1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mans sees epidural needle-faints-dies - Wife sues hospital- When will this crap end?

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by PolterGeist, Jul 7, 2005.

1. PolterGeist

PolterGeist

When is someone gonna look at lawsuits like this and say, "look, this is enough."?

http://reuters.com/news/newsArticle...7121599_RTRIDST_0_HEALTH-LIFE-EPIDURAL-DC.XML

I personally think we need to institute a loser pays system-- if you sue someone and you lose the trial, you pay the defendant's legal fees. Maybe that will keep crap like this out of the court system?

What else could we do? You need to be able to sue someone if you are wronged and they don't make it right, but it's gone way too far.

And people wonder why healthcare cost are skyrocketing-- with docs having to pay six figures a year for insurance, and hospitals paying in the millions...

Steve

2. fsusteve

fsusteve

Media:
    Albums:
    When we quit making attorneys...

3. alvarorb

alvarorb Color Geek in Charge

Steve,

I think most everyone would agree that the looser should pay all court fees like in most countries around the world. Except: lawyers and their lobbyists.

Years ago I saw a piece on 60 Minutes about this, everyone interviewed agreed that the looser should pay. Even the judges.

Regards

Alvaro

4. IDave

IDave

Media:
    Albums:
    I would like to see a real, honest, scientific study looking at the impact of liability costs on our economy. It would be hard to do, I know, but maybe do some kind of comparison with other countries with liability limits. It has to have a substantial impact on our ability to compete in a world market.

5. Jan-78FJ40

Jan-78FJ40

come on, these epidural needles are damn scary! what happens if they ever start roaming free? does anyone have enough gubs to shoot them?

ok, I shut up:)

6. wob

wob

Gosh, maybe I have been brainwashed into our litigous society's norms, but I think she may have a decent case. Don't most hospitals kind of prepare for husbands fainting in the delivery room? Maybe not the point of having someone full time to catch the fainting pussy, err husband, but at least not have a big ass table behind him. Plus, why did the staff have him hold and steady his wife, but do that themselves. I think they were somewhat negligent here. :frown:

7. Brentbba

Brentbba Former Golfer SILVER Star

I agree that loser should pay. May stop alot of bullsh!t lawsuits.

Regarding, this one, while I feel for the wife, I hope they throw it out of court. Now if there was mishandling of the husband by the hospital or doctors 'after' the injury, they maybe there's a case. Guess he was just a :princess:

I was a pathologist's assistant while in high school and has no trouble at all with dead folks! On the other hand, the wife can't even look at a needle on TV!

8. Hltoppr

Hltoppr

Media:
    Albums:
    Port of Indecision...otherwise Northern Arizona
    Actually, it's when we stop making plaintiffs.....

:rolleyes: ;)

-H-

9. Biff

Biff

Okay I saw my wife get this needle, and it didn't effect me one bit. If the guy knew he was a pus*y why the hell did he watch or help.

10. White Shark

White Shark

Media:
    Albums:
    Poltergeist, I was lured into reading your post as my Kaiser rates will likely go up now. When I was reading the post that you so obviously lured me into reading, I suffered a mental breakdown (Pissedoffandangryitis) and I need extensive treatment (deep sea fishing, personal 18 year old female Asian massage therapist, tall cool drinks, etc.) As such, I will be suing you because you should have forseen the fact that I would get this angry and debilitating disease. I can hardly function with the thought of so much mone.....er, I mean so much physical therapy and retraining. Talk to my noble and underpaid lawyer....:D

11. PolterGeist

PolterGeist

Ah yes, I apologize for my blatant lack of foresight. I regret this error and am informing you that I will participate fully in your treatment so that I may make it up to you and offer my support in your recovery.
    ;)

Steve

12. White Shark

White Shark

Media:
    Albums:
    I'm feeling better all ready. :D

13. wob

wob

Oh hell, you've screwed up now! By apologizing, you imply your guilt.

14. PolterGeist

PolterGeist

I too would like to see a study like this. For now, I have only this anecdote: (you know I have an anecdote for everything by now!)

A friend of my dad's was a doctor in California. I saw him for the first time in many years at my dad's funeral. He congratulated me on going to med school, asked what I was going to major in, where I was going to go, etc.

I answered these questions and asked how his practice was going. He told me he was no longer practicing. I asked why-- he said that since HMOs were paying so little these days, and his malpractice insurance in CA was so high, he was only netting about $50,000 a year... For 12-14 hour days, on call weekends-- you know the spiel...

He's now working as a union longshoreman at the Port of Los Angeles, is netting $10,000 more per year, has the ability to make more with overtime, gets weekends and holidays off...

So there is one cost of such a litigious society-less availability of medical treatment.

My professors talk to us a lot about malpractice. (off the record of course!) Mississippi, with it's cap on damages, gets mentioned a lot. THe odd thing is that that liability cap did not cause docs' malpractice insurance premiums to decrease. It stayed the same and has continued to increase year after year.

This is cause most malpractice suits filed are junk. Doctors win 95% of malpractice cases, so capping liability only affects the outcome (cost) of about 5% of the cases. The doctors, their employers and their insurance companies are still footing the bill for trying/settling the other 95% of crap cases.

One professor told me that he NEVER settled a bullshit case out of court. When the plaintiff's attorney called (And they always do) and said "lets talk about settling this out of court," he always said "fawk you, see you in court. *click*"

He believed that settling out of court was bad for doctors. If more of their insurance companies and employers would stand up and take cases to trial, lawyers would soon get the message that they are not soft targets... Most lawyers who file BS cases don't want to go to court-- they want the quick, juicy out-of-court settlement that they can take their 40% plus expenses off of, then move onto the next one. When they find out you are serious about going to court, they suddenly lose interest in the case and stop responding to client's phone calls. Half the time, they don't even have evidence to prove the charges made in the complaint anyway! They're certainly not going to spend time and money on a BS case when it could be better used rounding up other cases and getting settlements from soft targets.

When you tell them "no settlement-- we won't even consider it" many of the cases die on the vine right then and there. It's the ones that call your bluff you have to worry about.

Litigation is beginning to affect every type of business, and I think we need to change it. I think the option of litigation should be there for the times it is really necessary, but filing frivolous lawsuits should start to become expensive for those that do it.

Steve

15. concretejungle

concretejungle SILVER Star

I REALLY hope you are kidding?! :rolleyes: Well, if i slip tomorrow while wheelin' and i sue the national park service for not putting a hand rail close enough to the rock i bump my head on because i got out to take a picture of my rig posing, you'll back me won't you? :rolleyes: Hell, i have honestly heard from a lawyer friend (yes i only have one of them) of a case where someone sued for the right to sue first!

The really tragic thing is that a court of US citizens award damages for such idiotic lawsuits.

16. TJDIV

TJDIV Back in The U.P.

Media:
    Albums:
    that happened to a chick I was about to bang once...saw the beast and passed right out....

turns out she was still warm enough to hump on.

17. concretejungle

concretejungle SILVER Star

bwahahahahha.................. :cheers:

18. bigndn

bigndn

Media:
    Albums:

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAA!!!!!!! ROTFLMFAO!!! Was it from pure fright or desire for the 2" killer? :flipoff2:

19. fsusteve

fsusteve

Media:
    Albums:

Control that thing bro, put a leash on it....

20. HZJ60 Guy

HZJ60 Guy Tank Buster

When the American Bar Association stops being the number TWO contributor to the democrat party!

Second only to the N.E.A. in contributions. The A.B.A. owns the party and they arent EVER going to let dems in the house and or senate vote ANYTHING that hinders their ability to make billions of dollars seuing people!

I mean HELLO, John Edwards (ran for V.P. remember) made his fortune chasing ambulances!!!!

Hello.