1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Manual Crank

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by Benji, Mar 8, 2004.

1. Benji

Benji

I am somewhat new to the LC world. When I first bought my 84 FJ60, the PO said the off-centered hole in the front of the grill was there so that the engine could be manually turned over with the OEM jack hand crank. He said it was fully functional, however, some AC parts got in the way from doing it. Is this mechanism still functional? Does anyone know about this, or did he just pull my leg?

:cheers:
    Thans for the clarification.

2. nuclearlemon

nuclearlemon not an addict Moderator

Media:
    Albums:
    yes, it is functional, just make sure that you don't lock your elbows when cranking. on the 60's, the radiator or support or something is in the way and you can't get a crank handle into the engine.

3. Landpimp

Landpimp

Media:
    he is correct, the notch in the lower valance is for the hand crank handle, he is also right in that the AC and or rad is in the way of the crank nut it need to hook onto. But if this wasn't there........yes yuo could hand crank it.

4. cruiser_guy

cruiser_guy

I would rather get a jump start, push start it, try coasting down hill or any other solution before I'd try cranking an engine over by hand to start!

5. lagwagon

lagwagon

I haven't seen any 60's with the proper crankpulley nut