Man-a-fre rear bumper/cooler carrier (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

treerootCO

Where are my keys?!
Threads
Website
home.comcast.net
Is anyone on the board running this style carrier? I have seen a few with the older style ones but haven't seen the new style on any rigs yet. My question is whether or not a standard size cooler will fit in it like the ad says. I called man-a-fre and the internal dimensions of the basket are 24 1/8" x 13 3/4". All of my coolers are 14 1/2" deep. The ARB freezer fridge that they mention fit 42 quart shows an external dimension of H20 x W24 7/8 x D14 1/8"....even that appears to be too deep to fit so I am confused. Is it adjustable maybe?
maf1046new2.jpg

did you get my pm's

60 parts we talked about wednsday night?
grab handle
door panels
how about cargo area panels
i'll be in lakewood tomorrow

Hey!

Nice carrier! Paint job turned out well Mike! I really like those aluminum diamondplate corners!

did you get my pm?

Mike-

In all the threads that have been posted up about carriers, I have not ever seen anyone post up that they have that style...

:beer:

I have heard the older style with the tube style cooler carrier limits the departure angle. Per the page, the newer design moved both the tire and the cooler up higher to improve the angles. Only problem is the design changed and now Man-a-fre is telling me two different things. First guy said the new design had a bigger cooler rack, second guy went out and measured for me the inside dimensions and they are not big enough to put a cooler in there.

Last thing he said was that he would call the manufacturer and call me back...no call back yet...

I have the older style rack with the round tubes, a 54 quart metal coleman cooler DOES NOT FIT. when I bought the rack the IDIOTS told me that a coleman would fit. I was able to cram a plastic cooler in there.

Koleman makes a lot of koolers......i would bet that the person you talked to in kalifornia has not even seen a metal koleman kooler before....

the poly ones seem more durable and forgiving than the metal ones.....but they do not have a bottle opener......Land Cruisers come from the factory with many bottle openers however....

:beer:

I've got the older one with the tube basket. I found a cooler that fits.

I hit the pivots and the trailer hitch square box thing when I come off of a rock sometimes. Doesn't look like they raised any of that.

i don't think mike wants to deal with finding a cooler to fit a rack...he wants his cooler to fit whatever he buys. he's got the standard metal coleman cooler (newer version)

Treeroot,

I have that carrier on the 71. I can check it out and get a measurement for you and even try my coolers for fitment. (As soon as the Dennis leaves our area). The cooler part does not have an adjustment.

I don't put a cooler in there. I use it to carry fuel cans.

Doug

no call back from Man-a-fre.....I do not believe their cooler carriers can actually hold a cooler. I do not believe they can even hold the cooler that is pictured on their web site (same pic above). I'll send a PM to Steve and see what he says.

Sorry I didnt see this sooner. That is the MAF-1046 bumper. It is the same as the old tube style rack, but it has a larger basket on it. The basket is not adjustable, but can be removed if you wanted to. I have seen all sorts of different coolers fit both bumpers, there really arent any that I would reccomend over another. ARB has a few different sized coolers, which one is everyone here trying to fit?

65-fj45, that idiot that told you a cooler would fit probably had a cooler in his rack. Did he say that every cooler in the world would fit? I doubt it, and no, we dont see metal coolers here very often.

Steve

treerootCO said:
no call back from Man-a-fre.....I do not believe their cooler carriers can actually hold a cooler. I do not believe they can even hold the cooler that is pictured on their web site (same pic above). I'll send a PM to Steve and see what he says.

No they cant hold a cooler.... here is a link showing that same carrier with the cooler in it not holding a cooler. No cooler? It was all a haux, see I'm a magician by trade, now you see the cooler, now you dont. Wait, its still there, in the rack, the one that cant hold it.

The measurements of the 42 quart ARB cooler are the same as my cooler. The one pictured is a 42 quart cooler and it is in the rack. According to the measurements I have from Danny? that cooler will not fit in the cooler rack. He measured it at 13 3/4" deep. To fit the cooler shown in the rack, the internal dimension (depth) would have to be more than 14 1/8". I don't have an ARB 42 quart to measure so I am going off the dimensions listed on the ARB site. A standard Coleman cooler, plastic, metal, etc. are 14+ deep.

If the actual dimensions of an ARB are less than 13 3/4" then I understand. If that is true, my next question is can I order a cooler rack that is larger from Man-a-fre? One that will fit the cooler I have. If not, can I order a rack that hasn't been powder coated so I can cut and reweld the cooler rack an inch larger?

The best part is it looks like that cooler is floating around in there if you look at the shadows. Seems like there is almost an inch all the way around it. That would make the internal dimension 16 or so, not 13 3/4. I hope that is true because all I need is 14+ inches to make it work.

Last edited:
treerootCO said:
The measurements of the 42 quart ARB cooler are the same as my cooler. The one pictured is a 42 quart cooler and it is in the rack. According to the measurements I have from Danny? that cooler will not fit in the cooler rack. He measured it at 13 3/4" deep. To fit the cooler shown in the rack, the internal dimension (depth) would have to be more than 14 1/8". I don't have an ARB 42 quart to measure so I am going off the dimensions listed on the ARB site. A standard Coleman cooler, plastic, metal, etc. are 14+ deep.

If the actual dimensions of an ARB are less than 13 3/4" then I understand. If that is true, my next question is can I order a cooler rack that is larger from Man-a-fre? One that will fit the cooler I have. If not, can I order a rack that hasn't been powder coated so I can cut and reweld the cooler rack an inch larger?

Unfortunately I dont have a cooler to measure here also. Call me here some time if you want to talk about the custom rack a little more. We may be able to do it, but it takes time to complete, and payment is done up front. Because 4+ is almost a one man operation, we have to prioritize what products are coming through. I also think that ARB changed the their cooler line a while back. I am not 100% sure, but I think they started with different sizes than they have right now. I'll have to look into it.

Steve

Last edited:
treeroot

I have the older style and there is no differnce in the height according to the pictures posted. It is the same height and will be the same for departure angle. I like the bumper but hated the bushings. My bushings go so hard to move that I had to use my whole body weight to swing it open. So I modified the bumper. I cut of the bushings and replaced them with the heavy duty hinges from 4x4 labs. while I was cutting and welding I modified the basket to take a bigger cooler. If you want to look at it I can take some pictures or if you are in Parker stop by and see it. I think it is sweet now. My basket now measures 15" x 25". Let me know if you want pics.

Greg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom