Magneto my first LC (Hdj81) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey all.

I bought a Hdj81. Should be here middle of next week. It’s my first LC, diesel and turbo (1hdt with 150,000 miles).

Any simple things (I’m a Neanderthal when it comes to cars) I should plan on doing ASAP to keep it running reliably?

1657994261691.jpeg

Thanks

Good looking rig!!!!! I love red, I think it's the 2nd best color after white. I also love the old school grill and wheels.

Get ready for the addiction and get used to opening your wallet.

First things to be done should be all new fluids, new u-joints, all new suspension bushings, ie control arms, trailing arms, pan hard bars etc. Also you will probably want to install new sway bar bushings.

Also plan on giving the shocks, steering stabilizer, and springs a good inspection. If they are worn out than plan on replacing those.

Check the battery, if it's not more than 4 years old and holds a good charge than make sure to clean the contacts well, make sure it is wired correctly, and strapped down proper.

Brakes!!!! This should probably be the first thing you do, go over the brakes with a fine tooth comb. Pay very close to the rubber brake lines, if you see leaks, cracks or bulges replace them. Honestly you should probably plan on replacing all the rubber parts on the truck that you can. Also check the pads, and the brake fluid.

Don't forget new belts. Also while your changing all the fluids make sure to include new coolant. I would drain the old coolant, fill it with di water and run it for a few days when the temps are not going to drop below freezing, than drain it again and re fill with a 60/40 mix or a 50/50 mix depending on your local climate.

Might as well do a new fan clutch, radiator cap, and thermostat while your in there.

While doing the belts and cooling system stuff inspect all the cooling hoses and cooling system. If the hoses are brittle, cracked, or leaking than replace them. If they look good and they are nice and supple than your probably good to keep them. If a bunch of crud comes out of the radiator or if the plastic on the radiator looks discolored than replace the radiator. Personally I would replace the entire cooling system if it were mine. Also check the fan blades, the fans rarely need to be replaced but they can become brittle. The fan blades should be able to flex without any issues.

Check the heater valve on the dash also, they are easy to replace and can fail in a manner that quickly drains your cooling system and leaves you stranded.

I am sure I am missing stuff but that list should be a great start for your baseline maintenance.

I bet some others will chime in with more suggestions and hopefully suggestions unique to the diesel engine.

Goodluck and welcome 🖕🖕🖕🖕

Nothing drive it then see what it needs @leonard_nemoy has too much money!!!! 😁
Check all the fluids that are easily checked. Brakes are easy and may not need to be touched but a good one. You could spend $3k just in parts plus lots of your time for no reason or $0 after you inspect and determine everything is Kosher. Lots of people love to spend your money on this site some knowledgeable some not. Welcome and once again :flipoff2::flipoff2:

Also there is a diesel tech section that might be better suited for your DIESEL!!! We have petrol on this side of the forum.

Nothing drive it then see what it needs @leonard_nemoy has too much money!!!! 😁
Check all the fluids that are easily checked. Brakes are easy and may not need to be touched but a good one. You could spend $3k just in parts plus lots of your time for no reason or $0 after you inspect and determine everything is Kosher. Lots of people love to spend your money on this site some knowledgeable some not. Welcome and once again :flipoff2::flipoff2:

I'm sorry but you don't just drive a 20 to 25 year old vehicle without at least making sure the brakes are in good shape, thats just dangerous.

Baselining the rig might be expensive, but not as expensive as blowing a head gasket because you jumped in a 20 year old vehicle and drove it down the interstate with a clogged radiator.

If the $$$$ to baseline an 80 series is an issue than he shouldn't have bought one.

But if the rig has good maintenance records than yeah, just drive it.

I'm sorry but you don't just drive a 20 to 25 year old vehicle without at least making sure the brakes are in good shape, thats just dangerous.

Baselining the rig might be expensive, but not as expensive as blowing a head gasket because you jumped in a 20 year old vehicle and drove it down the interstate with a clogged radiator.

If the $$$$ to baseline an 80 series is an issue than he shouldn't have bought one.

But if the rig has good maintenance records than yeah, just drive it.
Hey I agree with brakes all day!!!! Was just poking fun your list is spot on I was just saying drive it and figure out what it needs!!

If those are the tires that are coming on it, check the manufacture date when you get the truck. That's the old style BFG, which hasn't been in production for many years. Might be past their expiration date.

If those are the tires that are coming on it, check the manufacture date when you get the truck. That's the old style BFG, which hasn't been in production for many years. Might be past their expiration date.
Good eyes.

The importer has already baselined suspension and brake lines.

Will check out tires.

View attachment 3060807

Nice!!!! thats definitely a plus. But I will still recommend checking to make sure all the work on that list was actually done. I am sure it was but better safe than sorry.

Your 80 is gorgeous, I love the red color! Any idea what sizes tires and lift you have? Your stance in the first photo looks great.

Fuel and air filters done. 3D printed cup holders and weather tech mats in. Got a GPS speedometer.

Gauges ready to install. Legendex exhaust ordered. Will look at coolant system, timing belt and AC next.

Thanks all

Fuel and air filters done. 3D printed cup holders and weather tech mats in. Got a GPS speedometer.

Gauges ready to install. Legendex exhaust ordered. Will look at coolant system, timing belt and AC next.

Thanks all

Congrats on the HDJ81!

One note on the Legendex exhaust - it is extremely tight in its fitment; I've had to modify/remove a heat shield or two as a result. Otherwise, it's a great quality system.

I'd suggest replacing the three exhaust hanger mounts for the install.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom