Make a fridge slide from file cabinet (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

e9999

Gotta get outta here...
Threads
So I see just about everyday somebody giving away one of those old style metal file cabinets on Craigslist. These can be quite sturdy for the better ones, with slides strong enough to support quite a load, I would think.
I suppose the vertical ones may be typically narrower than our usual fridges, pity, but I've been intrigued by the notion of converting one into a fridge sliding contraption. Like maybe chopping off the top, keeping the lower slide, possibly relocating it, and putting a flat platform on it to tie down the fridge to. Maybe use 2 side to side?
Anybody tried that?
Worth looking into it? Or just use the slides if good, and do your own DIY base?
Thoughts?

Last edited:
Full extension drawer slides are so cheap I don’t see any advantages to hacking up a file cabinet. Most metal file cabinet I’ve seen uses cheap drawer roller slides which aren’t worth saving. I also doubt they are long enough to handle most of the 12V fridges.

I made a DIY fridge slide out of scrap metal and 24” full extension slides. They’re rated at 100 lbs. and cost about $20/pair. They’ve been working great for a 45qt fridge because fully loaded it’s never exceeded the weight limit. I am on my second set of slides only because the dirt and dust from the desert camping eventually gets into the ball bearings and it’s easier to just replace the slides than to try and clean them.

Last edited:
That is a good point. It may well be that it makes more sense to use them pretty much as is, for storing purposes, say, than to modify them to do something they are not intended to do in the first place. The size and shape may be an issue, though.
And it is true that if it would take as much or more work to modify one to become a fridge slide platform, then making a base from scratch makes more sense, aside from the free cabinet slides and sheet metal (which is great, btw).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom