Man-A-Fre DUI install, check my work please (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am close to finishing the resto-modification of my FJ, I am so close to driving it, I just need help, with what I think is a timing issue...

I am going thru installation of my DUI distributor right now in my 1976 2F I have swapped into the truck. I have the NGK plugs gapped to .055, new spark plug wires, and of course distributor. I also have all new gas lines and have cleaned the tank and have put in fresh fuel. I am getting fuel flow thru the lines to the carb, which is a weber 32/36 that the PO had installed.

When I installed the dui, I put the bb on the indicator, in the flywheel sight window, used a long screw driver to turn the oil pump driveshaft slot to point at just before the #4 plug. I then dropped the distributor base in place, making sure it was seated properly. I marked where the rotor was pointing, installed the top, made the point where the rotor was pointing my #1 wire and ran my wires to my plugs in a 1.5.3.6.2.4 order. It started and idled very rough last night for 20-30 seconds, and this afternoon, I cannot get it to fire.

Have I done anything wrong? Am I missing some critical steps in the install? I know very little about timing a motor...any help you can lend would be greatly appreciated.

Anyone have any ideas of what I might have goofed on?? Please type slowly and expalin things as much as possible, as this is my first attempt at anything like this.

Last edited:
Is .55 the right gap for NGK Plugs? I though most cruiser plugs were .32 or close to it. I bet you are 180 off on the Dist. install.

I just looked at the NGK site and they recommend .40 for their plugs.
If you reverse the plug wires front to back, (making # 6 become #1), you could find out if you are 180 0ff without pulling your Dist.

Thank you for the reply. I will try the plug wire reversal this weekend.

I had gapped the plugs to .055, because in my search that is what others with a dui had done, but I will try the .40 setting as well.

In order to fine tune timing, can I just rotate the dist. slighty one way or the other?

Thank you for all the help! I am so close to having this motor running again!

Last edited:
OK, I got home this afternoon and reversed the plugs on the distributor. It had major backfire and blowback out of carb...which leads me to think the original order was some what correct. I installed them back in the original order and it did start and ran with a very exagerated hesitation or "miss".

Could this be due to the gap in the NGK plugs being at .055, and that being too much gap? If I regap them at .040 will this help to correct the problem?

And am I correct in thinking that since it started and ran, although rough, that I am somewhat on the right track with the distributor and the timing?

Your .055 gap is fine for an HEI distributor. That is one of the advantages of a high powered unit like that.

It sounds like your timing is close enough to start it but you need to use a timing light to get it set exact. The factory setting is 7 degrees before top dead center. If you dont have a timing light try loosening the distributor bolt enough for the dist to rotate. With it running, slowly rotate it clockwise in very small increments. This should advance the timing and you should hear the idle speed increase. Hopefully it will also smooth out the idle a bit and reduce or eliminate the hesitation. Lock the bolt down and test drive it. Once you confirm the timing is right using a timing light, if it still runs bad, then it could be a carb or vacuum leak issue.

Mine did the exact same thing. Remove and plug the vacuum line going from the carb to your new distributor. If it runs good then you have a vac issue.

An update on my progress... I have it timed some what right as it is starting in the second or third time the mototr turns over. However the idle is very rough, and if I give it fuel, it will speed up, but the miss is so bad that it will shake the truck. I have a Man a fre DUI with mechanical advance, which is a new dist, new plugs and new plug wires.

I checked my fuel pump and it was putting out a very health stream in on/off spurts, that I guess is correct. I tried to adjust the lean screw on the weber, but it seemed to have no affect on the problem. I st the lean/rich at 1 1/2 turns out and the idle speed screw at 1 turn out. Sometimes it stumbles to a stop and has sometimes shot a white blow by cloud out of the carb, it will also blow the oil cap off the top of the valve cover.

What am I looking at here? I am in wayyy over my head.

Your timing still sounds off.

Also - regap the plugs to .45". The .55 number is only really doable with PERFECT timing and new plugswires, etc. Just my experience.

Your timing still sounds off.

Also - regap the plugs to .45". The .55 number is only really doable with PERFECT timing and new plugswires, etc. Just my experience.

Thanks, I will regap the plugs and continue trying to get the timing more on target.

Like MtnTrucker said, your timing seems close enough that you should be able to dial it in.

Loosen the dizzy and rotate it in place with the truck running. Make sure it stays fully seated and turn it until you get a nice consistent idle.

:beer:

You all were right. The timing was off. A buddy ran by the house with a timing light and it fired right up. I am so excited...about 2 months away from having it on the road after a full resto-modification!

Last edited:
Congrats. I'll have to stop by sometime and see it.

Stop on by anytime, if the 4runner is home I am home.:beer:

How about posting up some pics so we can all see it.

I have been taking pics throughout the process and was going to post up a pic thread when I have it all finished up. It does not compair with some of the outstanding projects I have followed on here...but I am pretty proud of her. :bounce:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom