Magneto my first LC (Hdj81) (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Curtain rod fishing rack mod…

78CE02FA-63E1-4652-88CB-5AB268B14CA9.jpeg

Put in a few hundred kilometers on my stock truck since getting gauges installed (on 35 tires and without towing or AC). Numbers seems pretty healthy/safe.

pre turbo EGT max 1150f
boost upto 11psi
coolant temps upto 185f

Well I finally took it in for the major maintenance needed (Timing belt and BEBs).

Surprised to find some significant bearing failure. Will need an engine out rebuild. Probably won’t get to drive it for another 3-6 months.

Wondering if I bought it with issues or I could have prevented it 8kilometers ago when I got it.

Sigh

Well I finally took it in for the major maintenance needed (Timing belt and BEBs).

Surprised to find some significant bearing failure. Will need an engine out rebuild. Probably won’t get to drive it for another 3-6 months.

Wondering if I bought it with issues or I could have prevented it 8kilometers ago when I got it.

Sigh
Its not uncommon for the BEBs to look like total A**, they delaminate and wear in a way that would make you think the crank is toast, check that the crank is good and put new BEBs in, keep an eye on oil pressure and get a Blackstone oil report. This is all assuming the bearing failure is in the BEBs.

The mechanic told me there was metal in the oil pan. So I think we are planning for the worst but they don’t have availability to open it up fully to inspect and potentially rebuilding for a few months.

I would look into some info and pictures on how bad the BEBs actually get and still run fine (Chunks missing, Massive Linier scaring, heavy pitting. That metal has to go somewhere, its gonna end up in the pan.) If they are a shop that is unfamiliar with the 1HD, they don't have a F!@#$%g clue at how bad the BEBs can be with zero damage to other components. tearing one of these engines down and rebuilding properly at a shop is 10K+. if they have the pan off to tell you there is metal in it, they are 5 minutes from pulling the BEBs and then at least you know. its your money, spend it how you see fit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom