MAF Tradesman Roof Rack (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Port of Indecision...otherwise Northern Arizona
I'm looking at the MAF "Tradesman" roof rack, full length, sqare tubing, for the 80. I like the simplicity as well as the full length gutter mounts. Would be used for lightweight items (Not like Photoman's load... ;)) and occasionally sleeping up top and as a photography platform.

Anyone using one of these? Opinions? The price is pretty good at $375..

-H-

Don't forget shipping.

The ARB cost my bud about 150 bucks truck freight. That is about right for an interstate LTL single shipment by common motor carrier to a business address. (residential deliveries are higher, if offered at all)........ :beer:

BTW we are about to pass chit chat like it was up on blocks....file space anyone?

Yeah, Up, that price includes mounting channels & brackets. It appears not to be as heavily made as the ARB, but looks like it'll work for my purposes. I know there will be some shipping, but I'm willing to bet it'll still get to the door under $500.

-H-

Hltoppr,

I have the Tradesman 1/2 rack from MAF, paid about $300, IIRC. At the time it seemed like a cost effective alternative to getting the Kaymar bumper jerry can holder accessory that cost even more $$. I like the 1/2 rack as it keeps the emergency roof exit clear. (Yes, I could squeeze pass the kayak and even access the kayak's front storage hatch :D)

The rack is holding up just fine. I do leave it off most of the time, just put it on when I really need it. Another reason I like the half rack.

The fullsize racks are bulky and sometimes get cosmetic damage during shipment from Oz. FWIW, once while picking up some stuff, MAF offered me an as-is blemmed fullsize for a real good price.

ttcover.jpg

Jim, one of my concerns is being able to use a kayak stacker with a basket. I was planning on designing a basket from scratch this summer that would be full length and ride on my Thule bars and towers. I want all of my accesories to be able to work inside of the basket, may be a bit of a challenge. I think that a full length basket would make standing boats on their side more possible due to the smaller chance of front and rear riding on the sides of the basket. I think I'm still going to try the custom route.

Up, I'm in the same "boat" so to say. I've had good luck with strapping my kayak to the basket, with some padding on the basket edges. For bikes, I'll probably go with a set of the "bovine" carriers (front fork mounts) or a Thule swing away rear carrier.

Jim, thanks for the info on the rack, I think that's the way I'll go.

-H-

Has anyond had trouble with the black powder coat paint peeling? I have the full length w/mesh and it is only about two years old and I recently had to take it down and refinich the whole thing. Esoecially around the joints and welds, the paint ouuld bubble and then peel away leaving a rusty hot spot. This happened all over so I had to repaint. I used Rino Coat which is very durrable. Just wouderen if anyone has had this problem.

Absolutely, I can tie anything down any place I want. The mesh is something like aluminum so it does not add to much weight. Also, it can get scratched up and no worry about rust there. It is just the frame that I have had problems with chipping. I climb up top to organize my load and have someone lift items up.

Hltoppr -

Since this thread goes back to April, I wonder if you ever got the Tradesman, and what you think about it.

I have reduced my choices down to either the Tradesman or Garvin Wilderness rack [ ARB = too heavy; Hannibal = Too $$$; Thule and Yakima = Not well suited for expeditionary style loading / wheeling ]. I've had some convincing positive feedback on the Garvin, less though on the Tradesman (other than Jim's here).

Thanks, R -

60 inch length would be just about right ;)

The Tradesman would be my choice if I was buying a rack right now. I really like the full length gutter rail design and the mesh floor. I have a ConFerr. It's OK. Bulletproof but very heavy.

Wondering out loud if we can convince Christo to fab racks.... What are the pros and cons of a HD aluminum rack?

-B-

Cons

'spensive, hard to weld vs steel, small market.

Pros

weight, cool factor.

Another solution is what I've got - unistrut

here's the link:

http://www.unistrut.com.au/welcome_to_building_products/products/suparax

I've got a setup that takes my boat with the ladder clamps to prevent it from sliding. I don't have the mesh setup but I see that it's available too. I've had this setup since 1987 and it works great. Also good for packing lumber up top.

Take a look. I have no idea who distributes this in NA but I got mine back in 1989 from a local electrical supply firm.

Riley

on the Tradesman, any issue with the gutter mounts and the doors / weatherstripping clearance?

H, did you get one? feedback?
E

oh, and what's with this obsession with escape hatches? This would be for abbreviated water crossings?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom