Main fusible link current draw? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

LazarusTaxa

SILVER Star
Threads
Does anyone have an idea of the total current draw through the main fusible link on an FJ60? I.e. the one connected directly to the battery terminal.

I'm adding a fuse block directly after the battery to power a radio and any other aux items that might come down the line. Instead of having three ring terminals on the battery terminal, I might want to simplify it and have the main fusible link connect to the fuse block with an appropriately sized fuse. The wire is only ~10 AWG, which seems tiny for running a car. But then again, it isn't a modern car with electric everything.

Also, anyone know the current draw of the starter? Having an unfused 4 AWG wire connected directly to the battery is a bad idea so I think I'm gonna add a terminal fuse there.

The outside of the fusible links may look like 10 AWG, but in reality the insulation is very large compared to the wire. The wires inside the fusible link are probably 4x smaller than the circuits they supply (for a reason). The FSM shows red one as .85 and I believe this to be metric size. like mm squared. A quick internet search shows conversion charts. .85 is close to 18g AWG. and this also shows a rating of 7A. The green wires are .5 and this is about the equivalent of 20g AWG. and a rating of about 5A. I assume these ratings are based on engine temps and are continuous sustained amps and not surge. So the question maybe you should be asking is what is the surge rating of these fusible links, and I'm guessing that depends on variables like how long is the surge, temperatures in the engine compartment etc.
This seems like something you need to get right. Too high a fuse and your going to jeopardize your circuit. Too low and you'll be blowing fuses.

Here is one site showing a conversion chart and amp ratings: MM to AWG – Wire Size Conversion Chart, Table, & Calculator [PDF] – 1XTech | Because You Require Quality, Quickly! (1xtechnologies.com)

Last edited:
Sorry for any confusion.. I'm not trying to replace the link itself, just add a fuse in front of it. Basically, I'm using this fuse block as a distribution block to tidy things up. So, I need a fuse in front and want to be sure I'm sizing it right.

PXL_20210114_213816772.MP (1).jpg

My vote is to leave the FL alone and connect your fuse block to the battery separately.
The purpose of the FL is to protect the wiring harness. Since you're not tapping in to the wiring harness, the fuse block will provide its own safety.

Just run a heavy gauge wire from the positive on the battery to that busbar...mounted on the passenger side inner fender or top fender well. Then run radio, amp etc to it. But leave the fusible links at the battery.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom