Magruder Corridor, Labor Day Weekend 2020 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
This coming weekend is the Magruder Corridor trip. The Magruder is the longest unimproved highway in the lower 48, just over 100 miles between Darby, MT and Elk City, ID. It separates the Selway-Bitterroot and Frank Church Wilderness. It’s about as middle of nowhere as you’re gonna get in the continental US.
The road/trail itself isn’t particularly challenging driving but there are 4 fire lookouts along the route that are a little more effort to get to. I consider this a bucket list run in Montana mostly due to the remote nature of the area and the amazing views from the fire lookouts. But be aware this is a long haul. The trip to or from Elk City, ID is a solid 7 hours and Darby is a good 3 or 3.5 hours. The Magruder itself took the better part of 2 days.

Here are threads from the last two years:

2019 Magruder trip
2018 Magruder trip

The recommended schedule would be to head out Friday evening and head west camping somewhere between Missoula and Elk City. Saturday continue to Elk City and begin the Magruder Corridor Road. Camp Saturday night along the trail. Sunday continue the Magruder towards Darby possibly completing the trail depending on pace. Sunday night camp along the trail or around Darby. Monday head for Bozeman. So that’s 3 nights out and no resupply on the Magruder so be prepared to be self sufficient with all supplies, and we don’t even want to talk about a mechanical out there so make sure your rig is in tip-top shape!

So who’s in?? This is definitely a trip where we need a list of folks going as communication is almost nonexistent for the majority of the miles!
Chime in here if your thinking about it or if you have any questions.

INTERESTED:

Nobody going this weekend? Fires don't seem to be that bad this year.

I think this is a 2021 Summer trip for me. On my mo'orsickle with a week to get to Elk City and back. Tick off Skalkaho and Chief Joseph Passes on the same ride.

Nobody going this weekend? Fires don't seem to be that bad this year.

I think this is a 2021 Summer trip for me. On my mo'orsickle with a week to get to Elk City and back. Tick off Skalkaho and Chief Joseph Passes on the same ride.

I’ll be out and about in the area on Sunday and Monday, maybe drive up to some fire towers. If no one else is going to drive it this year I might just drive around the Sapphires.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom