making an offer (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just joined as this looks like the most extensive forum for the F series. My neighbor has a land cruiser sitting uncovered in his front yard, being hit by all the bay area weather for what seems the past 3 or 4 years. probably collecting rust. I believe he acquired it from another neighbor a block over.

How would you suggest i approach the owner and try to find out if they are willing to sell?

I don't personally know the neighbors, the street is 2 blocks over. here is how i was thinking of approaching them.

option 1: wait until i see them outside when i walk my friendly dog and spark a conversation (this could take months, years though)

option 2: hand write a nice letter about how i walk through the neighborhood with my wife and dog and admire the vehicle and would enjoy learning more about it? (see if they are even willing to respond) perhaps i could include that im looking to buy something similar and if they have any tips or know where to acquire one? (obviously i know there's craigslist and forums. )

option 3: hand write a letter as above but ask if it needs some work on it that i could help out to see it running instead of sitting, collecting rust? (I have intermediate skills with vw's, bmw etc. so i could inspect it but mainly to just get them to entertain the offer would be great)

let me know what you guys think, id greatly appreciate it.
iim65ed.jpg

Best bet is to talk to them face to face. Hopefully you'll "hit it off" and you can hand them your card and phone number. If you leave a note they may not call you, then you'll stew forever and wonder wonder why. You'll have conversations with yourself for weeks...was it cause they don't want to sell or are they hesitant that some weirdo left the note? Then when your build the nerve to knock and ask if they got your note, you'll be even more nervous.

BTW. When you speak to them, call it an FJ40 or 40 series.

Looks like the tub & bib are an earlier vintage than the windshield and front turn signal.

Seriously take option 4 :

From now on look the other way when you walk your friendly dog, don't get into a terrible FJ40 addiction, your life and wallet will never be the same !

:cheers:

If they are willing to sell, be sure to crack open the transmission fill plug. If it's been sitting uncovered for years you may get a gush of water/oil mix from the fill hole. Not a deal breaker, a negotiating tool (that's a $1500 deduction in my book);)

Wow, i really appreciate the advice. FJ4043 said it best
"If you dig it do it, if you dig it a lot do it many times" I'll try to talk to them face to face. In the meantime ill save more money. I've looked around in the bay area and it looks like this series sell for 6-8k$ range and all the way up to big bucks.

If's its not running, what would be a starting offer? what if it's running pretty well, but a ton of rust?

cheers and beers!

There are too many variables to consider. You have to look at the whole picture and then make a call. IE. How original is it? What "upgrades" have been done? Everything goes into the price/value. I see it doesn't have a hardtop, thats a huge hit.

Knock on the door say hey is that your cruiser out front? Then ask if he would like to show you it etc. Start up a normal convo. Then close to the end throw thee old " Would you ever consider selling it?" Dont just flat out ask. Ease your way into it.

You don't seem to be the best options guru :p just park a van across the street and sleep in it until you see the owner :rimshot:
Hire a drone and circle around until you see the owner :meh:

Call a swat team and tell them the owner owns a meth lab? (maybe I am biassed by breaking bad?)
Get electric barb wire around that property, some smoke bombs and just wait for them to come out.
Slam into it with your car and then have contact via insurance?
Hit your dog with a baseball and tell the owner his 40 run over the dog?
Anyway most of these rust collectors are pretty strange and never sell because one day they will ... :worms:

I drove past my 40 for about 10 years just about every weekend. It was parked under an overhang with flat tires next to the highway. I always thought about stopping by and leaving a note or talking to the owner. However, I figured a hundred other people had seen it before me and it wasnt for sale. One day, the house was sold and the 40 was gone. About a year or so later, I see it parked about 15 miles away off the side of the highway with a for sale sign. I bought it. Owner said tons of people left notes on it over the years. He just wasnt ready to sell. Right place at the right time helps.

I would stop by and just ask about the 40. Show interest and feel him out. Some people are very good at reading people, see where the conversation goes.

From the two pictures that cruiser appears to br a "Potpourri" of parts. Potpourri is fine if you don't overpay for it. No way it's worth $6K in my book. The rear fenders look cut which detracts from value IMO. It appears to have Saginaw power steering added, that's a decent upgrade if done right.

If you really want a Landcruiser........go knock on the door with cash in your pocket.Check it out and offer what it's worth to you.
I found my truck sitting in a parking lot with a for sale sign on it...........I went to the bank,withdrew cash........went back to the truck.......gave it a thorough going over.........located the owner...........told him he was out of his mind for what he was asking :eek:............pulled out cash and put it on his workbench...........told him to write up a bill of sale........he agreed.........I called a flat bed and was the new owner of a 1971 fj40................for $4500.00 less then the asking price.
Some people think they have a diamond.............most times it's only a rock.Buy low.........leaves more money to sink into improvements :grinpimp:

If you really want a Landcruiser........go knock on the door with cash in your pocket.Check it out and offer what it's worth to you.
I found my truck sitting in a parking lot with a for sale sign on it...........I went to the bank,withdrew cash........went back to the truck.......gave it a thorough going over.........located the owner...........told him he was out of his mind for what he was asking :eek:............pulled out cash and put it on his workbench...........told him to write up a bill of sale........he agreed.........I called a flat bed and was the new owner of a 1971 fj40................for $4500.00 less then the asking price.
Some people think they have a diamond.............most times it's only a rock.Buy low.........leaves more money to sink into improvements :grinpimp:

What he said....Cash on hand most of the time throws them off guard.

"Buy low.........leaves more money to sink into improvements" :grinpimp:

Absolutely right..... you will sink deeper, and deeper, and.....but Hey, the more the merrier!

It does look like pieces from a few different years like a poster above mentioned. The aprons are from an earlier 40 and front bib, early 70s had thicker gauge metal in some areas I believe or the steel was treated differently so it lasted longer. Could be a good thing. Instead of repairing with bondo they found replacement parts.
Im not an expert but can anyone date the front axle by the outside of the hubs?
The front end metal looks good from my poor eyesite on the cell phone pics. Some places they all rust are the back of the tub/bed area rear seal. Under the passenger door rockers. The windshield area, Drivers floor, front fenders

You are in California correct?
You may have rules that keep it from being registered unless you have the proper smog equipment which can cost many dollhair bills. I think I read its 75 and older is exempt. That is something to keep in mind as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom