Magruder Corridor Trail Labor Day Trip (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey everybody,
Time to gear up for one last big weekend before summer has officially left us in the rearview!
The Magruder Corridor Road is a 100 miles of unimproved road in some of the most remote wilderness the states have to offer. The trail connects Darby, MT and Elk City, ID. You can find more info HERE. And here Magruder Corridor Trail.pdf

The plan was to take two days and two nights to be able to explore and take our time. The drive from Bozeman to Darby is about 4 hours depending if you go through Missoula (270 miles) or Google says going through Wisdom (221 miles) is quicker. Elk City back to Bozeman is about 8 hours (417 miles).
So obviously there is some decent travel to and from this trail. I wanted to get some feedback from everybody that's planning to go on travel plans. I seems there are two options, leave Friday night to get to the Darby area or head out early Saturday morning and meet up at the West Fork Ranger Station.
Then we camp Saturday and Sunday nights and Monday is basically a driving day to get home.

So please post up if you're planning to come along and if you're thinking Friday or Saturday departure.

UPDATED 8/30:
Saturday meeting point - West Fork Rangers Station 9am
HAM channel 146.460
Hamilton repeater 146.72-
Current participants

Friday Departure:
@nohermosa
@thetoyotaman (tentatively)
@Chickadee
@RoverChris
@08BrickFJC

Saturday Convoy:

@adventurefamly (tentatively)

Attachments

• Magruder Corridor Trail.pdf
    2.7 MB · Views: 552
Last edited:
Some of you might look into taking skalkaho pass on the way there it cuts across the sapphire mt range from philipsburg, mt to Hamilton, mt. You'd bypass Missoula completely. Not too much of a jaunt since it puts you pretty close to where magruder starts Darby's just a few miles past Hamilton. Skalkaho falls makes it worth while. Wish I could make it on this trip since you guys are going to be in my neck of the woods but it's opening weekend for upland game bird and I can't miss that.

Skalkaho has lots of great campsites,definitely the way we go. That said, I can't go. A friend of Sam's is getting married, and yes I asked her to change the date and no she wouldn't.

Some of you might look into taking skalkaho pass on the way there it cuts across the sapphire mt range from philipsburg, mt to Hamilton, mt. You'd bypass Missoula completely. Not too much of a jaunt since it puts you pretty close to where magruder starts Darby's just a few miles past Hamilton. Skalkaho falls makes it worth while. Wish I could make it on this trip since you guys are going to be in my neck of the woods but it's opening weekend for upland game bird and I can't miss that.

Thanks for the input!! That sounds like a great option.

Skalkaho has lots of great campsites,definitely the way we go. That said, I can't go. A friend of Sam's is getting married, and yes I asked her to change the date and no she wouldn't.

Well, at least you asked....brave man!

I'm going to stay tuned to this thread, I'm in the Bitterroot valley and might drop in on this trip.

:popcorn:

I’ll know later this week and would be interested in caravaning with you Mike. Once again storage will be my issue.

What time are you planning to depart from the West Fork station?

That is still TBD. It will depend if we have anyone catching up on Saturday morning. As of right now everyone is heading out Friday so we can get going on the earlier side.

That is still TBD. It will depend if we have anyone catching up on Saturday morning. As of right now everyone is heading out Friday so we can get going on the earlier side.

Sounds good, I might drop in for a day of driving, camping will be out for me. It is all still TBD.

Lax,
We only have Ham radio. Mobile and multiple handhelds. Will we be ok with this? Or does anyone have a handheld CB we can borrow?
LeeWhay

HAM is the way to go, I know LAX has one. Not sure about the others. I would imagine the principle is communication, I only added a CB since most folks still run one. As the club gains more and more HAM operators... things are going to get WAY better in terms of trail coms.

I'm tentatively in. It will depend on work schedule. I will know tomorrow. If I go I will be leaving Saturday morning. My departure time from Bozeman will depend on what time the Friday nighters want to get going Saturday morning.

Lax,
We only have Ham radio. Mobile and multiple handhelds. Will we be ok with this? Or does anyone have a handheld CB we can borrow?
LeeWhay

Hey LeeWhay,
That'll be fine. Almost all the group for this ride has HAM and there's a few handhelds we'll get to those without.
Thanks for checking!

I'm tentatively in. It will depend on work schedule. I will know tomorrow. If I go I will be leaving Saturday morning. My departure time from Bozeman will depend on what time the Friday nighters want to get going Saturday morning.

Sounds good, let us know when you know!

Any idea on a departure time Friday? If it's after 4pm, I can do it . If not then it'd have to be a Saturday departure. I'm on CB and HAM (just not licensed yet).

Sounds like Mike and Darren are heading out early afternoon Friday. I won't know my plans till tonight and we'll find out if Bryan is doing the Saturday departure.
We'll nail down plans tonight.

I’m not going to be able to make it. It looks like I am going to have to work and I experienced an eye injury this am. Have a great time!

I’m not going to be able to make it. It looks like I am going to have to work and I experienced an eye injury this am. Have a great time!
@thetoyotaman Bummer! Hope your eye is ok.

Lax,
LeeWhay
I am on ham or cb.

I am still trying to leave between 1 & 2 so I can hit the Skalkaho pass... but it will be a game time decision.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom