Manual transmission Taco (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Weedhopper

Rust Patrol
SILVER Star
Threads
I am looking at a 2017 Off Road Taco on Carmax. Six speed, only 6K miles. I am thinking someone bought it and did not like the manual transmission. Nice truck, but it’s 2400 miles away so I can’t test drive it.

Anyone have experience with the manual ?

I found one local, will run over and drive it.

Same powertrain as my FJ Cruiser. Love it. Redline MTL vastly improved the shift quality.

As far as the motor - on paper it looks about equal to the motor in a Wrangler. But I've driven both and it is way more motor than the Jeep - not that you were considering one just sayin'.

I think it’s gonna be a manual. I have read too many automatic transmission stories lately concerning the Taco to scare me away. I like the manual anyway. Pretty bulletproof if it’s taken care of.

I have a '17 AC Sport with MT and certainly enjoy it. Popping into first at stop lights is occasionally a little clunky/sticky (feel like the plant didn't fill the transmission fluid up all the way, only 1.5k miles on it so maybe just breaking it in still!) but it's solid. We aren't going to win any races off the line but I've always felt comfortable merging, responsive for sure. The gearing overlap of 4th/5th took a minute to get used to (meaning I've found myself going 50mph+ without noticing the need to upshi all in all, I love the MT.

Is it an import- didn't know OR w/MT was an option!

Still an option on Sport and Off Road trucks. Saves a couple grand $ too.

Reading the forums there were a lot of complaints concerning the auto. Lots of people selling. I was wondering why there were so many Taco’s for sale on Carmax in the 6-10ak mile range.

I’ll go to the dealer and see if I can order exactly what I want. Some color choices are “ out of stock “

Love my 6MT!

@usgrant Mine is also notchy/clunky, but I'd rather it be this way with low miles than be buttery smooth out the gate and all worn out in no time. I plan to switch to Redline MT90 which makes the 6-speed Lotus transaxle I have in my Supercharged MR2 shift amazingly smooth.

Averaging just over 17 MPG on 40s :)

fb-003.jpg

Plus having a manual makes it easier to do fun things like this:

2017 6MT Tacoma Sport. Same transmission as the OR. Very happy with it. The 1st and 2nd gear ratios are an odd match to get you the torque you need at low rpms and take some getting used to while shifting. But the overall tranny has been great for my needs ~12,000 miles so far.
I have run heavily loaded with mulch in 2wd and 4HI no problem. Towed and launched my boat (16ft Sylvan) without issue from Pittsburgh to Erie many times, literally well over a thousand miles with how many times i have done it boat and trailer is under 2500 lbs, though the bed is usually full of stuff ~500 lbs. Now towing my uncle's larger boat (crestliner 2160) is more of an issue, it is around 5000 lbs (according to him, I do not think it is that heavy) with the motors and trailer and all his gear in it. The tacoma still pulls it better than my old ridgeline and old pilot did. Just have to think ahead for braking, his trailer and mine both do not have brakes. Now his Ecoboost F150 does tow his boat better, obviously.
Also as expected gas mileage does suffer while towing, but I mean you are towing a boat...it suffers whether its my Tacoma or his F150, each has its strengths.

Some have complained about the gear ratio in reverse, especially when towing. I have not had any issues, just have to remember to go easy.

Last edited:
Well I can chime in with my 2 cents, I have a manual 16 DCSB offroad and I've put 160k miles on it and I still love this truck very much. Its a great truck, no complaints. Definitely be patient and get the color and options you want, I did and it took 7 months. Just CHECK for the timing chain cover leak if your buying a 16 or 17 and maybe some 18s. It leaks behind the powersteering pump and its a pull out the engine kind of job to reseal it. Good luck!

160k! nice!

glad to know 3rd gen is running strong with that many miles 👍

Well I can chime in with my 2 cents, I have a manual 16 DCSB offroad and I've put 160k miles on it and I still love this truck very much. Its a great truck, no complaints. Definitely be patient and get the color and options you want, I did and it took 7 months. Just CHECK for the timing chain cover leak if your buying a 16 or 17 and maybe some 18s. It leaks behind the powersteering pump and its a pull out the engine kind of job to reseal it. Good luck!

The AT in those things is hot garbage. Constant gear searching paired with an already underpowered engine is a bad combo.

I had an 18 AT Pro and had to trade it in for a manual sport - vast improvement.

On a side note - if anybody is interested in that Taco (just traded in on fri for a LC200) -

I read all the horror stories about the 3rd gen ATs. I bought a 20 TRD OR and I have no issue with the AT. I does like to shift to 3rd early and will sometimes have to shift back down to 2nd but doesn’t bother me at all. I just hit 4K miles and have been very happy with the AT was kinda scared going in with everything I had read online.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom