Manual Gear Lever Not Engaging (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi guys, I'm new here. I recently acquired a 2009 LC100, with a manual 5-Speed gearbox. At the time of purchase, the previous owner had removed the front IFS axle and the vehicle was running on the rear wheels. I installed the front axle, and realized the Centre diff switch was locked in the 'on' position, which was causing the transmission to wind up. I changed the centre diff sensor, but the axles remained locked. To prevent a wind up of the transmission, I removed the front propeller shaft, but then realized the gears would not engage unless the centre-diff switch was in the "on" position.
When I move the short lever either L or H and then engage front or reverse gear, nothing happens. When I turn the centre diff switch either on or off, I can hear the solenoid engage or disengage. When it is off, no gear is engaging, until I turn on the switch, and then I have movement. What could be the problem?

Sounds like a hub flange or outboard CV axle shaft is stripped.

Hi guys, I'm new here. I recently acquired a 2009 LC100, with a manual 5-Speed gearbox. At the time of purchase, the previous owner had removed the front IFS axle and the vehicle was running on the rear wheels. I installed the front axle, and realized the Centre diff switch was locked in the 'on' position, which was causing the transmission to wind up. I changed the centre diff sensor, but the axles remained locked. To prevent a wind up of the transmission, I removed the front propeller shaft, but then realized the gears would not engage unless the centre-diff switch was in the "on" position.
When I move the short lever either L or H and then engage front or reverse gear, nothing happens. When I turn the centre diff switch either on or off, I can hear the solenoid engage or disengage. When it is off, no gear is engaging, until I turn on the switch, and then I have movement. What could be the problem?

Lots of unpack here -

Quick diff lesson: a standard open differential (like what we have three of in these trucks) will always send the majority of it's power to the wheel with the least traction.

For AWD vehicles (like the LC100), the center diff will send most of it's power to the axle with the least traction.

In your case, your front axle has the 'least traction' because the driveline is completely missing, so the front output from the transfer case is where the center diff is sending all the power.

Engaging your center diff locks the front and rear transfer case outputs together - so now your rear axle gets power as well as your (non-existent) front. This is why when you remove the prop shaft, it wouldn't move until you locked the center diff (and why the previous owner had it locked).

I'm somewhat confused by your transmission bind up issue...with the front axles and driveshaft installed and center diff unlocked, you start to bind the transmission? Or the truck won't move?

I'm somewhat confused by your transmission bind up issue...with the front axles and driveshaft installed and center diff unlocked, you start to bind the transmission? Or the truck won't move?
Truck iz drunk

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom