint damage.

With the weatherstrips I'm going to use GXL exterior ones and base model interior ones (since I'm fitting replacement trims. I'm getting some rivnuts/nutserts to try out since the plastic clips are horrible pieces-o-junk in my view.

The right rear door I fitted had an aftermarket central locking solenoid installed - that went straight to the bin!

Righto since the silvery door isn't original I don't know what it's paint code it. Just needs really small bits of touch up, and I don't feel right killing the paint to re-paint the door white yet. ;) It appears to also have clear coat (which no white painted 80's ever received) so it's a lot smoother in finish.

Referring to this:

doesn't really help. According to the paperwork from the wrecker, both it and the white door I got for the left side come off 1995 base model 80's.

I dug deeper into some other resources and it seems '181' is the correct code for 'toyota silver blue'.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom