Manifold insulator question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm working on changing out my ps and smog pump when i noticed that my hot air intake hose disconnected from the air cleaner. As I inspected further, I notice the other end of the hose was attached to a J pipe pointing to the manifold but not attached. I didn't know exactly what it was until I researched further here and noticed that the J pipe is all that's left to the manifold insulator.

Question - For those in smog states and don't have the insulator, what do you do? Diagram attached for reference. My 60 seemed to run fine with the set up of just pointing the J pipe towards the manifold.

exhaust insulator.JPG

All that does is pull hot air off of the exhaust to help the engine warm up in cold conditions. I don't think it matters too much unless you are in a very cold climate and trying to improve engine warm up by any means possible. I am in vermont and removed mine as it was not in good shape. If you decide you need it you can use any flexible heat resistant hose that fits.

Even what you currently have is still probably good enough. Its not part of the vacuum manifold and its just there to help the air cleaner pull warm air from that area when the valve flips in the air cleaner neck.

A crappy pic but tried to highlight the hose and the J pipe at the end not attached to the manifold.

Here's that hose:

A new one makes things easier when you're taking the air filter assembly off and on. You need some kind of hose there to pass the visual here in CA.

The metal insulator assembly is harder to come by. You might find a used one at cruiser parts or from someone desmogging in the classifieds.

But there are 2 mounting holes on the insulator - your upper one looks broken but if the lower one down to the right is still OK yours should hold with a tight bolt in there. There's not any pressure in there - it just needs to stay in place. The most action it ever sees is someone taking the air filter assembly off and on.

If you pull the rubber hose going to the air rail off and out of the way, and then pull the existing hot air tube off, you should be able to get at the insulator and see if the lower hole will work. Sometimes it's easier to put a stud in the manifold and then place the insulator on it, than it is to blind-thread a bolt in there.

All that does is pull hot air off of the exhaust to help the engine warm up in cold conditions. I don't think it matters too much unless you are in a very cold climate and trying to improve engine warm up by any means possible. I am in vermont and removed mine as it was not in good shape. If you decide you need it you can use any flexible heat resistant hose that fits.

Even what you currently have is still probably good enough. Its not part of the vacuum manifold and its just there to help the air cleaner pull warm air from that area when the valve flips in the air cleaner neck.
We don't get anywhere as cold as Vermont in these parts unless we head up to the Sierra. Good to know though. Thanks.

Here's that hose:

A new one makes things easier when you're taking the air filter assembly off and on. You need some kind of hose there to pass the visual here in CA.

The metal insulator assembly is harder to come by. You might find a used one at cruiser parts or from someone desmogging in the classifieds.

But there are 2 mounting holes on the insulator - your upper one looks broken but if the lower one down to the right is still OK yours should hold with a tight bolt in there. There's not any pressure in there - it just needs to stay in place. The most action it ever sees is someone taking the air filter assembly off and on.

If you pull the rubber hose going to the air rail off and out of the way, and then pull the existing hot air tube off, you should be able to get at the insulator and see if the lower hole will work. Sometimes it's easier to put a stud in the manifold and then place the insulator on it, than it is to blind-thread a bolt in there.
I passed smog last year with no issues. I don't know if it was bolted on the lower mounting holes. There's enough still there where I should be able to mount it back on. Thanks.

All that's required to pass the visual inspection at a CA smog test is the hose clamped to the air cleaner neck and pointed next to the exhaust manifold. The original shroud/duct that cupped around the manifold shoulder was made of fiberous material (likely containing asbestos) and it dissolves with age. There never was a nice metal shroud like found on the earlier cruisers.

The hot air intake system isn't just for warming up. It keeps the intake air charge at the optimum temperature whenever the outside air is cold. It's a good thing to keep functional even if smog tests aren't required.

I recently picked up an 84 cruiser and the air cleaner assembly was sitting in the back of the rig. As I am getting this thing up and running again I went to connect it and noticed there was nothing to connect the hot air tube to. Did people remove that piece(insulator??) that connects to the manifold or could it have fallen off? I live in Montana and plan to drive the rig in the winter. Sounds like it doesn't have to be connected but since it gets awfully cold here in the winter would it be wise to do it? If so, it sounds like that insulator part is difficult to come by. Thanks for the help!!

I recently picked up an 84 cruiser and the air cleaner assembly was sitting in the back of the rig. As I am getting this thing up and running again I went to connect it and noticed there was nothing to connect the hot air tube to. Did people remove that piece(insulator??) that connects to the manifold or could it have fallen off? I live in Montana and plan to drive the rig in the winter. Sounds like it doesn't have to be connected but since it gets awfully cold here in the winter would it be wise to do it? If so, it sounds like that insulator part is difficult to come by. Thanks for the help!!
The original fitting that created a small hot air pocket for the hot air intake duct to connect to was formed out of a fiberous material (asbestos?) which dissolved after 15-20 years. It’s no longer available and there aren’t any used or aftermarket versions available (that I could find).
The FJ40 had a nice metal shield which never dissolved, but it doesn’t fit on the 2F exhaust manifold (I tried).

If you wire the duct right against the exhaust manifold arm, the air it sucks in will be plenty warm.

I appreciate the feedback!! Mine is a 60 series. I assume it is different than a 40 series.

Here is the engine bay on a 60 and you can just see the hot air tube running up to a port on the understand of the stock air cleaner assembly.

Also even if the Toyota part number is NLA there were a lot of cars from this time period that had similar systems with similar hoses. Also you can just google exhaust hose and there are a lot of high heat type hoses out there that will work.

1634045799725.png

Last edited:
Appreciate it!! I still have the hose but the port is completely missing! Just curious if you guys with more knowledge think I need it or not?? Sounds like its impossible to find one. Thanks

You don’t need the fitting. Just wire the end of the duct against the manifold elbow.

Sounds good!! Appreciate the info. Anyone happen to have a picture of theirs that has done this? I assume it's pretty straightforward??

The ducts have a wound wire core which makes it kind of like a slinky. It expands and contracts. Just expand the duct farther than needed and jamb it it there snug against the manifold. It won’t go anywhere because it’s held firmly in place by the metal collar above on the air cleaner neck -wiring not even needed.
If you wanted to wire it, just a loop or two through the duct and around the manifold arm is all that’s needed

We don't get anywhere as cold as Vermont in these parts unless we head up to the Sierra. Good to know though. Thanks.
"The coldest winter I ever spent was a summer in San Francisco." Twain

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom