"Magic Carpet Ride again" (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Finally got the time (and enough AHC fluid) to flush the old fluid and replace the accumulators this weekend. I bought some used accumulators (stickers on the accumulators indicated 1998) from another mud forum friend, upon inspection of my accumulators when removing, all but one were good. At least passed the pencil test. The front right globe was shot, the other three were same as the older globes i purchased (my LX has 2000 globes, the ones i bought seemed to be off of a 1998) So i left the other three original globes on the vehicle. swapped out the one that was shot, refilled and bled all the lines and MAN! what a difference,,,,,it rides almost as good as new (from what i can tell and in comparison to driving my sons 2002 LX).

Only thing though, im still only getting 6 graduations, i was previously only getting 4. So not sure if this is just a symptom of the globes being "marginal" or on the verge of going out, or something else. It is what it is for now, at least until i can acquire 4 new accumulators later on and doing the swap out again.

I cant imagine how anyone who has experienced a working AHC would want to rip it all out for just a regular suspension, but i guess its a combination of dealing with the hassle of maintaining the system and/or the cost to replace components, but i have both, LC and LX and hands down the LX ride is way nicer on medium setting. So for now i will enjoy the last little bit of life the old globes have in them and when the time comes I will know what to do and how to do it! Thanks to all the contributors on this forum on the "how to" for the fluid bleed and globe replacements!

@Rokketz, you probably already know this, but Impex Japan is a great source for accumulators (no affiliation, but I bought my globes from them).
Good info here:
and here:

Can some of the elders speak to this “magic carpet ride” everyone with ACH seems to be chasing?

I've 98% restored my magic carpet ride. It took redoing the AHC and all the bushings except for the shocks which is that last 2% of roughness at lower speeds. And when I say 2%, it would be fine for most vehicles.

It's hard to describe because there's nothing really like it. The first time I rode in a new LX I was blown away. It was immediately different from any other vehicle I'd been in. The closest thing I could compare it to would be riding on a gyroscope. You just... move. Nearly everything but height changes is absorbed by the system, but not in a floaty way -- it feels solid. Even the dips and bumps are absorbed much quicker than other vehicles. When I'm driving on the freeway I literally watch other vehicles bouncing while I'm barely registering the exact same changes.

You making me wish I could figure out my problem even more. Problem is now if I go to the dealer they'll tell me I have to much weight on the system or something. So can't even use them as a fall back.

If anyone knows a shop in the Midwest or east coast let me know haha.

Glad you got your magic carpet ride back!

Finally got the time (and enough AHC fluid) to flush the old fluid and replace the accumulators this weekend. I bought some used accumulators (stickers on the accumulators indicated 1998) from another mud forum friend, upon inspection of my accumulators when removing, all but one were good. At least passed the pencil test. The front right globe was shot, the other three were same as the older globes i purchased (my LX has 2000 globes, the ones i bought seemed to be off of a 1998) So i left the other three original globes on the vehicle. swapped out the one that was shot, refilled and bled all the lines and MAN! what a difference,,,,,it rides almost as good as new (from what i can tell and in comparison to driving my sons 2002 LX).

Only thing though, im still only getting 6 graduations, i was previously only getting 4. So not sure if this is just a symptom of the globes being "marginal" or on the verge of going out, or something else. It is what it is for now, at least until i can acquire 4 new accumulators later on and doing the swap out again.

I cant imagine how anyone who has experienced a working AHC would want to rip it all out for just a regular suspension, but i guess its a combination of dealing with the hassle of maintaining the system and/or the cost to replace components, but i have both, LC and LX and hands down the LX ride is way nicer on medium setting. So for now i will enjoy the last little bit of life the old globes have in them and when the time comes I will know what to do and how to do it! Thanks to all the contributors on this forum on the "how to" for the fluid bleed and globe replacements!

6 grads is still past "dead" so wait until you feel new globes (14 grads).

Most the people that removed AHC have not experienced it working. Most people do not check pressures, or gradations and do not flush fluid.

AHC is a case where a little knowledge and patience goes a long ways.

You can get better ride quality than AHC, you just have to buy an S-Class or one of its other flagship European competitors. :) The mix of off road ability, Toyota/Lexus reliability, and luxury smoothness makes AHC pretty incredible.

@Rokketz, you probably already know this, but Impex Japan is a great source for accumulators (no affiliation, but I bought my globes from them).
Good info here:
and here:
Thanks! Yes I have heard they are great replacements and a fraction of the cost so when it comes time that exactly where I was going to get them. Thank you though for the note.

It's hard to describe because there's nothing really like it. The first time I rode in a new LX I was blown away. It was immediately different from any other vehicle I'd been in. The closest thing I could compare it to would be riding on a gyroscope. You just... move. Nearly everything but height changes is absorbed by the system, but not in a floaty way -- it feels solid. Even the dips and bumps are absorbed much quicker than other vehicles. When I'm driving on the freeway I literally watch other vehicles bouncing while I'm barely registering the exact same changes.

I’m probably in the minority, (or maybe just an a$$hole) but I thought that the first generation Lexus LS was more impressive (on road), than the 100 series AHC.

Last edited:
@waynegro regarding the "magic carpet ride"... It's probably a matter of perspective. When AHC is not working properly, it's bad, and when it IS working properly, it is a massive improvement over when its not working.

Also, I have a 2000 Land Cruiser and a 2004 LX470 with AHC (fresh accumulators, fluid, etc.), and the LX rides so much better than the Land Cruiser. This might be because my Land Cruiser springs are tired and my shock absorbers need replacing. Again, perspective.

To each their own - there are definitely pros and cons to AHC.

It's interesting that the better aftermarket shocks today include a fluid reservoir (and if it's really nice you get to rebuild it every couple years), something the AHC system comes with circa 1998. The fact that you can find a neglected system that still holds fluid today is pretty remarkable. If something happens I'll keep the AHC as long as parts are available. I almost feel like I owe it to the car. Since it's in good condition I'm not going to be the one to remove it.

Good info here:
and here:
TOTAL FRAUD. This company takes orders, then adds further charges and will not release product unless you pay. Even if you cancel order, they keep money as credit. Only way to get a refund is paypal, and even then, they only issue part refund. TOTAL SCAM. Avoid at all cost. Not even a Japanese company, Russian !!! TRY AMAYAMA, PARTSOUQ OR JP AUTOPARTS, all legitimate auto parts suppliers out of Japan.

TOTAL FRAUD. This company takes orders, then adds further charges and will not release product unless you pay. Even if you cancel order, they keep money as credit. Only way to get a refund is paypal, and even then, they only issue part refund. TOTAL SCAM. Avoid at all cost. Not even a Japanese company, Russian !!! TRY AMAYAMA, PARTSOUQ OR JP AUTOPARTS, all legitimate auto parts suppliers out of Japan.
I disagree, I got gloves and fluid last year. The difference they charge is for shipping. You try to guesstimate shipping through weight and dimension. I was pretty close, I think I have a $17 credit.

Disagree. I just got $600 worth of parts from them and everything was smooth sailing. As yngmrostrvile said, the "further charges" are shipping once they get all the parts together -- which they also note from beginning to end. Gotta read all the words, man.

You must be new here. The interface is clunky, but Impex is not a scam. The additional shipping correction is not a scam and they're very upfront about it. They typically update shipping charges AFTER THE PURCHASE and require additional funds to cover shipping. And it's like $3 for most people. Pay the corrected shipping calculation and move on with your directly sourced, inexpensive genuine parts.

Or blow up the deal, get angry and throw yourself into paypal dispute land because you didn't read their website before placing the order, lol.

There's an entire thread here dedicated to how useful Impex is. You're not going to find yourself convincing many here.

I intended to post on the master Impex thread. But posted here by mistake. Bt anyway, here is my payment experience, pasted from the other thread:

I just received my accumulator globes from them.

Thanks to the helpful tips from this thread. To avoid having to pay the "shipping adjustment" and causing delay, you would need to give them a small extra deposit of a few US dollars (or whichever currency you use).

So first payment: by the time you complete the order online, you pay the price of the globes themselves.

Second payment: after they give you an official shipping quote about a week later, you would pay the full shipping cost, and then, go to their payment page to pay a small deposit of say $5 USD. That would prevent a third "shipping adjustment" payment which causes much confusion and delay.

For me, they charged ~$2 "adjustment" out of my $5. I wouldn't worry about the remaining $3 which can be applied in my future purchase anyway 😅

Last edited:
I intended to post on the master Impex thread. But posted here by mistake. Bt anyway, here is my payment experience, pasted from the other thread:

I just received my accumulator globes from them.

Thanks to the helpful tips from this thread. To avoid having to pay the "shipping adjustment" and causing delay, you would need to give them a small extra deposit of a few US dollars (or whichever currency you use).

So first payment: by the time you complete the order online, you pay the price of the globes themselves.

Second payment: after they give you an official shipping quote about a week later, you would pay the full shipping cost, and then, go to their payment page to pay a small deposit of say $5 USD. That would prevent a third "shipping adjustment" payment which causes much confusion and delay.

For me, they charged ~$2 "adjustment" out of my $5. I wouldn't worry about the remaining $3 which can be applied in my future purchase anyway 😅

Don't get me wrong, they actually do ship parts. But their practice of charging an undisclosed amount for shipping doesn't seem to affect smaller items, but when it comes to larger items, maybe the difference is more pronounced. $3 to $5 is no problem, but $300 to $500 is, Check out some of the review on trustpilot.com before doing business with this company. I have dealt with many others sch as Amayama, JP carparts, Fitinparts (in singapore), partsouq and megazip and never had a problem. Impex were a total nightmare from beginning to end, I eventually got refund with paypal, but it wasn't the full amount. Decided to cut my losses and leave it.

Disagree. I just got $600 worth of parts from them and everything was smooth sailing. As yngmrostrvile said, the "further charges" are shipping once they get all the parts together -- which they also note from beginning to end. Gotta read all the words, man.

Don't get me wrong, they actually do ship parts. But their practice of chargin an undisclosed amount for shipping, and only issuing credit, not refund is only a problem if they don't have a part or the order is cancelled or amended. Check out some of the review on trustpilot.com before doing business with this company. I have dealt with many others sch as Amayama, JP carparts, Fitinparts (in singapore), partsouq and megazip and never had a problem. Impex were a total nightmare from beginning to end, I eventually got refund with paypal, but it wasn't the full amount. Decided to cut my losses and leave it.

Don't get me wrong, they actually do ship parts. But their practice of charging an undisclosed amount for shipping doesn't seem to affect smaller items, but when it comes to larger items, maybe the difference is more pronounced. $3 to $5 is no problem, but $300 to $500 is, Check out some of the review on trustpilot.com before doing business with this company. I have dealt with many others sch as Amayama, JP carparts, Fitinparts (in singapore), partsouq and megazip and never had a problem. Impex were a total nightmare from beginning to end, I eventually got refund with paypal, but it wasn't the full amount. Decided to cut my losses and leave it.
So we're aware, what parts list accumulated a $500 shipping charge for you?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom