manual transmission in 1991 fj80 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Roastchestnuts

TLCA #28675 Salt wagon Fj40
Threads
At the risk of sounding stupid I was wondering the viability of using a 2f bell housing and h55f 5 speed and the other components (clutch components, pedal bucket, drive shafts transfer case. etc) Could I keep the full time 4x4? Has anybody done this before and if so what are the things to look for. I feel like I would get soo much more out of my 80 if it had a manual. I have seen a thread on here where somebody put a 4speed in an 80. I know it will be costly but Is a 5 speed a viable swap?

I believe it's been done before, but run with the 60-series split case (i.e. part time 4x4). If an H42 is a viable swap then so is the H55. Dig around MUD search, I'm pretty sure I've seen this before.

Yup. A couple good threads in h42 installs on 3fe trucks. LandSpeeder and bhmmapping come to mind. Pretty sure @Bossman has an h55 in his rig now but it’s a 94. And one other I’m looking for now that was on a 97. May need to search outside your application to answer all the questions. Some good discussion from “h55” search in titles only

looks like most popular answer in keeping the awd case is no but some speculation of mixing parts may work.

While not directly h55 related lots of good info and further links in these threads.

The 3FE equipped trucks came with the H150 transmission mated to an HF2A transfer case which is a full time case. Why not go that route? It is the proper Factory set up for an 80. There are fitment issues with the H4/55 transmissions and shifter location in 80 series trucks.

The 3FE equipped trucks came with the H150 transmission mated to an HF2A transfer case which is a full time case. Why not go that route? It is the proper Factory set up for an 80. There are fitment issues with the H4/55 transmissions and shifter location in 80 series trucks.

I would like to go that way but from looking around it seems that he h150 is a more expensive transmission and not as easy to find in the states. Like you said that does seem to be the better rought in terms of fitmit. I could be wrong on this however. any ideas for sources for these transmissions?

Yup. A couple good threads in h42 installs on 3fe trucks. LandSpeeder and bhmmapping come to mind. Pretty sure @Bossman has an h55 in his rig now but it’s a 94. And one other I’m looking for now that was on a 97. May need to search outside your application to answer all the questions. Some good discussion from “h55” search in titles only

looks like most popular answer in keeping the awd case is no but some speculation of mixing parts may work.

While not directly h55 related lots of good info and further links in these threads.

Thanks I am going to do some reading it looks like! I like the idea of the h55 it seems like the only issues I would run into is trans crossmember and placement of the shifter in the cab.

And bolt up capability for the AWD case.

the crossmember should be of little concern in approaching a project of this scope.
@GLTHFJ60 did a H151 swap for @k4azy up the road from you in Durham.

May want to read through this one as well though not a lot of tech details still shows some things that need addressing.

Try Gumtree Australia. There are people selling those transmissions quite often. Most seem open to crating and shipping to the states. It’s my opinion to use the Factory correct application especially when they’re available. To each their own though. Good luck with your build.

Try Gumtree Australia. There are people selling those transmissions quite often. Most seem open to crating and shipping to the states. It’s my opinion to use the Factory correct application especially when they’re available. To each their own though. Good luck with your build.

thank you Ill check them out

This is the route I took. Scoured Gumtree for quite a while (once a day for a couple months) until I found a guy with all of the parts I needed who was willing to palletize them for shipping. I had to do the shipping logistics work which was a bit of a headache and a lot of emails exchanged. Took a couple months once the ball was rolling for the trans to arrive. Was not cheap but I'm hoping the result will be worth it. Plus having a manual 3FE cruiser will be kind of unique as the 3F in fuel injected guise was never offered from factory with a 5 speed in the 80.

It was either this or re-gear to 4.88 for me. Switching from 4.10s and automatic to 4.10s and H150F will be the equivalent gearing change (in top gear) as going to 5.07s with the auto.

Shoot me a pm @Roastchestnuts if you want the nitty gritty.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom