Maintaining suppleness - old coolant pipes (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
This is a 'passing the time' kinda post. I've been looking at the coolant pipes on my 2 40s (not restored but needing it) and wonder is there an ideal type of oil I can just brush/spray on there to keep them supple. Is Linseed Oil the trick here?

I sprayed diesel on them and the clips about a month back but thats just dried right up and doesnt look like it was a good idea at all now. I have no leaks nor problems, I just want things to stay young and supple like my bones (used to be)!!!

if you have ANY doubt about their condition, dump them for new.
coolant hoses fail from the inside out. if they are too soft it's time to go. getting new ones also has the effect of making the hoses look new and shiny. i don't think i would put anything on them to try and make them any softer, doing *could* break the rubber down.

nothing beats a coolant hose failure while motoring down the road, miles from home......not that i would know.....

oil swells none-oil resistant hose. (radiator/heater hose).

5/8" fuel hose makes great heater hose. (higher quality than standard heater hose- oil has no effect on it.)

balls!

to be honest and to be fair to Toyota (a corporate entity for which I have an unexplainable affinity for) the hoses are actually great for the age of the vehicle and thats why I want to preserve them, you see my 40's are not goin on the public highway anyday soon but.......they willl.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom