Magnaflow y-pipe question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Got a question for those who’ve installed the Magnaflow 23120 y-pipe on their 80. I had one of these installed. After install the cat is quite a bit off-center of the factory heat shield. It’s real close to the rocker panel pinch weld. Also, it seems to hang lower than it should. I’ve attached some pics for reference. Anyone else had fitment issues with the Magnaflow 23120? How do your measurements compare to the ref pics I’ve attached? I’m trying to decide what next step is to get better clearance of the rest of my exhaust system. I’m thinking I’ll pull the y-pipe and try another Magnaflow from O’Reilly’s and see where that one falls. If it’s better, I’ll return the first one. Any advice / experience is appreciated. I h8 messing with exhaust. EDIT: my apologies for double-posting this. I didn’t think my first post went through. I’ve also attached the reference pics I mentioned above.

A7726339-563D-4FF9-9054-0B268D0B210B.png

61CB81D2-EF5F-4EF8-96D8-F0789782D2A3.png

F683E327-80F8-44C4-9EF2-F400ACB7486F.png

C06F72E4-A4F8-4778-BED1-BEB35F52F59B.png

Last edited:
I snapped this pic when she was on a lift before final welding. Not the best angle, but it appears to be closer to center than yours.

I snapped this pic when she was on a lift before final welding. Not the best angle, but it appears to be closer to center than yours.

Thanks much, Jon. Would it be possible to grab a side pic of your rig to see how low the cat is relative to the bottom of rocker, or is it buried by a slider?

Thanks much, Jon. Would it be possible to grab a side pic of your rig to see how low the cat is relative to the bottom of rocker, or is it buried by a slider?
It's covered with a skid plate that bolts to the inside of the sliders.

20180227_151101.jpg

I think you are missing the side heat shield that extends beyond the rocker. I think that makes yours look like it is hanging lower. I found a snap of mine - not sure it is of much help though.

1629740793083.jpeg

Got a question for those who’ve installed the Magnaflow 23120 y-pipe on their 80. I had one of these installed. After install the cat is quite a bit off-center of the factory heat shield. It’s real close to the rocker panel pinch weld. Also, it seems to hang lower than it should. I’ve attached some pics for reference. Anyone else had fitment issues with the Magnaflow 23120? How do your measurements compare to the ref pics I’ve attached? I’m trying to decide what next step is to get better clearance of the rest of my exhaust system. I’m thinking I’ll pull the y-pipe and try another Magnaflow from O’Reilly’s and see where that one falls. If it’s better, I’ll return the first one. Any advice / experience is appreciated. I h8 messing with exhaust. EDIT: my apologies for double-posting this. I didn’t think my first post went through. I’ve also attached the reference pics I mentioned above.

View attachment 2766236

View attachment 2766237

View attachment 2766238

View attachment 2766240

I agree on the extended black heat shield on the side. It makes it look lower than it is. There are/were some issues with quality control on the Magnaflow, but they're all the same size. When bolted to the manifold, there's no give. Also, is the pipe mounted to the bracket on the firewall? That might pull it over or up a little if it's not.

Borrowed from another thread.
7019FFCB-10E4-48B2-BE65-EFD4372FC1F2.png

Thanks, and I agree with your thought. The bracket was there, but last weekend I removed it. I might try reinstalling it and clamping pipe to it. I’m thinking there’s not enough give in that y-pipe to move it to bracket. The pipe was wedged against bracket after install (see pic of mine post install of Magnaflow). If the bracket with clamp fails, I’ll try another Magnaflow and return the poorly fitting one. My rig didn’t have the side heat shield, so I’m going to try to find one. It does indeed get hot down there.

CC5BA088-EA1C-4E15-B808-ADBFD992C581.png

It hangs down about the same as mine did before I cut it up and raised it. I routed it around the body mount instead of under it. Gained me about 2 inches of lift so I could place the sliders up higher.

Before:
Before raise.jpg

After:
after raise.jpg

In the after my heat shield is removed. I'll look in the shop and see if I still have it if you're in search of one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom