maintenance vs. mods....tough call sometimes (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I guess this may get moved to chat. I made a call to the great Cdan yesterday to order up parts for some PM on the rear axle. Also got a few other parts for service. It was tough....not that Cdan is hard to deal with but i really wanted some new goodies for the cruiser. I guess the practical side of me steered me to the line of thinking that it is more important to keep the cruiser moving than snorkles or skidplates or winches ect.... What a tough call :eek:

What i wanted was either a snorkle, slee skid plate for Tcase, slee skid for ac dryer, or a winch. But i didn't get any of that. All new parts for the rear axle including rotors, new vapor barrier for passenger door (last one in the US :flipoff2: ) pcv grommet and hose to add to some other parts i had gotten earlier. THe pile is adding up and it's time to wrench.

Anyone else have such a hard time pulling the trigger on maint. items instead of mod goodies? It kills me, but i'm glad i did it.

Nope, Just installed Supercharger, African Drawer Systems, Engel Fridge blah blah blah.

Now I have to decide if I want to regear and go to 315's or stick with the 285's. There probably isn't any wheeling I do were the 35's would actually help. I can add the corey spacers and switch to 864's in the rear to get a little more lift, so clearance isn't in the equation.
I guess it comes down to the fact that 35's look cooler, but is that worth the hassle of re-gearing. My truck runs awesome with the SC and I am real happy with it. Christo told me yesterday that if I regeared and went to 35's I could be disappointed

(I added some tech so those A-hole mods don't move it)

Romer said:
Nope, Just installed Supercharger, African Drawer Systems, Engel Fridge blah blah blah.

Now I have to decide if I want to regear and go to 315's or stick with the 285's. There probably isn't any wheeling I do were the 35's would actually help. I can add the corey spacers and switch to 864's in the rear to get a little more lift, so clearance isn't in the equation.
I guess it comes down to the fact that 35's look cooler, but is that worth the hassle of re-gearing. My truck runs awesome with the SC and I am real happy with it. Christo told me yesterday that if I regeared and went to 35's I could be disappointed

(I added some tech so those A-hole mods don't move it)

Some more tech Ken. I just put on my 315's 2 weeks ago but haven't gotten the 4.88's in yet. The rig is a DOG. I don't have an SC like you and damn, getting that tub off the line is hard to do. Can't wait to get the gears and front locker in, couple more weeks I hope.

I know what you mean Concrete, its hard to decide what you want or need more.

Speaking of gears, how much difference will it make running 315's on stock gears and then 4.88s?

Also, what kind of prices are there on getting 4.88s?

Wow, my 93 must be TURD SLOW!!!! ;p

Even with the Trxus I don't find mine *that* bad...Maybe I perceive much differenty. That said 4.88's would make a big difference.

okefenokeefzj80 said:
Speaking of gears, how much difference will it make running 315's on stock gears and then 4.88s?

Also, what kind of prices are there on getting 4.88s?

Gears, you are looking around 200ish a set, deals can be found but I'd stay with PG or Yukon.

So $400.00 there, and the install kits are around 150ish, or if you go OEM they are $200.

and you will NEED to get the rear carrier bearings from Toyota, Cdan around 50 or 70 IIRC,

So figure 650.00, you will get some pep/seat of the pants feeling back for sure. If you are driving big heavy M/T's it will prolly be less...but ANY will be an improvement.

you guys suck!!! hijacking my great thread and flushing it right downt he tubes....next thing we know someone will be calling me CJ :)

I'm on 35's with stock gearing. It leaves something to be desired, but it's not catastrophic. Whiners. ;p

Back on subject- I love mods, but I have a really hard time justifying them when something needs to be fixed.

-Spike (not MODERATORS, MODIFICATIONS. Sheesh.)

What are you talking about CJ? You asked a question and I answered it.

concretejungle said:
I guess this may get moved to chat. I made a call to the great Cdan yesterday to order up parts for some PM on the rear axle. Also got a few other parts for service. It was tough....not that Cdan is hard to deal with but i really wanted some new goodies for the cruiser. I guess the practical side of me steered me to the line of thinking that it is more important to keep the cruiser moving than snorkles or skidplates or winches ect.... What a tough call :eek:

What i wanted was either a snorkle, slee skid plate for Tcase, slee skid for ac dryer, or a winch. But i didn't get any of that. All new parts for the rear axle including rotors, new vapor barrier for passenger door (last one in the US :flipoff2: ) pcv grommet and hose to add to some other parts i had gotten earlier. THe pile is adding up and it's time to wrench.

Anyone else have such a hard time pulling the trigger on maint. items instead of mod goodies? It kills me, but i'm glad i did it.

Mod are useless if your rig doesn't run right or doesn't run at all. No brainer for me. PM parts 1st, then mods later.

just jokin' fellers! :)

Man did i want to buy a winch or a snorkle.....but considering the rear axle has 183,000 miles with zero maint. i figured i needed to touch it first along with a few other items i haven't touched yet.

not at all. Still need: 6 inch lift, 35's, turbo, lockers front and rear, skid plate, winch, snorkle, rear bumper....then i'll be fine. :)

I know what your saying about the mods vs. maintenance. I wish I had ARB lockers and sliders, but if I did, then I'd still have a blown headgasket and no front brakes.

Typical. You ask about maintenance and everyone tells you about cool mods. I have over 20 years in the car biz and have seen plenty of cars with custom paint and sludge in the oil pan. Maintenance is always first. There is an old saying,"Ignore your car and it will go away." The coolest truck gets real ugly when the engine blows up!
Your grandparents were right when they said that "Time is money." The line refers to your regular paycheck. Take proper care of what you have so that you can count on it when you need it. Money for mods will come in time if you budget for it. But poor maintenance will destroy your budget!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom