Makeshift rooftop tents. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Pskhaat

Tourer
Supporting Vendor
Threads
Website
alamosa.mobi
Quite simply the rooftop tent prices are outrageous, I know they're cool and they obviously can command those prices, but it's just WAY too out there. I might as well stay in hotels for those prices.

SO: has anyone devised a fold-out roof platform on which I could tie down/pitch my own tent

I've just been throwing my tent out on the ground in the traditional manner and have yet to be eaten by the wild beasts that roam in the night. :D

One of those one-man biker tents would probably fit on a regular full sized roof rack.
29032.jpg

Floor dimensions - 82 x 32 inches

Thought about that. See my half-baked idea in post #5 here . Also, check e-bay for this one.

While these seem way cool, I'll probably head the tent-trailer route, since my family (2 kids, wife) want to tag along now that I have an 80, and the days where I'd want to camp where I can't pull the tent trailer are limited. My trips will most likely be drive, set up base camp, wheel all day, and the family would be MUCH happier in a tent trailer than the roof top one. Besides, when you buy a top of the line roof-top, plus a good rack, you're half way there, price-wise. OK - maybe not, but close :)

One other question, how sturdy are these on the overhang? I'm a big guy (6'4", 250) and I'd worry about only a ladder supporting one end of the platform on the overhang.

A small CLip-Flashlite Fits on my full length FJ 62 rack. I used a piece of ply wood for the base. I think I might get some aluminum for a more durable floor.

I've got NO issues about sleeping the old-fashioned way, but the wife DEMANDS that if I take the kids out they sleep up. Normally not a problem to spend some $ on the cruiser but man this is $$$

re_guderian said:
Thought about that. See my half-baked idea in post #5 here . Also, check e-bay for this one.

That is exactly what I was thinking prior the the "JMoose", fold out one one side and put legs off a slide in truck camper. The ATV ramps is just the icing on the cake. I'm gonna throw some ideas around in my head about this one

Cheers
Geoff

3FJ40:

I grant that rooftop tents are more expensive than a lot of other options. They are WAY less money than a tent railer, and are always there when you need them. Please bear in mind that putting a 'regular' tent on your roof may entail some problems - wind (they can act like a sail), setting up (climbing around the top of your vehicle in the dark is dangerous while trying to accomplish set up), not to mention the time it takes to set up a makeshift roof tent.

That said, you should contact me, as we sometimes have used or end of inventory tents for sale at reduced prices.

Mike S

PS: Our tents are warranted for 5 years, and they commonly last for 15 years or more, can be moved from vehicle to vehicle, and have earned very high marks for customer satisfaction.

Building on re_guardian's and dieselROCKS' ideas. You could add legs from the outer corners of the fold-out portions that go down to sliders at the rocker panels, similar to the way a pop-up camper's slide-out beds are supported.

Just more fuel to the fire.

Ary

I would think the `fold' or hinges should be in the front and could fold forward over the hood so that I could make braces coming up from the front bumper/ARB.

Actually, I tried calling you a few days ago, but I can't remember what time and I'm sure it was beyond business hours. Please know I question neither the quality nor the convenience of these products, just rather what the wife would allow and wallet can afford; and I do know that often you do get what you pay for.

I'll give you a ring later this afternoon.

I made an aluminum roof rack to fit a black diamond lighthouse or bibler ahwahnee tent. These tents have the right foot print, side entry, and are single wall--no fly to put up. More on the rack here . The ATV rack idea has got me rethinking my rack, though.

Scott, if I am on the other line, or off fooling with tents, just leave a message and number and I will get right back to you.

Mike S

I put a utility rack on my utility trailer, threw a 4x8" plywood sheet on there, and have a little tent that fits just right that I can use up there. I can sleep on top with all the stuff still inside underneath.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom