Manual starter button (for emergency) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I know when the starter starts to go on my old FZJ or a Tacoma or similar you could 'bang' the starter solenoid/plunger with the key a few times and it would always start at least a few more times. On these push button guys I can only imagine the computer will try once then just throw a check engine light. Has anyone tried making a button that plugs into the starter relay slot or similar so you could bang away until it works again? Might be pretty handy if in BFE somewhere and the thing quits. I've also had new reman starters crap out with very low miles and preventative changing of the starter may not be the best option for everyone. Thoughts? I did search but apologies if there is already a thread on this...

I know when the starter starts to go on my old FZJ or a Tacoma or similar you could 'bang' the starter solenoid/plunger with the key a few times and it would always start at least a few more times. On these push button guys I can only imagine the computer will try once then just throw a check engine light. Has anyone tried making a button that plugs into the starter relay slot or similar so you could bang away until it works again? Might be pretty handy if in BFE somewhere and the thing quits. I've also had new reman starters crap out with very low miles and preventative changing of the starter may not be the best option for everyone. Thoughts? I did search but apologies if there is already a thread on this...
There is a "long screwdriver" method of starting a 200 discussed in several threads here. In theory, if the issue is the solenoid switch contacts, bypassing power around the failed contacts will throw the solenoid, push the plunger/gear into the flywheel, and energize the starter motor. I say "in theory" because I've never done it or seen it done. For it to work, I think you would have to have one person push the start button and have a second person, laying under the truck, energize the screwdriver a split second later. Or maybe all you need is the ignition on. What bothers me about this is that I think the normal action of the solenoid is to first drive the spur gear into the flywheel and then the starter motor starts to crank the flywheel. The screw driver would do these things at the same time. Don't really know if that matter or not or even if I understand how it really works.

I plan on replacing my starter soon. Its not acting up but I'm at 162K. I have thought about connecting a heavy gauge wire from the solenoid/starter contact up to a more convenient location under the hood where I could hit it with a jumper cable. Essentially permanently installing the long screwdriver.

What bothers me about this is that I think the normal action of the solenoid is to first drive the spur gear into the flywheel and then the starter motor starts to crank the flywheel.
The solenoid pushing the starter drive gear into the flywheel is a primary reason to have someone hold the start button just before someone else applies power with the screwdriver. This part of the process usually still works with the start button, it’s just that the electrical contacts within the solenoid are compromised so even with it in the engaged position you don’t have a closed circuit, or at least not one capable of enough current.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom