Manual glow plugs (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all,

I have a 1982 HJ47 with the 2H. The glow plugs are activated by turning the ignition key back for 15-30 seconds, then turn forward to start.

It starts rough and smokes like most 2H's. A friend has suggested installing a manual glow plug setup where a switch could be pressed to activate the glow plugs as needed during start up. He said this makes startups much easier and much less smoke is produced.

Has anyone here done this and are there any issues with installing a manual glow plug setup?

Thanks

If you do a search for "Wilson Switch" you will get tons of info on manual glow.

If my truck hasn't run for a while, I double or triple glow it before starting. No smoke. But on my (former) 3B engine there is a ~5 secs. timer for the glow cycle.

You may also have one or more dead plugs. Either test them or replace the set (especially if you don't know their history).

This does sound like a classic underglow start problem.

HTH
B

Hey duckling...my 1982 has the push button switch or manual system. I think it is nearing replacement time and am interested to hear about your install, where you got parts, etc. I am a new diesel owner so any info appreciated. Here or email at creature6@gmail.com if fine. Thanks! Dave

find the two wires that go to your ignition switch and add jumpers to them so they can reach a push button. Then do like normal turn the key backwards to glow, start the engine and push the extra button closing that circuit for the glow again. Easy as pie?

The ignition switch when turned back must make a circuit for the glow plug relay. So by taking those two wires and joining them at another spot allows you to glow them when the key is in the run pos.

the term "wilson" is not meaning a manual system in every vehicle. It is a term coined by greg_b when his friend Mr.Wilson made a wiring harness quick change to a BJ60 so that the timer was in-op and had a button.

the term "wilson" is not meaning a manual system in every vehicle. It is a term coined by greg_b when his friend Mr.Wilson made a wiring harness quick change to a BJ60 so that the timer was in-op and had a button.

So you guys are just using a big spring loaded heavy duty button like me? I havent been able to find pics of a Wilson switch anywhere:confused::D

My glowplug switch is connected to the old wire that went to the coil in its gasser days. I have to turn the ignition to ON to make it work.
The glowplug switch conveniently filled up the old choke cable hole in the dash;)

well the switch isn't "wilson" it's the method of getting there that is "wilson" only greg_b can describe.. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom