Magnaflow exhaust (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Box Rocket

SILVER Star
Threads
I replaced my exhaust yesterday. I had a leak at the Y-pipe and at the flanges for the cats. There were several broken hangers and both stock cats were bad and clogged up so it gave me plenty of reason to just redo the whole thing. I ended up using dual Magnaflow high-flow cats in the stock location but rotated and tucked up above the frame for better clearance. Also used a Magnaflow muffler and ditched the resonator at the tailpipe. All tubing is 2.5".

As for the routing it's more or less the same as stock but tucked up as best we could. This means it still passes under the frame behind the cats which isn't ideal but not something I'm worried about.

As for sound, it's louder than stock but not overly obnoxious. Definitely a more "throaty" tone through the entire range. It's very quiet at idle and while it's clearly audible at cruising speeds inside the truck it doesn't drone. Throttle response seems to be slightly better with my "seat-o-the-pants" analysis. Haven't had a chance to see if there is any mpg change yet.

Overall, pleased with the result and definitely a improvement of clearance at the cats which was my main complaint with the stock system.

Sorry for the crappy phone photos. Yes, I know I have a rear axle seal that's bad (fixing it tonight). Also you'll hear my starter clicking at the beginning of the video. It's also getting replaced (since I know someone will bring it up).

Magnaflow cats

Blurrly Magnaflow muffler

Much better clearance at the cats

Video for sound

Sounds good. Did you do the work yourself or an exhaust shop?

Looks like they do good work . I have yet to find anyone competent around here. Seems they only know how to bolt on only with no ability to modify or even bend a pipe.

Looks like they do good work . I have yet to find anyone competent around here. Seems they only know how to bolt on only with no ability to modify or even bend a pipe.
Yeah they do ok. They are a regular "go-to" place for offroaders as they are one of the few places that "get it" and try to actually do what you want. I've used them a few times and been pleased.

@Box Rocket I'm likely going to have to do this myself in the near term. Roughly how much did this set you back? Did you keep your old cats/muffler etc?

I've never had to replace exhaust before...

Id love to get some extra clearance like that... I keep putting off rotating the cats.

Well done! Nice install and dig the exhaust note.

@Box Rocket I'm likely going to have to do this myself in the near term. Roughly how much did this set you back? Did you keep your old cats/muffler etc?

I've never had to replace exhaust before...
The shop that did the work was very reasonably priced compared to quotes I got from other shops. For example I had a quote earlier this fall from a different shop to just rotate the cats (which would have required replacing the flanges) and they wanted $600. Way too high. Like I said earlier this shop has done a lot of work for local wheelers and understand what we like and do decent work too. My entire work order included repairing a leak at the Y-pipe, 2 new cats, new muffler, 1 new O2 bung, all new pipe from the Y-pipe back routed to my request, and all misc hangers etc. Out the door I was right around $700. I felt like that was a reasonable price.

I suppose I could have kept the old cats and turned them in for some cash but they were both shot so I didn't bother keeping them. Besides I didn't mind allowing the shop to recoup a little bit through the recycling of those parts. They try hard to meet the requests of offroaders and a little appreciation to keep them motivated to do that isn't a bad thing.

I already have the Magnaflow Y pipe with Cat and 2nd cat is eliminated, O2 sensors remain
I used Muffler #13226 (4x9 Oval) which was $67 open box on Amazon, free 2 day shipping with Prime.
http://www.magnaflow.com/automotive-performance/mufflers/xl-muffler/
XL Mufflers

Most guys are going with the round style Muffler #13745 (7" Diameter x 20"long) muffler to match OEM style which is 9"diameter x 24" Long with offset 2.5" Pipes.

Background:
If your going Aluminized Steel your Stoopid.
I had one rot out in literally 2 yrs (Walker)..... you just ran in a circle, while trying to get somewhere.

The Magnaflows are low grade stainless just like the OEM setup.
Properly installed they should last 10 yrs or more.
That's fine if it's a Jeep, but disrespectful of a Cruiser

I'm unsure what the Bosal is but likely Aluminized Steel, at the price.

I guess I'm "stoopid" and disrespectful of my cruiser :rolleyes:. I had this same shop do a similar work with essentially the same parts on my Tacoma and after 3+ years including winter driving it was still solid and looked almost new. I'm not worried about it rotting off.

Any reason you went with two cats instead of one large one? Didn't think Utah did a visual.

Any reason you went with two cats instead of one large one? Didn't think Utah did a visual.
Visual inspection was part of the reason, the other was not having one on hand that was a good fit in that spot. The two used keeps the "OEM" look and function for inspection and cost wasn't different enough to worry about and this setup fit best with how my sliders are built.

Update:
Had the 13226 installed and it it louder than the OEM Muffler with a hole in it.
Ordered up the 13745 for $96 Shipped Amazon Prime and will be having it installed soon.
Guess we will find out if Amazon will take back the 13226, it was a total waste of time and money.
Must be for a 4 Cylinder.

Update:
Had the 13226 installed and it it louder than the OEM Muffler with a hole in it.
Ordered up the 13745 for $96 Shipped Amazon Prime and will be having it installed soon.
Guess we will find out if Amazon will take back the 13226, it was a total waste of time and money.
Must be for a 4 Cylinder.

You might try checking with your local mufflers shops. I have had pretty good luck with my shop giving me good info on how loud/soft different muffler tones are. John

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom