Making a VDJ79 permanent 4WD (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm busy at work, dreaming up more things I might want to do to my 79 that I don't really need, such as converting to permanent 4WD. It's a 5 speed manual with the H150 gearbox, soon to be H152.

Has anyone done this already? Is it a simple case of swapping the transfer box out for one with a centre diff? If so what one?

Or is it possible to fit a diff in the existing transfer case?

Has anyone done this already?

The 80 series owners dream of getting rid of the full time. As the components wear out, they become a pain to drive. Ive driven full time 80 series, its nothing great. Your vehicle, but I really cant see why you would want to do it.

The 80 series owners dream of getting rid of the full time. As the components wear out, they become a pain to drive. Ive driven full time 80 series, its nothing great. Your vehicle, but I really cant see why you would want to do it.
Thanks, I'm not really sure I would do it, just exploring the options. I guess the only reason you would want to do it is to have better traction on surfaces that still have too much grip to use the 4wd as there is no centre diff to stop the system trying to bind?

Hello,

x2.

It essentially involves changing the transfer case for one with a locking/unlocking center differential, probably from an 80 or 100 Series.

It is possible but not practical, considering the time and resources involved.

One user in Australia tried to do it, but that thread has been silent for a while now.

A much better option is driving with your front hubs locked whenever you expect slippery surfaces. You can shift to H4 on the fly and get more traction. Fuel mileage decreases a bit, though. Winter driving comes to mind as a practical application.

Juan

Hello,

x2.

It essentially involves changing the transfer case for one with a locking/unlocking center differential, probably from an 80 or 100 Series.

It is possible but not practical, considering the time and resources involved.

One user in Australia tried to do it, but that thread has been silent for a while now.

A much better option is driving with your front hubs locked whenever you expect slippery surfaces. You can shift to H4 on the fly and get more traction. Fuel mileage decreases a bit, though. Winter driving comes to mind as a practical application.

Juan
Hi Juan

Yes you are probably correct that it's not practical considering the resources involved. I'm guessing one of those transfer cases will be expensive, even second hand.

I drive in the snow a lot and do exactly what Juan describes for keeping the hubs locked when you need to get in to H4 fast.

Thanks, I'm not really sure I would do it, just exploring the options. I guess the only reason you would want to do it is to have better traction on surfaces that still have too much grip to use the 4wd as there is no centre diff to stop the system trying to bind?
I would drive a full time AWD 80 and see what you think. Roscoe is a wealth of info, but I disagree with him here. I’ve got my 80, and I drove it rear wheel drive only for a time. Hated it. AWD is how an 80 ought to be. Not sure on a 79, but it would be worth giving it a shot.

Roscoe is a wealth of info, but I disagree with him here.

I havent owned an 80, but this what many of the 80 series owners say. And this is why companies make part time conversion kits. Im not doubting the f/t 4wd is ok when in good condition, but when the drive train parts begin to wear they become clunky and it just gets easier to make them p/t.

If I could lay my hands on a suitable transfer I'd have a go and satisfy the curiosity, lets see what becomes available.

If I could lay my hands on a suitable transfer I'd have a go and satisfy the curiosity, lets see what becomes available.
Drive it around in 4WD high range for a bit and see if you like it. It will be exactly the same as a full time 4wd. You will wear out components in the front axle way faster, use more fuel and have stiffer steering. I have both a f/t 80 and a p/t 79 and both are good like they are imo

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom