manual trans swap for a 62 (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
whilst reading one of the replies to cruiserdrew's thread where roscoFJ73 mentioned gear ratios i got to thinking to myself

"self, you'd probably sell your left leg to finance an h55f swap into your 1989 fj62, but even such a fine leg isn't worth the 2.5-3kk it'll probably run you when all is said and done, not to mention ebay banned such auctions before you even though of it and your friends in the organ selling underground are all in jail. if you could delete the brand $panking new trans from the build list it's much more feasible, and since you already have 4.11 diffs maybe the ultra low 1st gear isn't a big deal"

so i ask all y'all this: the h55f is the holy grail, but would the H42 be better than the auto i have now till i can afford the 55?

i know the a440 is a tough trans, i just don't like auto transmissions, especially for driving in the hills which is what i bought the crusier for.

i'll still need to find the right cross member, and adjust driveshaft lengths, and find the clutch mount plate from an fj60 but most of that gets transferred to the h55 down the road right (not shafts)?

thanks

-brayn

Make sure you get a 1986 or 1987 donor 4 speed and associated parts. It has the spacer where 5th would be on a H55F and the drive shafts are right.

Search for posts by me about my conversion. If you do not turn up anything, or want more PM me and after the 4th I will send you writeups pics and parts speadsheets etc.

Go for it!

Dunbar

I say dont bother unless you can put in an H55 or such 5 speed. You should be able to do that. It just opens up to many more possibilities gearing wise for you in the future.

I might be interested in trading my H42 for your auto :)

I am getting an 86.

evnetually i want the 5 speed, i just don't have the extra $15-1800 laying around

mace, interesting. where are you? how many miles. mine has 192.xxx on it. as far as i can tell it's healthy. i think we could be parts trucks for each other and end up with 2 running oddballs

Las Vegas

Kinda a strech, But I get to Reno fairly often.

That is exactly what I was thinkin.

Right now mine does not run (well, it IS in wisconsin) but a easy switch of master cylinder/pedals and shift stuff would not be to hard...

The split cases are identical right?

Mace said:
Las Vegas

Kinda a strech, But I get to Reno fairly often.

That is exactly what I was thinkin.

Right now mine does not run (well, it IS in wisconsin) but a easy switch of master cylinder/pedals and shift stuff would not be to hard...

The split cases are identical right?

hummmmm

do you have an air conditioned garage in vegas? :D

i don't know about the cases, all i've been able to tell is that m t-case doesn't need to be swapped for anything to put in an h55f, so i presume the h42 is the same story.

so, first job for you is get your fj60 in the righ half of the country :cool:

That happens on the 24th of July.

And I am sure that I can find some where to work ;)

The reason mine does not run is the carb was pulled off to go TBI..
BTW..

Mace said:
That happens on the 24th of July.

And I am sure that I can find some where to work ;)

The reason mine does not run is the carb was pulled off to go TBI..
BTW..

very
very

interesting

i have to bump my own post here

i'm collecting parts and i want to be sure: true of false

i do NOT need a new bell housing.

thanks

baldredhead,
You need a new bellhousing to mate the H55F to the 3FE. The one you need comes in an 86-87 FJ-60. It has a 3F stamped on it. You could also use the FJ-60 drive shafts because they are the correct length. I was on that path but instead I am dropping my 3FE into my FJ-60. Good luck.

baldredhead said:
i have to bump my own post here

i'm collecting parts and i want to be sure: true of false

i do NOT need a new bell housing.

thanks

You will need a new bellhousing.

And contrary to what Dunbar said FJ60's from '85 (maybe even mid-84) will have the spacer between the tranny and t-case.

thanks andrew and jim

i discovered the spacer incongruity myself via ebay of all places. the bellhousing was mystifying me though. driveshafts are already on the list :D

BTW, the tranny I have is not the 5 speed length. It is the older, shorter one :(

But it is at home now ;)

mace

i have a trans on the way already.... i know me and there is only the slimmest chance i'd actually follow through on the vegas swap weekend. my luck i'd end up having my truck marooned down there waiting for some little part if forgot.

however, once i get this done i'll be happy to sell you the take offs and send it your way.

how much?

we'll see what the total damage is when i'm done. i need to get all the parts.... install them. it'll be a couple months still, sorry.

i'm not going to gouge don't sweat that i'll just be looking to recoup some costs.

Don't know if it really matters or not, but if you're planning on sticking an H55F in at some point you may want to track down one of the 3F bellhousings. These came in the later ('85 and up) FJ60's. Earlier bellhousings, I think, will work with an H55F but may require a slight mod.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom