1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Manual transmission Taco

Discussion in '05+ Tacoma, T100, Highlander' started by Weedhopper, Apr 11, 2018.

1. Weedhopper

Weedhopper SILVER Star

I am looking at a 2017 Off Road Taco on Carmax. Six speed, only 6K miles. I am thinking someone bought it and did not like the manual transmission. Nice truck, but it’s 2400 miles away so I can’t test drive it.

Anyone have experience with the manual ?

2. FLATU8ER

FLATU8ER

I have an 07' with a six speed, and love it.

3. Weedhopper

Weedhopper SILVER Star

I found one local, will run over and drive it.

4. Prairie Swamp

Prairie Swamp

Media:
    Albums:
    Same powertrain as my FJ Cruiser. Love it. Redline MTL vastly improved the shift quality.

As far as the motor - on paper it looks about equal to the motor in a Wrangler. But I've driven both and it is way more motor than the Jeep - not that you were considering one just sayin'.

5. Weedhopper

Weedhopper SILVER Star

I think it’s gonna be a manual. I have read too many automatic transmission stories lately concerning the Taco to scare me away. I like the manual anyway. Pretty bulletproof if it’s taken care of.

6. usgrant

usgrant

I have a '17 AC Sport with MT and certainly enjoy it. Popping into first at stop lights is occasionally a little clunky/sticky (feel like the plant didn't fill the transmission fluid up all the way, only 1.5k miles on it so maybe just breaking it in still!) but it's solid. We aren't going to win any races off the line but I've always felt comfortable merging, responsive for sure. The gearing overlap of 4th/5th took a minute to get used to (meaning I've found myself going 50mph+ without noticing the need to upshi all in all, I love the MT.

Is it an import- didn't know OR w/MT was an option!

7. FLATU8ER

FLATU8ER

It is an option, but as mine is 10 yrs old, I can only hope that it stays an option.

8. Weedhopper

Weedhopper SILVER Star

Still an option on Sport and Off Road trucks. Saves a couple grand $ too.

Reading the forums there were a lot of complaints concerning the auto. Lots of people selling. I was wondering why there were so many Taco’s for sale on Carmax in the 6-10ak mile range.

I’ll go to the dealer and see if I can order exactly what I want. Some color choices are “ out of stock “