1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Making roof bag waterproof

Discussion in 'Camping & Outdoor Gear' started by thelal, Mar 26, 2004.

1. thelal

thelal

Media:
    Ireland; USA (WA,CO, CA, CT), Scotland, London
    Have a large roof bad that can hold 8 sleeping bags. Problem is its not waterprrof. Was supposed to be.
    However get feed up putting each sleeping bagin a black bin bag and then into roof bag.
    I've tried "seal ream" (or whatever its called) for repairing tents but doesn't seem to get in the 'sewing holes'.

Any ideas.

Lal

2. fj40crusher

fj40crusher

Tried any of the water repellent stuff on the market? Some of it works pretty good. Could go to a marine canvas guy and have them make a cover for it.

People often confuse water resistent with waterproof. Big difference there. Water resistent will repel rain for a short period, waterproof will carry your s*** 10 miles downstream in class 4 rapids.

3. Mike S

Mike S

Go to an rafting / river running outfitter, get a big 'dry bag'.

Done.

4. hj60

hj60

There are also military dry bags. Might find one cheaper at a surplus store.
    They come in map case, rucksack, duffelbag and gear case sizes.

5. Junk

Junk

Best damn thing is garbage bags dude, actually trash compactor bags (heavier duty). I've spent a lot of time climbing in the Cascades and no matter what, that is the only way to keep stuff dry. You could get some of those TNF big waterproof bags that are on sale all the time, or MEC or whatever. But always put the bags inside trash bags first. You will not be sorry.

6. hj60

hj60

Another idea is, if this is for the 80, put the moisture-sensitive stuff in the
    back and the stuff that is fine if it's in the elements on the roof.
    Of course, if you've got the 3rd row and a full compliment of passengers, this
    won't work as well. Ten I'd suggest not going out when it rains. ;)

7. Mike S

Mike S

8. Junk

Junk

9. 97 FZJ80

97 FZJ80

Albums:
    Have you tried aqua-seal? It works pretty well for sealing up convertible top holes.

10. IdahoDoug

IdahoDoug

I'd buy the Sears 20 cu ft cargo box for $175. Oh wait - I did. Half the price of the name brands, more functional shape. Will hold 30 sleeping bags. Oh, it's currently on sale.....

DougM

11. 97 FZJ80

97 FZJ80

Albums:
    [quote author=IdahoDoug link=board=14;threadid=13755;start=msg130676#msg130676 date=1080794181]
    I'd buy the Sears 20 cu ft cargo box for $175. Oh wait - I did. Half the price of the name brands, more functional shape. Will hold 30 sleeping bags. Oh, it's currently on sale.....

DougM
    [/quote]

Hi DougM,

How does the Sears 20 cu ft cargo box mount to the OEM roof rack without additional parts? Sear's website has conflicting information. On the 80-series cruiser, it stated a perfect fit. On the 96-97 LX450 it needed the #72314 Thule railing rack?

John