Manifold Refresh -- need part numbers! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ok, so, since searching gets me a lot of threads from 2004 referencing NLA parts, I'm hoping I can save several hours of annoying research by just asking for your guys' help. For reference, I did a half-assed, entirely clueless job of replacing the manifold gasket in 2011, without getting the manifolds machined, and it's only just started leaking when cold now, 8.5 years later. Unfortunately, I also have several other exhaust leaks on/around the manifold which (surprise, surprise) didn't go away after replacing the three downpipe studs/nuts and donut gasket last month.

Here's what I'm looking for (for a 12/'85 US market FJ60):

1. The joint on one horn of my exhaust manifold is leaking, so I'd like to pull the manifold off and replace all the ring gasket dealies in there, on both sides. What am I going to need for that? All I know is that there's either one or two rings on each horn, and also some springs that go with them?

2. Since I've got that intermittent exhaust leak on the head/manifolds joint, I'm going to pull the exhaust/intake manifolds, get them machined (together, so the bolt notches on the flanges match!), and I've heard a TON of different ideas about whether to keep the stock studs, replace all the studs with bolts, etc. -- if I was going to replace all of the manifold hardware, just so everything is shiny, new, and not stretched/rounded off/stripped, what's my part list? And what's the consensus on switching from bolts to nuts/studs and vice versa? I just remember that it was a real pain in the ass getting the dang thing reinstalled last time, but I'm a lot better at wrenching now, so maybe I'd be fine leaving it with the stock bolt/stud situation? Also, I definitely used some regular hardware store, non-JIS bolts, homemade half-washers, etc. when I did the manifold gasket back in 2011, and I'd like to replace ALL of that so I don't have to hunt for 13, 15, 17, etc. mm sockets the next time I tear into it.

3. I need a manifold gasket and the intake-to-exhaust gaskets (I have the little plate SOR makes that replaces the stock heat riser setup, so I think there are still two of the gaskets between the two manifolds? Is the Felpro still the best choice for the main gasket? I remember trying the Remflex gasket and having to replace it after just a few months back in '11, and the Felpro has only started leaking in the last 8 months or so.

4. I'm desmogged and have Jim C's great EGR downpipe plug, but I think the gasket on there might be leaking, too, and I'd rather have a replacement than not before I start tearing everything down. Can I get a part number for that gasket and the studs/nuts/etc. which go with it?

5. Any specific things I need to tell a machine shop, other than 'Machine these together so the flange for each bolt is flush'? I'm planning on having the two manifolds bolted together and torqued to spec before handing it over to them, so they're basically ready to go back onto the head and on top of the downpipe. Should that be enough, assuming the shop knows what they're doing?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom