Mainlander's Roof Rack - Plans and Pictures Included (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've gotten a fare number of pm's requesting plans for my roof rack design.

I've decided to just post everything you'll need here on mud.

Edit: Ok, you can click on this link and download the file.

Download PDF here

And here are some added details that might be missing on the plans.

The tube is 3/4" OD x 1/16" wall. There may be some details missing on the drawing but with the pictures everything will come together.

I used plasti dip on the bottom of the side tab that rest in the rain gutter. I let the plasti dip cure for a 24 hours and that gives a soft material to cover the steel so it doesn't scratch into the truck and cause rust.

SS bolts would be nice also but they are of course more $$$

Once your done, you'll want to paint it with tremclad or some type of rust proof paint.

When you are mounting the rack, the plans say that the two middle mounting slats (or arms) need some bending out to suit the curve in the rain gutters. Also when I first built the rack I had to shorten the two middle mounting slats by about 3/8" to make it fit, BUT when I got my new truck and mounted the rack I had to suck the middle two arms down.

So, you may have some minor adjusting to make to the mounting slats but if you've managed to build the rack this shouldn't be an issue.

And here are the pictures, just save these to your computer as well. With the plan and the pictures you should have no problems. You can always ask questions and there may be some folks who come up with some other ideas which are better than mine.

Just wanted to give back to mud in some way. I've gotten some great help here so this is the start of my "pay it forward"

:cheers:

Molly017.jpg

Molly013.jpg

Molly015.jpg

Molly016.jpg

Last edited:
yes, I agree. the password protection won't let us in. if you wanted to e-mail it to me I could upload it as a file on my website. otherwise you'll have to either give the password or figure out how to make it unprotected.

urbanmtb@yahoo.com

Sorry Guys, I'm not really very good when it comes to website stuff. I leave that to the experts (certainly not me)

OK, I emailed the file to urbanmtb and also used a free online file share site. So the file can be accessed in the first post.

Thanks

Last edited:
Karma to you. Thanks, bro.
Where did you source the plastic roof rib strips? I imagine they are somewhat universal, but ??

roof rack

Well since I said I would, here's the file up on my website. just in case any sort of problem comes up with the file sharing or if people want to just download it directly.

http://www.ususigmanu.com/urbanmtb/roof_rack_11x17.pdf

and once again, thanks a ton mainlander. this'll be a great help. after I fix other stuff that really needs it I should be all over making one of these racks. :cheers:

Wile E........... they are stock on rig's with a stock roof rack I think. You can probably get them from SOR though.

You shouldn't need them with the roof rack. I changed the original plans to allow for more clearence between the underside of the roof rack and the top of the truck, but just 1/2-3/4"

Last edited:
Wow, that's one heck of a rack! That thing looks heck-a-sturdy. Thanks for the post. I'm going to try and convince (a case of beer) a friend to let me use his welding equipment and maybe it will turn out as nice as yours. :beer:

Hey everyone I'm new to this forum, and I joined because I used mainlander's plans to do my own roofrack build. It is essentially the same plans I just used square tubing instead.

image-1275338354.jpg

Here is the only picture I have right now. Sorry it's not that good but I am picking it up from powder coating next week and will post better pics then! Thank you so much for the plans! Very helpful and it turned out great!

image-1275338354.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom