Man-a-fre Bumper... anyone running this? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Howdy-

I am in the market for a new tire carrier and bumper for my fj40. I like this design... is anyone using it? Pro's Con's?

How much would a local fabricator be able to do something like this? Ball park, of course.

thanks in advance!

Rezarf <><

Last edited:
I was wondering real world costs to build, with steel prices being so high and the design time involved, I was wondering if this isnt such a bad deal after all.

Rezarf <>,

last price i have

$750.
sound good to me
labor to make one is prolly 10-15 hrs
powdercoat $150.
custom pivots and latches

i like it!!

I built my own.
Very similiar to that one, I only have one pivot. The tire and the cooler rack swing out at the same time.
If you wheel your rig you will want a cooler rack that is higher. If I did it again I would raise mine closer to the top of the tub.
HTH

Chris

Make it from 1/8" x 2" square - maybe 20 ft. @ $3.19 ft. = $63.80
................. 1/8" x 1" round tube - 10 ft. @ $1.79 = $17.90
................... 1/2" x 6" flat bar - 6 ft. @ $4.47 ft. = $26.82
hardware - $40. max and I don't have a lot of size prices in front of me so all it can be is a ballpark figure of around $150. in material. Free labor and Rustoleum - away we go for under $200.
So make one yourself.

Don't forget the shipping cost - those things is HEAVY! Truck frieght of maybe $100.

Dave Gore makes these for MAF. He is one hell of a craftsman!!!

I have abused the hell out of mine since '99....

LOVE IT!

20050501-T-23.jpg

20050501-T-22.jpg

:beer:

Get one!

Poser said:
Dave Gore makes these for MAF. He is one hell of a craftsman!!!

I have abused the hell out of mine since '99....

LOVE IT!

Get one!

Dave-

How is the rattle? How is the departure angle? and does it stick out on the sides?
i guess my question of fitting a 35" tire can be put to rest... that is quite the spare..

thanks-REZARF <><

" How is the rattle? "

NONE!

That is right, NONE!

There is adjustement built into the latch so that it will not ever rattle.

It does not mount to the body, but to the rear crossmember. It does not block out your rear tail lamps either.

" How is the departure angle? "

Has not ever prevented me from going anyplace...

" does it stick out on the sides? " My 42" spare does, just slightly, but you will not have any issue with that, all the way to 38.5" for sure...the rack is tucked behind the body.

I have opened this carrier up so that the tire and carrier section were 180 degrees from where it is latched in the picture, and stood on the spare 42" tire, then jumped up and down with it swung open like that, and NOTHING MOVES!

This carrier will be around long after you ball your junk up...

It is a component, like an 8274-50 winch, that you will get a lifetime of use out of.

Dave is a great guy too!

:beer:

Good luck!

-Steve

I've got exactly that one in the picture. It's excellent. The basket will carry 3 gas cans, or two gas cans and a 4 gallon Reliance water carrier. I've had no issues at all. Make sure you have friends handy for the install.

So I think the next question is; if Dave Gore makes these for MAF, does he sell them himself? I wouldn't mind cutting out MAF as the middleman, save myself a little bit of $$$.

Don't get me wrong, MAF is ok with me. But I'm on a budget...

Probably not since Renegade Fabrication is now Man-A-Fre fabrication. I bought mine right after I bought my 40 and wouldn't trade it for the world. No squeaks and I run a 35" spare that doesn't hang out the side. I would get some pics but it's at MAF getting tuned up and a DUI dizzy. :D

I have one and love it. I am 250 pounds and can stand in the gas can/ice chest stand and not phase it. It thought they discontinued this model though. If it is still available it is excellent quality.

mathblaster said:
So I think the next question is; if Dave Gore makes these for MAF, does he sell them himself? I wouldn't mind cutting out MAF as the middleman, save myself a little bit of $$$.

Don't get me wrong, MAF is ok with me. But I'm on a budget...
from what i heard, he was basically contracted to maf...he wasn't supposed to sell any of the 4+ stuff except through them :frown: ...only reason i don't have it is the $$$ :frown:

nick said:
What 'bout the light for the license plate?

If you really need this.... PM me...

I am pretty sure I have something that will work for you, in this application.

Good luck!

-Steve

nuclearlemon said:
from what i heard, he was basically contracted to maf...he wasn't supposed to sell any of the 4+ stuff except through them :frown: ...only reason i don't have it is the $$$ :frown:

You heard right Iggie...

I have that bumper as well. It is a nice bumper, however, the brass bushings on mine got so hard to move I had to use all of my body weight to swing the carriers open. I would say the bushings are the only down side. What I did was modified it. I got 4x4 lads bearing hinges, which are much beefier, and cut off the bushings, spindles, and welded on the 4x4 labs stuff. I also added stops so that it does not swing into the body. The last thing I did was welded up a new cooler carrier to better fit coolers etc. It turned out great. I then had it powdercoated. the origional was painted. After basically rebiluding it form scrathc it would be very easy to construct one. If you get the steel form a scrap yard you could do it cheaper as well. If anyone wants a picture of the changes let em know and I will take one.

Greg

I just sold mine and know another one in Texas for sell (PM me if your interested). It is heavy, too heavy for my wheel'n, but stout as hell. I too had issues with the bushing...but like everything else they need regular maintenance. I used my OEM license plate frame and fabbed a bracket to attach to the carrier. Overall I liked the carrier. I drug it all over Katemcy...at one point the cooler carrier and spare tire where holding the back of the rig off the ground, hince the reason I took it off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom