Manual trans swap compatability, flat tow question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a '99 Tacoma with a build date of 4/98. Would a '97 Tacoma be a good donor for a manual transmission swap, or were there differences that would cause headaches?

Would I swap over the entire wiring harness? My 2.7 is now running (and seems healthy), but the donor has half the miles and I might swap it as well.

The potential donor is a couple hundred miles away. Is it safe and/or legal to flat tow a vehicle if I remove the driveshafts?

Guess I have asked too many questions, or at least not good ones.

Worked a deal with the guy to deliver the ‘97 this weekend, assuming it will work

Last edited:
Guess I have asked too many questions, or at least not good ones.

Worked a deal with the guy to deliver the ‘97 this weekend, assuming it will work

I can't honestly answer your questions and most of the guys that are active on MUD seem to be Cruiser guys, not many Taco guys...

I would suggest asking on here if you need help with your swap: 1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)

TW has a very active and knowledgeable 1gen crowd.

In my experience most of the folks on MUD and TW seen to be good folks. Sometimes they go a bit Pirate 4x4 on ya but they come around. I think you seem to be stuck in a tough spot. There are few active 1st Gen Tacoma guys on MUD and TW guys are bitter about newbies that create an account and ask simple questions with little to no research so they get the cold shoulder. On top of that you have a question that isn't very straight forward to answer. I think if you give it time and post your progress the guys on TW will be more than happy to help.

From what I can tell, is the swap you're trying to do achievable? Yes, but not a simple one for one... I'm not sure why Toyota made so many minor changes that really didn't do anything over the years. If you lived a bit closer I'd love to help and learn with you but VA is a bit far from IL/IA

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom