Manual Glow plugs "Wilson Switch" (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey there everyone, I'm not really sure how to word this or if I'll even get a reply, but here we go.
Ok so I some how managed to shorted out the electrical in my Ln130 1991 surf 2.4TD and my glow plugs stopped working after I installed a lift kit. so I installed a "wilson switch into it. Not optimal but its what i needed to get her started cause I live in canada and in the winter I cant just keep cranking the engine over. ( which is what one mechanic told me to do ).
so I am curious because now the surf is puffing quite a bit of white smoke while it warms up, so my question is how long should i hold the switch on for, ( cause I dont want to cause more damage ) but I also dont want to smoke out the neighbors and listen to it rough idle.

Any info would be grand, I've read a couple of places to check the water temp sensor and the coolant sensor but I cant for the life of me figure out where the coolant sensor is.
again any and all advice and Help is Much appreciated! have a good day! :)

Reading this thread on an Aussie forum suggests that your Surf has a SuperGlow system. Bearing that in mind, did you change the plugs when you went to a Wilson Switch?

The SuperGlow plugs are a lower voltage than normal.

Two threads of note, if you haven’t already read them:

For me using manual glow plugs.
Although I have 10.5 volt plugs in a 3B, and I left the resistor in place on the busbar.

10-15 seconds glow.
crank and start
10 seconds additional glow to smooth out idle and reduce smoke.
20 seconds no glow (roughly)
5-10 more glow if needed to smooth out idle again.

Different voltage plug (like original 6 volt ones) were meant to glow quicker and might not like too many seconds on and might burn them out. So if it starts easily with 5-10 seconds of glow, then after running you can re-glow a few seconds more again. Thats what the super glow did, it after glowed....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom